Duelling changes - The West Beta!

• Thread starter DeletedUser8627
  • Start date

DeletedUser1121

If you all are planning to make this thread into a flame fest against eachother, you are all warned now. This thread is meant for discussing the new duelling system and from here on I will not tolerate any flames towards others for the way they play this game.

From here on flames will be infracted.

Take that stuff to the infamous WOSF

DeletedUser36011

i get irritated when i hear people say "exploited the job ko bug" because if a bug is left in a game for 3 years, then its no longer a bug, its part of the game. Now, regardless on if the bug has been corrected, essentially you are altering the game to anyone who only started playing during the previous 3 years. I played before hand, the update does not really bother me, but the change is driving players away. The game will go on, but i think the planning was very poor for this

I very much agree here. On that note too, the duelers cash reward not being affected by their motivation too, and this should be rectified as well, this I can live with if it isnt, but that is also a bug just like the job KO. When a fix was implemented it was one of the biggest hellstorms of flaming on the forums according to some that they can remember.

Back to the update as it is now though, I havent got many qualms with the update as such. The only thing I dont like, 24h KO time, there is really no incentive to worry about Koing a dueler since they are back in a day. What is 16h of KO to them anyway, after all they have to spend time to regenerate.

Pankreas PorFavor

When it did it become only a player vs player game?

I think it became a PvP game only when they introduced this dueling change in beta. My pure trader got dueled just 2h after the update, I got KOd, and you won't believe it, but in the next 72h I was forced to duel. that's it. it was only a PvP game for me from that point on for 3 days straight. I tried hard, I was looking all over for something else to do, but all jobs, fort battles, quests.. it was all inactive! I only had one big duel button to press and that was it... damn you Inno! and after that, I haven't been dueled at all. that's in beta, the world that's twice as populated as many of the .net worlds.

And now that this change was introduced to regular worlds, I got attacked in AZ and CO only - the worlds where my characters are skilled for duels. everywhere else, my non-duel characters are left alone. my quester, my crafter, nobody cares about them. what is it now, 3rd day after the update? I got attacked 0 times. zero. not even once. yeah, I know, this could be treated as an invite to do so, but who cares? one of the aspects of this game is the PvP concept of duels. and someone will attack me sooner or later, take my money, maybe KO me and all my energy will go to waste. from that point on, I am out of the PvP game for a while and I can do whatever I want... I will use some of the free energy buffs Inno provided me in the travelling fair and tombolas, or use the items I can craft, and I will be back to my full energy and I will do whatever I had planned. or maybe I'll just sleep in a fort or a hotel to get the energy back.

to put it in simple words - this update is good. not the best possible, but good.
too many people are overreacting. learn to play with the risk of being dueled, just like we did 5 years ago, when The West was actually a challenging game - when we had worlds with 10 or 20 times more players. I wonder why?

Last edited:

1Big Chief

Back to the update as it is now though, I havent got many qualms with the update as such. The only thing I dont like, 24h KO time, there is really no incentive to worry about Koing a dueler since they are back in a day. What is 16h of KO to them anyway, after all they have to spend time to regenerate.
I can sorta agree.. too easy for the dueler .. here's another idea
Should a dueler be KO'd on his own initiated duel.. straight 72 hour no dueling
It will be riskier for him... maybe use more nuggs & buffs when hp low ... bonus for Inno
But maybe non-duelers (& duel friends) can have a little fun (group effort).. getting rid of a mean dueler for 3 days :shootout:

DeletedUser25802

Molly Beth, pay no attention to Smiggy. He thinks we should be online to schedule a trip back home after every job so we can click the "do you want to deposit your funds" button. Of course, we don't have jobs or other real life responsibilities. :rolleyes:

dont be daft, i'm very happy you all dont do that, how else do i get my in game cash? :D

DeletedUser

here's another idea Should a dueler be KO'd on his own initiated duel.. straight 72 hour no dueling

Don't really like this option. Would seem to encourage duelers to initiate duels only against those that have no chance of knocking them out. I don't think a dueler should be penalized by not being able to duel for 72 hours for actually taking a chance and dueling someone that might actually be better than themselves. Or, maybe I'm misunderstanding this idea.

1Big Chief

Yeah.. you could be right.. but what if he already is dueling weaker players ?
If friends can get a fair posse after him.. and his hp is low enough.. he might slow down dueling for being afraid to get KO'd (if possible).. not wanting to be the one to KO himself
Just a wacky thought.. but agree with you too

DeletedUser3543

As I understand it... I can't set a 24hr vacation.. should I need one..

No you can't.

But what you can do is set four consecutive eight hour hotel sleeps which would give you 32 hours so you won't ever actually need a 24 hr vacation ;)

I think it became a PvP game only when they introduced this dueling change in beta. My pure trader got dueled just 2h after the update, I got KOd, and you won't believe it, but in the next 72h I was forced to duel. that's it. it was only a PvP game for me from that point on for 3 days straight. I tried hard, I was looking all over for something else to do, but all jobs, fort battles, quests.. it was all inactive! I only had one big duel button to press and that was it... damn you Inno! and after that, I haven't been dueled at all. that's in beta, the world that's twice as populated as many of the .net worlds.

And now that this change was introduced to regular worlds, I got attacked in AZ and CO only - the worlds where my characters are skilled for duels. everywhere else, my non-duel characters are left alone. my quester, my crafter, nobody cares about them. what is it now, 3rd day after the update? I got attacked 0 times. zero. not even once. yeah, I know, this could be treated as an invite to do so, but who cares? one of the aspects of this game is the PvP concept of duels. and someone will attack me sooner or later, take my money, maybe KO me and all my energy will go to waste. from that point on, I am out of the PvP game for a while and I can do whatever I want... I will use some of the free energy buffs Inno provided me in the travelling fair and tombolas, or use the items I can craft, and I will be back to my full energy and I will do whatever I had planned. or maybe I'll just sleep in a fort or a hotel to get the energy back.

to put it in simple words - this update is good. not the best possible, but good.
too many people are overreacting. learn to play with the risk of being dueled, just like we did 5 years ago, when The West was actually a challenging game - when we had worlds with 10 or 20 times more players. I wonder why?

Perhaps to add some balance...

In Alamagordo, my pure construction character has been beaten mercilessly since the update - to be fair he was also beaten unceremoniously before the update too, especially if I forgot when the 48hrs was up and didn't job KO myself. Since the update though he has been KO'd within the hour on all three occasions that the 72hr period was up! Within 1 hr! To me, that's not duellers picking a fight with duellers, that's beating on a builder to gain a win and pretend they've actually achieved something!

Compare that to Dakota where I have a character with duelling skills and have been duelled once in three days! Once!

If the intention from inno was to force duellers to duel duellers then from this limited information it looks like that hasn't happened....

On my other world, my pure hider is quite content to continue hiding in the woods and being a 'guest' in hotels! Until the update comes that allows the townless to be duelled ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

1Big Chief

1Big Chief said:
As I understand it... I can't set a 24hr vacation.. should I need one..
No you can't.

But what you can do is set four consecutive eight hour hotel sleeps which would give you 32 hours so you won't ever actually need a 24 hr vacation ;)

LoL... Ok .. its my fault by not explaining it properly
What I meant was that should I want to go on vacation.. having a big bounty on my head...
It takes 24 hrs for my vacation to kick in... and I will be dueled or ko'd in that time
Because I can't Job KO anymore.. or Duel KO.. else the bounty falls.

Now.. that is something they should have thought of too ;)

Last edited:

DeletedUser33353

LoL... Ok .. its my fault by not explaining it properly
What I meant was that should I want to go on vacation.. having a big bounty on my head...
It takes 24 hrs for my vacation to kick in... and I will be dueled or ko'd in that time
Because I can't Job KO anymore.. or Duel KO.. else the bounty falls.

Now.. that is something they should have thought of too ;)
You can always sign into a battle to get around that......or, better yet....call one. Keep your toon at the fort sight and call vacation time ;)

DeletedUser33797

I don`t give a flying ... anymore but get your mind straight Inno
A small update (thanks Tormented requiem)

• Duel protection will be extended to seventy two hours.
    • If you are knocked out in a duel, other players will not be able to challenge you for 72 hours instead of 48 hours.
    • http://prntscr.com/5zi5ob
    • Yes you got that right again

Pankreas PorFavor

Perhaps to add some balance...

In Alamagordo, my pure construction character has been beaten mercilessly since the update - to be fair he was also beaten unceremoniously before the update too, especially if I forgot when the 48hrs was up and didn't job KO myself. Since the update though he has been KO'd within the hour on all three occasions that the 72hr period was up! Within 1 hr! To me, that's not duellers picking a fight with duellers, that's beating on a builder to gain a win and pretend they've actually achieved something!

Compare that to Dakota where I have a character with duelling skills and have been duelled once in three days! Once!

I don't play Dakota, so I don't know what happens there but... did you step on some toes in beta? I mean, I am a member of The Abyss in beta, which is basically full of duelers that hit everything and anything, and there were times when I would get a beating every 48h because the victims of my townmates seeked revenge. but since this update - one duel, one KO, and that's it. no duels in W1, no duels in W12.. only in AZ in CO, but I expect that because people I dueled there would sometimes return the duel.
honestly, I am a bit surprised that my regular attacker hasn't showed up yet in w12, but who knows what happened to him. he hit me just before the update, but not since..
in any case - skilled for duels or not, my characters in all 5 worlds I play have no problems with it since the update. those that duel - continue to duel, those that don't now have 50% longer protection after KO. what's not to like?! "I don't want to duel button" doesn't work anymore? that's not a problem at all. I learned to play The West without that "button", I can manage.

I don`t give a flying ... anymore but get your mind straight Inno
A small update (thanks Tormented requiem)

• Duel protection will be extended to seventy two hours.
    • If you are knocked out in a duel, other players will not be able to challenge you for 72 hours instead of 48 hours.
    • http://prntscr.com/5zi5ob
    • Yes you got that right again

you need to read this thread again.
the "countdown" on your screenshot shows that you can initiate a duel in 24h, but you cannot be attacked for 72h, just like the update says. but if you do initiate a duel after 24h - then you're not protected from attacks anymore.

delldell56

erm...okay, i think i am having bigger issues with this update now. at first, i was upset that i didn't have my easy option for peace available anymore but tried to be realistic, said to myself not because i don't like it they will change it back, so i better adapt. again. but it really isn't easy, even when you plan it carefully.

last night, i finished my dailies. went back to my town and banked. had saved 40 energy points, to naked duel npcs until my hp was low enough and still have energy to duel a strong player. i took off all my gear but my yuma horse that gives zero skills. naked me managed to win most of my duels to npcs and my hp was still too high. used tea (the crafted product that gives 20% energy). won more npc duels. needed more tea. hp was still too high (and it's not like i am a tank). bought coffee from the bond shop. more npc duels won. bought mate tea, my hp was finally down to 221, time to duel a player. wore my indian set for a fast walk to the spot where my selected target was mindlessly working, stripped down again and hit the duel button. 10 minutes passed...and the report said that i won :( and i am not even skilled as a dueler!

not sure i can deal with this painful process every 3 days, especially when i have to keep checking when the 3 days are up, since my sheriff will say i am duelable after the first 24 hours.

DeletedUser6752

Looks like sales of the Indian Rites Necklace will be going up with this update - it's no longer applicable for job KOs, but it is perfect for someone who wants to go intentionally lose a dueling KO and still have full energy and health afterwards. After all, having it equipped shouldn't be a problem if you WANT to lose a duel - just wear that and nothing else and you should be all set.

Which reminds me - are there any changes to the dueling rules now that we have to get a KO that way? What I mean is, who we can and cannot duel, what we can and cannot wear for the duel, what we can and cannot discuss in chat in trying to find someone to duel ... ?

DeletedUser3543

Which reminds me - are there any changes to the dueling rules now that we have to get a KO that way? What I mean is, who we can and cannot duel, what we can and cannot wear for the duel, what we can and cannot discuss in chat in trying to find someone to duel ... ?

We have been told - on here and on here only I must stress! - that basically anything goes except for discussing aim and dodge points. However we have only been told that by the mods on here who will also tell you that if you don't like the update then go play the Sims!

There has been NO official announcement in game so be very careful as all the things that were considered 'pushing' before could well be still considered so until officially announced otherwise....

1Big Chief

You can always sign into a battle to get around that......or, better yet....call one. Keep your toon at the fort sight and call vacation time ;)
I'm not sure if that is possible.. like you can't leave a town while you are signed into a battle ?
Well... not sure if that rule even exists anymore... cause you can now take part in a battle as townless now

On the thought of initiating a battle and going on vacation... :whistle: .. well thats down right rude :laugh: (psst don't give others ideas)
Think I will have less friends.. and not to forget the drama world 1 sometimes goes thru :blink:

Pankreas PorFavor

erm...okay, i think i am having bigger issues with this update now. at first, i was upset that i didn't have my easy option for peace available anymore but tried to be realistic, said to myself not because i don't like it they will change it back, so i better adapt. again. but it really isn't easy, even when you plan it carefully.

last night, i finished my dailies. went back to my town and banked. had saved 40 energy points, to naked duel npcs until my hp was low enough and still have energy to duel a strong player. i took off all my gear but my yuma horse that gives zero skills. naked me managed to win most of my duels to npcs and my hp was still too high. used tea (the crafted product that gives 20% energy). won more npc duels. needed more tea. hp was still too high (and it's not like i am a tank). bought coffee from the bond shop. more npc duels won. bought mate tea, my hp was finally down to 221, time to duel a player. wore my indian set for a fast walk to the spot where my selected target was mindlessly working, stripped down again and hit the duel button. 10 minutes passed...and the report said that i won :( and i am not even skilled as a dueler!

not sure i can deal with this painful process every 3 days, especially when i have to keep checking when the 3 days are up, since my sheriff will say i am duelable after the first 24 hours.

don't use NPCs to get your HP down. use the same approach as for job KO - dangerous job, negative labor points, 15 sec intervals.
and in a week or two you will surely find a dueler in your range that will be able to KO you every time you attack them. it may some time to adjust, but it's easy.

DeletedUser33353

I'm not sure if that is possible.. like you can't leave a town while you are signed into a battle ?
Well... not sure if that rule even exists anymore... cause you can now take part in a battle as townless now

On the thought of initiating a battle and going on vacation... :whistle: .. well thats down right rude :laugh: (psst don't give others ideas)
Think I will have less friends.. and not to forget the drama world 1 sometimes goes thru :blink:

I was just telling you of a workaround that works Chief. As with anything, use it a your own risk :D

HelenBack

Easy fix... Attack Awesomia and set Vacation Mode there. No one cares who wins there... No need to lose friends! :cool: *HUGGLES!!!* :laugh:

Reyne

Does anyone know where you look to see how many hours you have left before you can be dueled, as in when the 72 hours is up? The sheriff's office timer seems to be connected to the 24 hours in which you can not initiate a duel, rather than how long before you can be dueled.