Duelling changes - The West Beta!

• Thread starter DeletedUser8627
  • Start date

Molly Beth

arrogance? since when is the truth been called arrogance? learn to bank your money instead of keeping it in hand, oh but no you're too lazy to do so and than complain when you lose it.

plan your game play better, when you have low energy and are about to sleep anyway go take all your clothes off and challenge a dueller you know will KO you and get a 72 hr! but no you're too lazy to work all that out,

i bet you use the TW-DB quest help all the time as well because you're too lazy to work out what to do on a quest yourself!

arrogance! LMFAO :D

What part of "I am not a dueler, I do not duel" are you having trouble understanding?

As for banking...I bank every day, sometimes twice a day. but if you queue 4 hours of work on a high cash job, that is a bit of cash you are carrying around until you can get back to town. How is it lazy for me, who is working, to want to keep the cash I earn when some random twit who thinks he is Billy the Kid can come and take it from me at will and get rich off of people who ARE actually working?

arrogance? since when is the truth been called arrogance? learn to bank your money instead of keeping it in hand, oh but no you're too lazy to do so and than complain when you lose it.

plan your game play better, when you have low energy and are about to sleep anyway go take all your clothes off and challenge a dueller you know will KO you and get a 72 hr! but no you're too lazy to work all that out,

i bet you use the TW-DB quest help all the time as well because you're too lazy to work out what to do on a quest yourself!

And as long as we are being honest here, I know that I will be dueled every now and again, I don't like it but I do accept it. For the most part, my HP is high enough that it takes multiple duels to KO me, so it isn't even that that I am objecting to. What I am livid about is the fact that as a non-dueler, I will lose points for NOT dueling...I will lose points for losing a duel (which I WILL do because I don't bloody well duel, am not skilled for it, don't have the gear, and have absolutely ZERO interest in doing) and now there will be a bunch of folks out there dueling who normally wouldn't be.

And I have ZERO recourse to stop it.

I am sure all of the people who enjoy the dueling aspect of this game are pleased that there will be more targets, but the other 3 classes of players are simply screwed. Inno has now given us the option of dueling or quitting.

THAT is what I object to...

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser34315

You won't lose experience points, just duel experience points. Unless you care about your duel ranking, there's not really anything to worry about losing duel points.

Molly Beth

You won't lose experience points, just duel experience points. Unless you care about your duel ranking, there's not really anything to worry about losing duel points.

I am still losing points that I earned. Why would I be happy that I am losing them? I DO still care about my character ranking, and that is part of the calculation.

You can dress it up how ever you want, and sugar coat it, and dip it in chocolate, but it is still screwing every single player that has no interest in dueling.

DeletedUser

My understanding is that the experience you lose when you lose a duel is a kind of 'virtual' duel experience point that has only one purpose which is to allow a characters 'duel level' to decrease.

This loss has no effect on either your experience ranking or duel ranking as the actual earned experience for these rankings is not touched and is displayed the same as before under the ranking tab.

At least that is the way they said it was to work, so there should be no effect on anybodies rankings, just their duel level.

DeletedUser35101

Hi..
As i have said it in my post many, many pages ago.. i do think that this update is mostly good!
There i also asked about one solution of this problem and got no reply..

Since i don't play beta.. regular worlds after updates come into testing :-D for me.

So now i would like an explanation.. Getting 72 hrs of duel protection is great compromise!!
Great to have that many hrs for all that don't want to be dueled.. and only for price of initiating duel on another player and getting KO.
Is also great for those that mainly only duel and find their pleasure on playing this game by dueling.. to be up and running around after only 24 hrs.. actually canceling duel protection when they find it best for them.. travel safe to target, get out of KO and set duel.. very nice!

BUT there is one slight problem to this OR is it update bug OR something devs didn't think about when working on update?!
If a person wants to do their daily list for bonds.. (talking about person who isn't dueler so won't do 2 duels on players but 3 NPC ones).. doing 3 out of 4 tasks and staying under 72 hr duel protection isn't possible!
In that case this "hey go duel and get KO and you have 3 days of peace" comes down to "hey, you get 1 day of peace"!!

Initiating duel against NPC to do daily list gets one out of dueling protection after that first NPC duel and only having it for 24 hrs..
So what are people supposed to do about that?!
Initiate duel and get KO every 24 hrs?! Now, that whole compromise thing doesn't sound so great... :-/

Please, don't tell me "we never said person has to duel another person (and not NPC) to get out of duel protection after 24 hrs.. setting duel is setting duel no matter on who" AND "getting duel protection if ones is KO by NPC was never part of game" (many things were never part of game and they are now) OR "you don't have to do daily list".

If you want to apply that than also have to change part when one gets KO by dueling NPC that he / she also gets duel protection from other players. Or something about doing daily tasks has to be changed..

Dueling NPC is way out of KO (willing and unwilling) and one is ready to duel regular players, so getting KO by NPC should give duel protection from other players! If you want to apply what we have now...

If one wants to keep NPC dueling and regular one split as it was done with mot.. than best way to sort this would be: dueling NPC doesn't affect duel protection from regular players. One can duel NPC, do daily task and still stay under duel protection.
Or people really only do have 24 hrs of protection!
Or they are forced to doing daily list every 3 days and than they will never get "Successful week" report and additional bonds.. and than you have to change that part..

Thanks,
Lucky

DeletedUser

Initiating a NPC duel has no effect on your KO status.

You'll still have the duel protection the whole 72 hours even if you do the NPC duels daily in them.

DeletedUser35101

Initiating a NPC duel has no effect on your KO status.

You'll still have the duel protection the whole 72 hours even if you do the NPC duels daily in them.

I did it last night on one world.. i dueled another player and got KO.. and my Sheriff office says 7 hrs left on protection..
EDIT: After that duel (on another player) i did refill hp / energy and did duel on 3 NPC as part of daily task.. and i didn't initiate duel against another person, but only on NPC..

Well.. ok i may try it on another world... will post later about it

EDIT 2: or sheriff only does count on for first 24 hrs, on which no one can duel?! If so.. than that has to be changed to showing real timer and going back to 0 after person initiates duel against regular player or do count down on days / hrs left for others..
And that brings up another question: What after 24 hrs when timer is back to zero in sheriff's office.. are they still under protection for another 48 hrs and how to keep track of it?!
Cause what sheriff says now and what you gave me as reply are opposite..

DeletedUser

What after 24 hrs when timer is back to zero in sheriff's office.. are they still under protection for another 48 hrs and how to keep track of it?!
Cause what sheriff says now and what you gave me as reply are opposite..

well, just keep duel report where you got knocked out and read the time. ;)

DeletedUser35352

Hi..
BUT there is one slight problem to this OR is it update bug OR something devs didn't think about when working on update?!

i guess there was probably a pool of 23 ppl voting for this matter and then "majority" decited that this was best solution...

Diggo11

I am still losing points that I earned. Why would I be happy that I am losing them? I DO still care about my character ranking, and that is part of the calculation.

You can dress it up how ever you want, and sugar coat it, and dip it in chocolate, but it is still screwing every single player that has no interest in dueling.
My understanding is that the experience you lose when you lose a duel is a kind of 'virtual' duel experience point that has only one purpose which is to allow a characters 'duel level' to decrease.

This loss has no effect on either your experience ranking or duel ranking as the actual earned experience for these rankings is not touched and is displayed the same as before under the ranking tab.
Correct. Even your duel ranking of all things will not go down if you lose a duel, let alone your regular (experience) ranking. If that is your problem with this update then you have no problem.

DeletedUser25802

why do you care about losing duel exp points if you dont duel? oh of course because you did duel to get over 300 wins! were all those duels against pure duellers? i think not, in fact i bet most, if not all, were against the type of player you are now. a whining complaining easy target that just wants the game to be played their way!

Pfft suck it up and deal with it.

Deleted User - 1693871

Correct. Even your duel ranking of all things will not go down if you lose a duel, let alone your regular (experience) ranking. If that is your problem with this update then you have no problem.

Actually the duel ranking should go down when they lose duel experience. That would put off some of the people who are right now exploiting this change by deliberately losing huge numbers of duels.

1Big Chief

Use a little energy at a high danger job and then use the last 12 energy and KO yourself in a duel.
Guess you missed the part where I don't KO myself.. and never been KO'd ever (W1)
As I understand it... I can't set a 24hr vacation.. should I need one.. cause there's no way for protection from duelers who can't do jack shyt when you're actually online.. or even sleeping online for that matter :p

But anyway.. just putting that 'bug' out there .. or/ .. stupid move/slip up ?
Again.. for the most of it... a good update.. AGAINST slimmy weak duelers.. who think they're great.. but hitting babies all day.. love it :D
Sorry ... You know who you are .. right. It had ZILCH to do with Mot Control :no:

DeletedUser35520

i get irritated when i hear people say "exploited the job ko bug" because if a bug is left in a game for 3 years, then its no longer a bug, its part of the game. Now, regardless on if the bug has been corrected, essentially you are altering the game to anyone who only started playing during the previous 3 years. I played before hand, the update does not really bother me, but the change is driving players away. The game will go on, but i think the planning was very poor for this

DeletedUser20147

For a player like me there is no downside to any of it. I am back in the dueling game again, after 2 years of being too high for anyone but the handful of usual suspects. Thank you.

DeletedUser6752

Nice blanket argument that doesn't apply to most players. Not everybody sits in front of the computer for several hours in a row or is able to come back at the exact time their work is done, or their 72 hours are up. Some of us have jobs, and can't just log in whenever we want to. I spend most of my day driving or working in different offices and have absolutely NO internet access between 9am and 6pm, but the exact times vary every day. I queue either 3 hours of work and hotel sleep, or 4 hours of work and hope I get home before I lose what little I've earned.
So should I take the day off if I really, REALLY want a safety KO? That seems to follow the logic you think you're using.
Up until now I had a routine - I would job-KO whichever of my characters were not able to duel in the evening after I got home - 1 or 2 hours after server reset, since I nearly always am home by then - and I knew I should be able to get home after 48 hours to repeat the process in order to stay safe from the duelers who always seem to be right there when I'm not able to make myself in time.
But with this update, now it's been totally randomized - I get dueled whenever the OTHER person wants to, so the countdown can very well start and end when I am not able to be online. But I'm supposed to nod and not care, because 'I was taking unfair advantage of a bug'? If it was a bug, it should have been fixed a lot sooner than this. If it was a bug, and people knowingly took advantage of it, then Inno by their own rules should have banned EVERYBODY who did a job KO. Because taking advantage of a bug is not tolerated. How are we supposed to believe it's a bug when Inno, by their inaction in that regard, leads us to believe it is a regular, intentional part of the game instead?

All of my characters at one time have been duelers - each of them have at least 750 duels - all but one have well over 1000 each. Every once in a while I will reskill and try a different aspect of the game - fort fighting, the allure of pure trader, questing - but that doesn't mean I am either done with dueling or no longer care about my dueling achievements (not the list of waypoints that give us meaningless points - by achievements I mean things I have accomplished in-game but aren't necessarily measurable) or statistics. So no, I don't like the idea of having to duel when I am currently skilled specifically to do something that is NOT dueling. I spent a LOT of time and effort in earning the bonds that paid for that reskilling potion, and I'm pretty sure I should be able to enjoy the change and the reason I made that change to my character.
I thought the appeal of this game was its wide variety of playing styles - people could play in any number of ways, instead of everybody following the same path. There are so many different things to do in The West besides dueling (many of them are even revenue-generating in their own right.) So why now are we all being forced to duel in one way or another?

Reyne

I wonder... a question for all those people that complain about duels, when did The West stop being a player vs. player game?

When it did it become only a player vs player game? If that's all it's meant to be, there are thousands of browser games to satisfy that need, with nothing to make this one stand out above the rest. Fortunately for all of us, it's so much more, and what keeps most of us here (besides the social interaction).

@Lucky Cro

There is a bug in the duel protection timer. Mine expired after 24 hours and I never dueled even an NPC. It's been reported.

And to whoever said several pages back that there is no difference between KO'ing yourself on a job or on a dueler; yes, there is, and I'm surprised you don't see it. Yes, you can get your health down on dangerous jobs prior to either method, yes you can bank your funds (assuming you aren't dueled first) prior to both methods. And we wont even talk about experience lost by losing a duel (non-duelers shouldn't care about that) But the big difference between the two methods of KO'ing yourself is this: the job KO requires no participation by others and is truly under YOUR timing, and benefits no one but yourself. And you could extend that before you came out of protection to keep people guessing when your time was up.

The dueling KO requires the participation of another person and benefits that person via a duel win for them. So unless you have a friend, someone you actually don't mind helping raise their ranking/exp, you are doing something you really rather not do. Hope that explains our thinking there.

Molly Beth, pay no attention to Smiggy. He thinks we should be online to schedule a trip back home after every job so we can click the "do you want to deposit your funds" button. Of course, we don't have jobs or other real life responsibilities. :rolleyes:

1Big Chief

Before.. In Briscoe I was happy if I had 4 targets at duells.. Now I have seven pages of them.. I mean.. S-E-V-E-N freakin pages!!! Thats awesome! Game is busy again for me :) Thank You INNO!
Yes... It is a BIG improvement (for High level Duelers)... and EVENTUALLY over time ... the non-duelers will benefit too
But it doesn't mean non-duelers won't get dueled.. for some less.. but yes there is still a chance that it could increase even more ... for that menace that duels only the weakest players possible.. to improve win-over-loss ratio .. or for town Stats

I could be guilty here too on W-1 .. as I only duel to get my name on the Town Mort (single hit).. once achieved.. I move on
Some towns make it difficult.. but eventually I get it.. always aiming for a +660-670 .. harder for others to take it off
I lose many.. but thats their luck.. I will always aim for heads.. giving them a good chance.. and me a very rare headshot :shootout:
At least my targets are around my own level... not 20-50 levels lower lol

Inno messed up splitting Duel Mot & NPC Mot... we (me included) were forced to hit weaker players but with this.. they seemed to fix it
We have NO MORE fear that we'll end up having only 5 duelers to duel later in life... so a GOOD improvement
They really did this to stop the players that live on Ego's dueling babies for fake personal Stats or Town Stats

@Lucky Cro

There is a bug in the duel protection timer. Mine expired after 24 hours and I never dueled even an NPC. It's been reported.
Don't think of it as a bug... it did its intended job then... just game changed.. He will Adjust it soon I'm sure.
As it was working... perfect example.. Inno creating bugs :laugh:

Molly Beth, pay no attention to Smiggy. He thinks we should be online to schedule a trip back home after every job so we can click the "do you want to deposit your funds" button. Of course, we don't have jobs or other real life responsibilities. :rolleyes:
:D Good 1 !