Avoiding Duels

Protasov

There is a player that seems to get great enjoyment dueling me as often as possible. That is fine, I get it, its part of the game.

So I've been looking for ways to avoid this. From what I read on the forums, there are two methods. One is to leave my town and remain town-less. The other is to knock myself out which is supposed to give me a 48-hour debuff that keeps me from being dueled.

Well, I got myself knocked out, and wound up in my town hotel sleeping. However, today once again this player is dueling me and taking my money. So I guess the debuff either didn't work or I didn't do it correctly, since its been well under 48 hours.

I'm a worker and haven't spent many points in dueling or fighting, and this player is higher level than me, so its not even a close contest. Just seems rather silly they can kill me every hour for easy cash, even though I try to deposit my money in the bank as often as possible.

Ripwise

You can knock out yourself on a high danger job or knock yourself out on another player, both options give you 48h duel protection.
Make sure you bank your cash and spend energy before doing any of two options of protection.

You can check how many hours are left till 48h protection is off in your towns sheriff building.

Personally as a worker myself, going townless works best for me because i dont have to worry about knocking myself out but everyone has there way how they want to play. Being townless sucks if you are socially involved ingame(chat, town forum).

I hope this helps and good luck :)

DeletedUser

You should bank the money everytime you get a reasonable value on your hands... or buy something from the old seller.

The 48h security is in place right after the ko (losing against npcs won´t get you the protection) on a job or by duelling a human.

Red Falcon

In my honest opinion, going town-less has always been the best option for me no matter what your character class is. And to avoid people putting bounties on you, make sure not to open the doors of the Advent Calendar early when you get it during the Christmas Event. If you do this, you have nothing to worry about. Then, you can complete as many jobs and quests as you want and get as much money as you want before banking it. And don't forget to sell all of your not needed items to the Old Mobile Trader to rake in some extra cash. Then, you can bank your money in a town. Yes, the bank deposits will be much higher, but if you play The West every single day and claim your daily bonuses, you will get 15 nuggets for free on every 5th Daily Bonus you claim...Cheers! You can then use these nuggets to deposit your money into any bank for free from anywhere on the world map...Awesome!

DeletedUser34430

Hello, Op.

There is only a few options and all of them render you to submission. Either leave your town or put yourself on 48 hour protection. The other things you can do (the least convenient I think) are to out-level your pursuer, put bounties or call friends to mitigate them and you can always strike back.

DeletedUser

Hello, I have been searching a little but I can't find an answer, what does it mean to be townless? What are the benefits and downsides? Does it make you un-duelable?

DeletedUser

Hello, I have been searching a little but I can't find an answer, what does it mean to be townless? What are the benefits and downsides? Does it make you un-duelable?

You will pay triple price for the products on the shops (old seller is a unique store, does not count).
If you are an adventure, you can use any hotel at level 2 without payment (level 4 with premium). If you are one of the other 3 classes, you will need to pay a fee to sleep.
You need to pay 20% to deposit money in a bank.

Nobody can duel you.

DeletedUser

Does it make you un-duelable?
Although I cannot personally confirm this as I always have a town. People have said that if you are NOT a member of a town, no-one can duel you UNLESS you have a bounty on your head. In this case, all bets are off. Once the bounty is collected though, you then become invisible to duellers once more. (Unless someone REALLY hates you and continually puts bounties on you. In that case, you're pretty much screwed. :( Although every time you're KO'd by a player or a job, you get 48 hours grace where no-one can duel you. :))

Ripwise

Although I cannot personally confirm this as I always have a town. People have said that if you are NOT a member of a town, no-one can duel you UNLESS you have a bounty on your head. In this case, all bets are off. Once the bounty is collected though, you then become invisible to duellers once more. (Unless someone REALLY hates you and continually puts bounties on you. In that case, you're pretty much screwed. :( Although every time you're KO'd by a player or a job, you get 48 hours grace where no-one can duel you. :))

It is indeed so, if you have a bounty on your head, going townless wont protect you from duels until you lose the bounty.

DeletedUser

(Unless someone REALLY hates you and continually puts bounties on you. In that case, you're pretty much screwed. :()

You can't put a bounty on a townless player, so leaving your town will solve that problem too ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Protasov

Well thanks to everyone for their input, I found it highly enlightening!

So for now I am going without a town. The biggest advantage I am missing out on is the cost of depositing money in the bank, but I'll live with it.

Almost 100% of my time playing is doing quests, and I'm starting to get into my Field Cook profession, so its a small price to pay to avoid getting dueled and losing money every hour!

DeletedUser33353

Sorry I am late to this discussion(work, bah). But, all of the bases have been covered by more knowledgable players than I.
IMO, the only way to stop your bully, is to put him down. Why give him/her the satisfaction of leaving town, etc?
Not really that hard do a small reskill/ gear change to own anyone in dueling nowadays....so, find someone that can show u a few things...and go smack him back. I can attest that is usually works :) Good luck.

DeletedUser36559

Yeah agree with Kidd just a small reskill and they will stop coming after you.

DeletedUser

I did that. Someone kept attacking me. I put my best duelling gear on, got me some decent skills and buffs, then attacked HIM and WON! Stopped him attacking me. :)

DeletedUser33353

Great to hear Big John1970. :) It is really the only workable solution that I have found.

DeletedUser

I am levelling up FAST and I think I may have to become a bodyguard for my friends as they are being hounded by a player who is WAAAY higher than them and they have practically NO duelling skills. (Being die-hard Adventurers.) I'll have to level up some more and then give him a bloody nose on their behalf.
The thing is, he is almost 20 levels HIGHER than them and he only attacks when they have their weakest weapons on. (Needed for jobs.) Not exactly honourable, attacking someone so low below him.

Protasov

I was the original poster in this thread, and have come back to see if someone could explain (or point me to a place to educate myself) on the exact status of dueling, protection, avoiding, etc.

I know there were some recent updates to the game in this area, and I find myself not knowing for sure how it works, this is what I believe to be the case:

1. KO from jobs no longer gives 48 hour protection.
2. Being KO'ed from a duel now provides a longer dueling protection period (but not sure how long it is?)
3. Going townless will prevent dueling.
4. You cannot be dueled while sleeping.
5. I thought I read something about not being able to be dueled if you are at a fort, or at least in queue for a fort battle? Can someone explain this?

What else am I missing? Please don't misunderstand, I am not arguing for any changes, I just want to know how things are working today. I'm a builder and basically get destroyed every time I get dueled, and its starting to happen more often than I would like, so just looking for options on avoiding it.

Edit: I did find the following page, which was very helpful. Looking at the History for that page, looks like its not very up-to-date (Except for the rewards section).
http://wiki.the-west.net/wiki/Duels

Last edited:

DeletedUser

I'll take it.
1) True.
2) Initially you are absolutely unable to duel or be duelled for 24 hours. After this 'cool-down' you have a further 48 hours where you cannot be duelled UNLESS you duel someone else. You will be warned that this will cancel your protection. If you are not a dueller, then being KO'd gives you 72 hours protection in total.
3) If townless you cannot be duelled UNLESS you have a bounty on your head. If someone wants to post a bounty on you, all bets are off.
4) True.
5) This is also true. I tried to duel someone for a quest and was told that they were involved in a fort-battle. Once the fort-battle finishes though, they are fair game. (Or should that be unfair game?) :)
Hope that helped.

Snr Sarg

I'll take it.
1) True.
2) Initially you are absolutely unable to duel or be duelled for 24 hours. After this 'cool-down' you have a further 48 hours where you cannot be duelled UNLESS you duel someone else. You will be warned that this will cancel your protection. If you are not a dueller, then being KO'd gives you 72 hours protection in total.
3) If townless you cannot be duelled UNLESS you have a bounty on your head. If someone wants to post a bounty on you, all bets are off.
4) True.
5) This is also true. I tried to duel someone for a quest and was told that they were involved in a fort-battle. Once the fort-battle finishes though, they are fair game. (Or should that be unfair game?) :)
Hope that helped.

All correct, apart from one minor amendment:

4) True. UNLESS it is within 45 minutes of a duel you initiated, in which case there is a 45 minute cooldown period in which you can still be dueled, unless you get KOed, even if at a fort waiting for a battle to start.

DeletedUser

4) True. UNLESS it is within 45 minutes of a duel you initiated, in which case there is a 45 minute cooldown period in which you can still be dueled, unless you get KOed, even if at a fort waiting for a battle to start.
Ah. Forgot about that. I stand corrected. Thanks. :)