General Game Improvements

DeletedUser

There have been a number of suggestions lately on what to do after you reach lv. 120. Looking at the big picture, they're just bandages on the wound. Yes, there are only a small number of die-hard players and yes, advertising will bring in new players, but the overall wealth of knowledge will mean more and more people will know how to 'play the game', per say. Seems rather easy, doesn't it? Just follow these instructions over here and remember those tips over there and you're well on your way to success.

Consider the game Go. It has simple rules, yet is richly complex and isn't about to be 'solved' any time soon. Now, I don't expect this to be implemented, but the west needs to incorporate some kind of strategic activity. Maybe the 'new multi-player event thing' will do it, maybe it won't. In any case, if we want to keep older players, as well as entice newer ones, I think this is one of the things that can be done to reach that goal.

The floor is open to other general game improvements.

DeletedUser

then there was no point at all for your post, troll of the plains

DeletedUser

Not really, I was inferring it needs to be more specific. How the hell does the game of "Go" have anything to do with this game? If you're talking about adding games to this game, there's poker (it hasn't been full-implemented yet, but it's there). If not, then you need to clarify what you're rambling about.

DeletedUser

what's with the need for practical suggestions all the time? If we can't even discuss abstract topics related to the west, then I have nothing else to say.....

DeletedUser

Its because 'abstract topics' as you call them are pointless. At this point, its just trash talking. If you cant give CONSTRUCTIVE criticism or ideas that would actually help, why even start?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Because it defines what direction the game should go, which is constructive. Immediately implementable ideas aren't everything.

DeletedUser5677

:blink: I think he meant the west needs to incorporate some kind of strategic activity, and should consider the game "Go". Beyond that, Ive no idea.
The Forts already have a checkerboard. ;)

DeletedUser

The game is predictable, that's all. Wait a week or two after an update and whatever new quest popped up will already be solved, with a guide made for those who waited. There are different paths you can take in the game, but you have a map telling you exactly what to expect and when to expect it. There's no element of surprise at all, so eventually people are going to quit, as a lot of them already have.

DeletedUser

So suggest random quests. This thread might not be so bad, sort of a brainstorm thread to think of ideas to brainstorm.

DeletedUser

Personally, and i've said it before, the best thing to do is to create a 6 month rolling world, so after 6 months it all gets scrapped and everyone starts again.

I think to jazz it up a bit they could do with creating a few different maps, if possible... well, it is possible but if feasible, and switch amongst them for the 6 month games. Sometimes it could be a 3 x 3 square map so everything is close and intense, other times certain jobs may be missing or very limited, sometimes it could be the same size but with all the job placements and quest towns in different places.

Ultimately though, the thrill in the game is the opening period, when anything is possible. If you mess up or join after a few months it doesn't matter because it all starts again soon.

And no-one can complain about being bored at level 120, because even if they make it they won't be there for long.

And I don't expect this to replace old worlds, but I will bet that if they had a 6 month world that kept resetting then that would sate the desire for new worlds and thus allow the longer term players to be so in the old worlds, which are less likely to die off, especially if the merges happen, because people won't be leaving W14 when W15 starts or leaving W15 when W16 starts because they want something new... they'll all be in World X and they'll be getting something new every 6 months.

I think all these online games that have no conclusion tend to miss the point that most players either find the game too late to be able to compete or it just gets a bit pointless when there isn't a finish line.

DeletedUser

that was just an example. There is some slight variability in dueling and fort fighting, but they, along with every other aspect of the game, have one 'best way' to go about them. for example, the 'only' thing you need to do to be good at fort fights is to bulk up on hp and anyone can do that.

DeletedUser

And no-one can complain about being bored at level 120, because even if they make it they won't be there for long.

No, instead the people who are NOT bored at 120 would complain. Anyone who would be bored enough to quit at 120 would have quit a year ago at 99. The ones who stayed are the ones who were NOT bored at 99.

And I don't expect this to replace old worlds

But yeah, it wouldn't be a bad idea at all for the occasional new world.

DeletedUser

I just meant one single resetting world. World X. Then the others are there forever and people who are in it for a thrill can play X those in it for the long haul can join the others.

Deleted User - 1278415

and would this world X be a complete premium system? if so then I doubt people are going to buy nuggets if the results are just going to be wiped out after 6 months (I say this as the devs are interested in making a profit off of any new world they are going to create based off this idea)

And so what about the hall of fame that gets reset every 6 months... no one would get level 120... unless your suggesting it be a speed world.

DeletedUser

It's possible to get to level 120 in under 6 months, but as you say, people aren't going to buy nuggets if their record is only going to last a month.

DeletedUser

Meh fine, here's some suggestions to ponder:

1. Create quick worlds that end in a month and restart. All tasks take 1/10th the time, including travel, duels, and fort wars. Fort wars can be initiated and fought within allotted time slots. At the end of the month, top scores are tallied, top towns, top players, etc, all displayed on a board for each month, and a total board exists holding leads wins forr all months combined. Include player medals that follow the player to the forums or to each quickworld refresh.

2. Include natural disasters: fires, tornadoes, hurricanes, droughts, floods, oh what the hell how about buffalo stampedes, locusts, and gopher invasions from the planet Gophon.

3. Have automated NPC bandits (or indian raiding parties) that travel around the map randomly causing mischief (dueling player characters, robbing town banks, burning down saloons, etc) that can be temporarily nuetralized by a concerted player effort --- all NPC bandits being passed out at the same time, resulting in a one week hiatus from their peckerings.

4. Add a list of optional "character traits," such as being blind in one eye, which lowers your accuracy but increases your appearance (seeing as how appearance in this game don't mean yer perty none), and which forces the eyepatch on your character's avatar (example).

5. Break down towns into respective parts: A resident can be assigned a business or building, receiving a token recompense from whatever business that building receives (1% gold of all business a gunsmith makes, or 1% gold of all bounties initiated and payed out from your residents, etc). Buildings require regular maintenance, which they would have to pose job offers that any worker (resident or otherwise) can act on (shouldnt be automated, as this takes away the only real task of the business owner). Maybe even restrict certain shops to certain classes.

Meh, more later. Rummage through those fer now.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I spend nuggets on the 4 old premium things (character bonus etc.). I spend nuggets on changing the travelling merchant if i'm really after something. I spend nuggets on cutting the journey time.

Personally, stopping the game after 6 months won't stop me spending those nuggets, and probably many others, as they are an aid to the enjoyment of the game.

I think a lot of people don't actually care about the individual character, but playing the game and having fun. so i still think it would work as premium.

it may also entice new people into joining older worlds, which will be fuller and they won't be getting spanked from the off because they don't know the game.

As for the hall of fame, they can be archived and should/would be different. You can have a top 10 at the end of the 6 months for different things:

XP
duelling
FF
Items collected
whiny emails
etc.

And no, had no thoughts of it being a speed round. Again, I believe those opposing the idea simply play the game differently. I may be wrong but I would suggest that most people, especially newbies, will prefer to know they can start from a level playing field soon and that the thrill of the new begins again.

Most of us don't care about having level 120 etc etc., but about having fun and playing a decent game. Plus each 6 months you can set a different target for yourself. This time a duelling top 10 or this time an Adventurer top 10, without having to start a new never ending world just to try something new.

DeletedUser

I may be wrong but I would suggest that most people, especially newbies, will prefer to know they can start from a level playing field soon and that the thrill of the new begins again.

Nope, not wrong at all. With most new worlds, there has been at least one thread asking when the next world will open by now.

DeletedUser

I wouldn't say they're newbies per say, just people who haven't played as long and don't have much experience, if any, of starting right when a world opens. And there are also always new people coming to the game, too.