Political Freedoms in China - Tibet

DeletedUser

Seriously you guys need to leave China alone.Many people in this topic are under the delusion that western civilization represents freedom, democracy or something good in this world.You do not.

3 million people got slaughtered in the liberation war of my country when western governments kept calling us terrorists.If china was a poor country who blindly follows US dictatorship none of you'd have cared what did or didn't happen in T.Square.Instead you are now spending billions to spread your propaganda.Fox history channel in my country runs the TS propaganda as a filler at least 5 or 6 times a day.I am bored so please show me something else :p

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Seriously you guys need to leave China alone.Many people in this topic are under the delusion that western civilization represents freedom, democracy or something good in this world.You do not.

3 million people got slaughtered in the liberation war of my country when western governments kept calling us terrorists.If china was a poor country who blindly follows US dictatorship none of you'd have cared what did or didn't happen in T.Square.Instead you are now spending billions to spread your propaganda.Fox history channel in my country runs the TS propaganda as a filler at least 5 or 6 times a day.I am bored so please show me something else :p
Don't confuse government with civilisation. The very fact that you can post here and read my reply is a product of 'western' civilisation.
I expect in the fight over your country, wherever it was, there were protests in 'western' capitals denouncing the war and articles in the press criticising its legitimacy. Am I right?
Compare that to the situation in China over Tibet and I think you will agree there is a difference and that that difference is, broadly, a good thing.
So why should I leave the Chinese government alone? If I think it is a bad thing for the Chinese people and I care about those people I should criticise it shouldn't I? Because the alternative is to ignore the evils & injustices in the world, and when that happens good people suffer and die. Like 3 million did in your country.

DeletedUser

Most certainly I am not saying you approve, just pointing out those who live in greenhouses shouldn't throw stones..

I'm not living in a greenhouse. I'm as much responsible for Guantamo as for China's, Russia's and some other countries' imprisonments of (political) oppositional parties.

3 million people got slaughtered in the liberation war of my country when western governments kept calling us terrorists.

The Western World does indeed represent freedom and democracy. Whether that is justified or not is a different issue. But there's no doubt that it is more free and more democratical than China (see political opposition, censorship, elections). In fact China has some serious deficit regarding this. It's not even about Tiananmen, that's some decades ago. I don't think the responsible party members are still active and you can't really blame the government now for something they didn't commit. But there are some things seriously going wrong right now.

I don't know any country that called some other country terrorists. Sure, the US mentioned some rogue states and the axis of evil, but even they only adressed the guys in charge, who run the respective countries, but not the citizens, and most certainly not the entire people.

DeletedUser

So why should I leave the Chinese government alone? If I think it is a bad thing for the Chinese people and I care about those people I should criticise it shouldn't I? Because the alternative is to ignore the evils & injustices in the world, and when that happens good people suffer and die. Like 3 million did in your country.
Well I agree with you on principles.Yes west indeed represent a particular brand of democracy,whether that's good or bad that's an entirely different thing.
You and other good people in your country may truly care but your government uses your support as an excuse to invade other countries and commit atrocities.You say you live in a democracy so your government represents you and thus you are responsible for the heinous acts your government does.One or two picnic protest in times square or in front of 10 downing street won't change this fact.I will go back to my original point many allies of US commits much more sinister crime than China does and yet I don't see western media making a fuss about it.I am not saying you don't care about those people you just care about Chinese people more. :laugh:

I don't know any country that called some other country terrorists. Sure, the US mentioned some rogue states and the axis of evil, but even they only adressed the guys in charge, who run the respective countries, but not the citizens, and most certainly not the entire people.

It was not limited to name calling or even failed attempt to pass UN resolutions against my people.They sent USS Enterprise to support the army that was killing civilians.

DeletedUser

I will go back to my original point many allies of US commits much more sinister crime than China does and yet I don't see western media making a fuss about it.

What countries and crimes do you speak of?

It was not limited to name calling or even failed attempt to pass UN resolutions against my people.They sent USS Enterprise to support the army that was killing civilians.

I don't recall that name calling in first place (regarding "terrorists"), so what do you mean?
I also don't recall any UN resolution against people, only against a country directed at its rulers.
AFAIK the US army was never sent to specifically kill civilians (other than back then dropping two bombs in Japan and accepting civilian casualties by dropping bombs in general or using artillery or whatever). But certainly there existed squads, consisting of mad, bloodthirsty, brainwashed or simply stupid guys, that made it their aim to harm as many citizens as possible. However, the aim of US invasions was never to kill civilians, but to overthrow the government ( for liberation of people, oil, pride, etc.)

Diggo11

Well I agree with you on principles.Yes west indeed represent a particular brand of democracy,whether that's good or bad that's an entirely different thing.
You and other good people in your country may truly care but your government uses your support as an excuse to invade other countries and commit atrocities.You say you live in a democracy so your government represents you and thus you are responsible for the heinous acts your government does.One or two picnic protest in times square or in front of 10 downing street won't change this fact.I will go back to my original point many allies of US commits much more sinister crime than China does and yet I don't see western media making a fuss about it.I am not saying you don't care about those people you just care about Chinese people more.
No democratic country is perfect, and just like any other system of government it is inherently flawed. In the words of Churchhill, democracy is the worst form of government except for all those ever tried. Do not be under the illusion that any government fully represents 100% of the people on every issue, even those who did vote them in, as there are a host of reasons why this may not be so. To blame the the actions of a government on its people is not always correct. Somehow Bush managed to get elected for a second term, there's a counter-example, however there were still the less ignorant minority who didn't support his fundamental policy - the war on terror - and those again who actively voiced against it. Don't stamp them over with your branding iron or you'd be just about as ignorant as it's supporters anyway.

I am not sure which "Western media" you and the Pro are constantly referring to, but I don't think you could be further from the truth in my experiences. The unfortunate political situation in China must have made prime time news a grand total of twice this year, whereas topics like Iraq during that war came up far mire regularly. At LEAST once per month, to be conservative. Neither does the Fox History channel shown here just casually show a Tiannamem Square documentary five or six times a day, as if it could fill in an adbreak perfectly, let alone use it for some form of propaganda. Even FoxNews aren't that outrageous, and that's saying something. If you honestly believe that it sounds like YOUR government is having a fun time playing THEIR false propaganda far too regularly ;)

DeletedUser

What countries and crimes do you speak of?
Every single South American dictator that was supported by US.There are numerous examples in current governments of many country.If you don't know its because you don't want to know.So there is no point in posting them here.

I don't want to go off topic here[to some extent I already have] so this will be my last reply regarding this.

I never said US sent troops to kill civilians I said they sent ship to support the army that was killing civilians.It happened 40 years ago most of us[including me] weren't even born that time.And yes US representative to the UN called our freedom fighters[my father was one of them] separatist terrorist group supported by a neighboring country.Not sure why you are surprised;they use the exact same words against Palestinians today.

The unfortunate political situation in China must have made prime time news a grand total of twice this year, whereas topics like Iraq during that war came up far mire regularly. At LEAST once per month, to be conservative. Neither does the Fox History channel shown here just casually show a Tiannamem Square documentary five or six times a day, as if it could fill in an adbreak perfectly, let alone use it for some form of propaganda. Even FoxNews aren't that outrageous, and that's saying something. If you honestly believe that it sounds like YOUR government is having a fun time playing THEIR false propaganda far too regularly ;)

So you are saying western media aren't biased?:laugh: Yes they cover Iraq story but from which point of view?They most certainly don't show the POV of ordinary Iraqi people whose country is literally ruined because of your invasion.They show the killed US soldier as he is some kind of hero who went there to save his country.Well US had no business there in the first place so if he died its your governments fault and no one elses.They always downplay the number of civilians that heroic soldier killed in his attempt of saving them.:p

Whether you agree or not even the Chinese story has two sides.Many would argue that the current economic growth in china is largely due to the political system there and it is actually good for them.Rest of the world will not follow the west blindly, we will do things in our own way.So concentrate in your own country and try to make it perfect first :)

DeletedUser

In 1971 the US supported Pakistan, which China also supported, how do you figure that one country was right for doing it and the other was wrong? You may not have been born yet when it happened, but some of us are old enough to actually remember it. Personally, I consider it one of many bad decisions Nixon made, but I'm sure there are a lot of people who disagree with me. Ironically, less than 10 years earlier, the USS Enterprise was sent to support India when they were attacked by China. I don't remember it actually being in combat either time - in '62 it was mainly to make the people in India feel more secure, and in '71 it returned home because of the threat of USSR going to war to protect India, which was the same reason China only supplied weapons rather than becoming actively involved.

For the record: most of the people you've been arguing with here don't live in the US.

DeletedUser

For the record: most of the people you've been arguing with here don't live in the US.

I know.But they do live in west.

Please show me where I said China was right.

All I am saying is US and EU show their might all over the world pretending to be the protector of human rights when it has nothing to do with human rights and is all about their own personal gain.Even after cold war US foreign policy hasn't changed which is always incite war and never admit mistakes.

At least China don't wear a white hat and claim to be saints.

DeletedUser

Please show me where I said China was right.

Originally Posted by Jesse James
I will go back to my original point many allies of US commits much more sinister crime than China does and yet I don't see western media making a fuss about it.

It sounded to me like that's what you were saying, but maybe I misunderstood... it does say allies of US (although the example you used was also an ally of China).

DeletedUser

Jesse, you're arguments are flawed. Two wrongs don't make a right. One lessor wrong doesn't make a greater wrong okay. Pointing at the U.S. sending ships near Pakistan, but not engaging in any actions does not compare to China running over their own citizens with tanks or invading a neighbor, then killing one million of its "new" citizens.

It is a typical tactic to argue, "yes I am, but so are you." It is, however, a weak and disingenuous tactic. I addressed this in my previous post to Pro100.

DeletedUser

It sounded to me like that's what you were saying, but maybe I misunderstood... it does say allies of US (although the example you used was also an ally of China).

You have taken two entirely different point and twisted it into something else.I don't need to go back 40 years to find the crimes US have committed.Anyway I was referring to the fact that US and NATO always use human rights as an excuse to attack only their enemies without following those same standard themselves.And they turn a blind eye when their friends are doing it.I am not comparing USA to China.

Jesse, you're arguments are flawed. Two wrongs don't make a right. One lessor wrong doesn't make a greater wrong okay. Pointing at the U.S. sending ships near Pakistan, but not engaging in any actions does not compare to China running over their own citizens with tanks or invading a neighbor, then killing one million of its "new" citizens.

It is a typical tactic to argue, "yes I am, but so are you." It is, however, a weak and disingenuous tactic. I addressed this in my previous post to Pro100.

I guess sending weapons knowing fully well that they will be used to commit genocide doesn't count as taking action huh?:blink:

Anyway who is deciding whats right and wrong? Western media is saying what China is doing wrong, China says they aren't doing anything wrong.As a neutral its entirely up to me to decide who i want to believe right?Well after 2003 I don't believe western media.

DeletedUser

It wasn't so much the western media that wasn't being honest in 2003 (if you're referring to the start of the war on Iraq); it was those who were giving them their information. A lot of people in the US lost faith in that administration for the same reason.

DeletedUser

Every single South American dictator that was supported by US.There are numerous examples in current governments of many country.If you don't know its because you don't want to know.So there is no point in posting them here.

I don't want to go off topic here[to some extent I already have] so this will be my last reply regarding this.

I haven't read pro-dictator (or "rogue-state") propaganda/news in any media. At least not in the politics/society part. Economics is a different matter, there are quite a few good news for economic partner countries regardless of their respective political system. In fact this includes China, which is praised really often.

So, let me get this straight...I don't know anything about your claims. I want to know more by asking for details. You say, asking for that shows lack of interest and hence you refuse giving answers to that altogether.
Okay, that makes sense and it certainly doesn't appear the way, that you don't want to go into detail and defend your position. :blink:

And yes US representative to the UN called our freedom fighters[my father was one of them] separatist terrorist group supported by a neighboring country.Not sure why you are surprised;they use the exact same words against Palestinians today.

So one US representative becomes "western governments". An interesting enhancement.
I'm surprised because I haven't heard that. And Palestinians aren't called terrorists either, but civilians who are unfortunate to happen to live in a seemingly unsolvable political struggle. I really have no clue where your claims come from.

They most certainly don't show the POV of ordinary Iraqi people whose country is literally ruined because of your invasion.They show the killed US soldier as he is some kind of hero who went there to save his country.Well US had no business there in the first place so if he died its your governments fault and no one elses.

Oh, I thought this video (appearing on a public broadcasting network) about Iraqi people suffering from the invasion was real. Thanks for pointing out that not only this video but also others and many articles I read are a mere product of my imagination. :eek:

DeletedUser14029

Yeah >.<
and so why exactly do Americans feel justified to say they do better than the Chinese, more human rights, so on and so forth, and so can stand on moral high ground and rain in tons and tons of falsified media crap on us? 'cause China was raped and torn from 19th Century onwards until 1950 (then came our 'brilliant' idiotic leader Chairman MAO =.=), disregarded, and everything, while the Americans live in a more peaceful and developed country, and quite frankly no major wars on its soil? We also have to take care of a LOT more mouths...

Concerning the Tibet problem, please refer to my previous posts. Baffles me how some crappy western media still chant the 'free Tibet, an undersiege state' slogan, when it was owned since Qing Dynasty & never recognized by any country or the UN as a state ^^"
but then of course, I do not prefer having the rich peasants/wealthy/monks killed, rather to work at the farms. Somehow I feel someone shot because of their status is just not right. the particularly exploitation-apt ones are of course, exempted from this.

I do hope you can enclose a link to me in a private message for the 'tank crushing students' photos, and I will happily show you footage of burnt tanks & trucks by rioters using molotovs and totally burnt bodies of unarmed soldiers. The photo that you posted - sorry, shows PLA with guns. Didn't see any muzzle flame or anything. but I do admit there was live rounds fired, I never denied that.
but massacre? nope.
Thousands dead? hardly.
numbering hundred or hundreds? yeah, sadly.
Tank crush students? Didn't know Chinese tanks got ultra-silent mode, really. Even a deaf can feel the vibrations caused by tank. Strange how if a tank is approaching, you decide to lay there, you got crushed - admist the darkness/chaos its not impossible the tank commander couldn't see what was ahead - then came the deliberately crushed students thing. However I will rather belive it was not true but some crap fabricated by Ms. Chai just to feed the western media and secure residence and media attention in the States. You should read other June 4th Incident articles/forums by the Chinese. Even those against PRC condemn her for telling lies and trashing everything, even human lives.

I am not a die-hard PRC fan that says everything done by PRC or the CCP is right - June 4th Incident is a regrettable, but sadly necessary measure taken by the PRC to ensure national stability. I would LOVE to hear a story how - assuming CCP left - the whole China will continue to function. I just don't buy the idea democracy works in China, given the conditions. I will prefer improved totalitarian control. and hey, we're just into the beginning stage of Politcal Reform as planned. I long for the improvements and changes to come ^_^

Edit:
While you blame PRC for liberating Tibet, 'killing a million at that province'
Americans ship their soldiers across the world and kill locals here and there. Hardly a difference. At least we have the decency to keep the trouble to ourselves :D

DeletedUser16008

Im going to focus on Tibet here as thats the thread. So ill start with a simple history as currently understood from records as they stand and as we are currently lead to believe. The number of writings/histories and accounts bare out this short history below in order that you can make your own mind up whether Tibet is a subjected/annexed country or simply a state of China

Tibet and China: Historical Relations

Survey of historical relations between and China (7th-21st centuries)

The distortion of history for political ends is a feature common to almost all international disputes. This is especially true in the case of relations between China and Tibet. Modern Chinese historians have regularly tried to prove that Tibet has historically been a part of China. The following examination of a selection of historical periods and incidents is an attempt to explode some of the myths surrounding this issue.

Relations between the Tibetan Kings and the Chinese Tang Dynasty (7th-9th centuries)

The first recorded contacts between Tibetans and Chinese took place in the 7th century, following the unification of Tibet under King Songtsen Gampo and the establishment of the Chinese Tang Dynasty. Two incidents are regularly mentioned during discussion of this period: the marriage of a Chinese princess to Songtsen Gampo in 641, and a peace pledge signed between the two countries in 821.
The Chinese claim that through this marriage and a series of meetings and alliances, the Tibetans and Chinese "cemented political and kinship ties of unity and formed close economic and cultural relations, laying a solid foundation for the ultimate founding of a unified nation" Tibet: Its Ownership and Human Rights Situation, China White Paper, 1992; p.3).
In fact, these incidents show that at this time Tibet and China were independent states of equal strength. The marriage alliance of 641 was sought by the Chinese after Tibetan armies had captured towns in Sichuan province (Tsepon W.D. Shakabpa, Tibet: A Political History, 1967; p.26). The treaty of 821, despite its familial language (the so-called "uncle-nephew" relationship), actually defined relations between two "fully sovereign states" (Josef Kolmas, Tibet and lmperial China, 1967; p.11).

Tibet and China under the Mongols: The Yuan Dynasty (13th-14th centuries)

During the early-13th century, Genghis Khan united the nomadic tribes of north Asia into a powerful Mongol confederation, which soon grew into a continent-spanning empire. Both Tibet and China fell under the control of this empire: the Tibetans after peaceful submission in 1244-47, and the Chinese following the defeat of the Jin Dynasty in northern China (1234) and the subsequent Mongol conquest of the southern Song Dynasty (1235-79).
Chinese historians now claim that Tibet was thus "officially incorporated into the territory of China's Yuan Dynasty" (China White Paper; p. 3). They then go on to argue, somewhat inexplicably, that "this unification of the whole nation conformed to the advance of history and the desire of all nationalities" (Wang Furen & Suo Wenqing, Highlights of Tibetan History, 1984; p.57).
That Tibet and China both came under the political influence of the Mongols far from indicates unification of the two countries, though. Northern Burma, North Vietnam, Korea and large areas of Siberia were likewise all part of the vast Mongol Empire, yet none are claimed by Beijing today. Tibetan monks in fact enjoyed some dominance in religious. affairs, after "Lamaist" Buddhism was made the official religion of the Mongol Empire.

The Emergence of the Dalai Lamas and the Chinese Ming Dynasty (l 5th-17th centuries)

By the 15th century, political authority in Tibet had passed into the hands of contending religious hegemonies, which were eventually replaced by a system of rule under the Dalai Lamas. In China, the native Ming Dynasty overthrew the Mongols, and then concentrated much of its attention on economic expansion and maritime exploration.
One of the most incredible arguments from the Chinese side is that the Ming Dynasty somehow inherited a territorial claim to Tibet from the Mongols. But there is no evidence whatsoever to suggest that Tibet was subordinate to China at this stage. Communication did continue between the Ming emperors and Tibetan lames, but there is some contention about its level and significance. Again, during this period both Tibet and China existed as separate and fully sovereign states.

Tibet under the Influence of the Manchus: The Qing Dynasty (18th-19th centuries)

In 1644, Manchu armies captured Beijing and established the Qing Dynasty. During their expansion into southern China, local resistance was crushed with brutal violence. In Tibet, the 5th Dalai Lama therefore sought to establish peaceful relations with this emerging Manchu power, and was subsequently invited to Beijing in 1652.
Over the course of the next 50 years, the Manchus were able to exploit differences between rival groups within the Tibetan Government, and so established some degree of influence in Lhasa: Manchu officials, 'ambans' were stationed there from 1728 until the fall of the dynasty in 1911. There is, however, much disagreement over the actual extent of their power. Chinese claims that the ambans enjoyed "equal standing with the Dalai Lama and the Bainqen Erdeni [Panchen Lama]" (China White Paper; p.8) seem somewhat exaggerated, and even during a period of Manchu expansion under the Qianlong Emperor (1736-95), they were instructed "not to interfere in the internal policies of Tibet and to refrain from exploitation" (Tsepon W.D. Shakabpa; p.148).
Tibet did fall under some form of Manchu "protection" at this time - subordinate in name to a government in Beijing; and the region of Amdo was placed under direct military control after an anti-Manchu uprising in 1724. But this government and occupation, just like that of the Mongols, was not an ethnic Chinese one, and suggestions that Tibet became an integral part of a "Chinese" empire during this period are wholly indefensible.

Tibet Subject to 'Western Aggression': The Simla Convention (1914)

By the end of the 19th century Tibet had acquired massive strategic importance for Britain and Russia, as both were in the process of expanding their imperial "spheres of influence" in Central Asia. After a series of trade missions and then military expeditions (such as the Younghusband expedition of 1904, which exposed the weakness of the Manchu hold over Tibet), the British were able to gain an advantage, and so convened a tripartite conference to discuss Tibet's status at Simla in 1914.
The Tibetans arrived at the conference with written evidence proving the historical independence of Tibet. The Chinese delegation simply argued that Tibet's subjugation by the Mongols and the Manchus proved it had become an integral part of China, and should therefore now be ruled as part of the new Republic of China from Beijing.
Negotiations were difficult, and the solution eventually put forward recognised Chinese "suzerainty" over Tibet, but guaranteed the autonomy of western Tibet, and provided for complete Tibetan control over internal affairs. The Chinese representative at the conference initialled the agreement, but did not proceed to a full signature under pressure from Beijing. Britain and Tibet then declared that they would abide by the provisions of the agreement, while China would be unable to enjoy any of the privileges contained within.
The Chinese now claim that their failure to sign the agreement left it "null and void", and argue that "the Simla Conference has gone down in the annals as an ignominious deed by British imperialism" (Wang & Suo; p.153). The legal status of the Simla Convention is still open to debate, but its true significance lies in its recognition of Tibet as an independent nation with which binding agreements could be negotiated (eg: the Lhasa Treaty of 1904). Throughout the Nationalist (Guomindang) period, no Chinese government was able to exert any influence over Tibet.

Communist Invasion (1949-59)

The invasion of Tibet by troops from the People's Liberation Army in 1949-50 is described in official Chinese histories as a "peaceful liberation". A Seventeen-Point Agreement was signed between the Communist Government and Tibetan officials in May 1951, which apparently "enjoyed the . approval and support of the people from every ethnic group in Tibet" (China White Paper; p. 14).
In fact, discrimination and the suppression of traditional practices in eastern Tibet drove hundreds of Tibetans up into the mountains to conduct guerrilla warfare, while thousands more fled west to Lhasa to escape Chinese persecution. In March 1959, growing Tibetan resistance exploded in an uprising against the Chinese occupation. The 14th Dalai Lama fled into exile in northern India, and the subsequent Chinese crackdown in Tibet was brutal. Even the Chinese figures record 87,000 deaths in the National Uprising and its aftermath; Tibetan sources suggest as many as 430,000 were killed in the Uprising and subsequent years of guerrilla warfare.

Conclusion

Over the course of their historical relations, Tibet and China passed through periods of strength and dominance and times of weakness and division. Both were able to threaten or influence their neighbors on occasion. But East Asian perceptions of international relations were fluid enough that countries could be subordinate to a neighbor, even for considerable periods of time, without losing their sense of independence. This was especially true in cases where a nation was able to maintain a distinct identity.
Many modern Chinese historians have claimed that those countries which fell under the imperial influence of various Chinese dynasties somehow became integral parts of China. This is a misleading argument, based solely upon a doctrinaire misinterpretation of historical facts. Tibet has always maintained a distinct cultural, religious, linguistic and ethnic identity, and this is proof enough to support its claims to independence.

All attempts to discuss Tibet are bedeviled by the Chinese redefinition of the country's borders since 1949. Here the term Tibet is used to refer to the three original provinces of U'Tsang, Kham and Amdo (sometimes called Greater Tibet). When the Chinese refer to Tibet they invariably mean the Tibet Autonomous Region (TAR) which includes only one province, U'Tsang (the TAR Divas formally inaugurated in 1965). In /949 the other two provinces, Amdo and Kham, were renamed by the Chinese as parts of China proper and became the province of Qinghai and parts of Sichuan, Gansu and Yunnan provinces.
[SIZE=-1]This information was compiled by Tibet Support Group, UK 9 Islington Green London N1 2XH England.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Additional material was added by the Australia Tibet Council PO Box 1236 Potts Point NSW 2011 Australia.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]For more information contact your local Tibet support group. (February 1996)

My own Conclusion

Tibet is in a strategic location and is an occupied Country with a subjected people.[/SIZE]As stated above Tibet has always maintained a distinct cultural, religious, linguistic and ethnic identity. Add to that fact Tibet have had their own appointed rulers over the centuries. There is a clear history of self government and hierarchy, first as kings and later as religious leaders.Tibet did not declare war on its neighbor it was simply invaded not Liberated as PRC claim

Tibet is an invaded country by a foreign power occupied since that date, its people subjected & abused on all levels, whatever else comes up in the details re Independence this cannot be disputed...

Further information here Re Tibet & China etc. Whilst Im not saying its not biased I am saying its far more factual date and incident wise & history balanced based than anything else ive read before on the Tibet issue.
http://tibet.dharmakara.net/TibetFactsIndex.html#half

DeletedUser

Excellent post Victor. Little more needs to be added to that well presented argument. As such I'm going to return to the tangent, Tiananmen Square. First let me address the tank issue:

Tanks can and do obtain speeds of 40+ mph (70+ mph). Even as far back as WWII, tanks were capable of such burst speeds. Driving a tank through a crowd, you will end up running over some people. Stop trying to argue it didn't happen by claiming it's not possible, when there is footage and photo clearly showing that it did and that tanks were driven through the streets of Beijing at speeds in excess of 30 mph during that documented event.

Part of the problem with your arguments here are that you are posing revisionist history, ignoring what occurred and jumping to claim they were justified. The fact is, the protest started on or about April 17th. The protests, all peaceful, came into full swing on May 4th. Later that same month, a hunger strike ensued, including over 1000 students, educators, and scholars. By the 27th, over 300,000 people were participating in the protests.

Before I continue, let me indicate that this was openly videotaped by Chinese media services at the time, as what occurred later. It was not being videotaped and broadcast by mere "western" sources.

Internal pressure within the Communist Party of China (CPC), led by Li Peng, insisted on military intervention to break up the protests, despite the protests being peaceful. The stated initial reason was to end it before anyone died from starvation (hunger strikes, remember?). Later, paranoia set in and the CPC became obsessed with the notion that the West was negatively influencing the protesters (despite these protesters having little to no contact with the Western world during this event).

One of the first incidents was a police jeep having run over four citizens as it cleared a path for the PLA troops, killing three of the citizens. In response, protesters (hunger strikers and otherwise) lined the entryways to the Square, preventing entry of military personnel and their respective vehicles.

What later ensued was a battle between citizens and the military. Soviet estimates are about 3000 citizens killed. Ultimately, this could have been avoided if the CPC didn't send in military units to disperse a "peaceful" protest. There was no need to do what they did, except to demonstrate force of will.

And that is the brutal lesson of Tiananmen. Politics is about force. It doesn't matter the will of the people, only it's leaders' willingness to use arms to enforce their own will.

Sources:

Tiananmen Papers (China - CPC)

U.S. Tiananmen Papers (United States - CIA)

A Tiananmen Square, 1989 - The Declassified History (U.S. Embassy correspondence)

Soviet Archives - (article)

Soviet Archives - (documents)

Prisoner of the State: The Secret Journal of Premier Zhao Ziyang

Article summarizing The Secret Journal

Summary of events

And other sources

Photos:

(WARNING -- THE BELOW LINKS CONTAIN EXTREME GRAPHIC MATERIAL. IF YOU ARE UNDER 18 YEARS OLD, PLEASE OBTAIN PARENTAL PERMISSION)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_rUyDhdZLn...oQFXRKfYs/s1600/tiananmen-square-massacre.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_rUyDhdZLn...883u1Vq690/s1600/tiananmen-square-crushed.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Q_Kixfvq1lY/SiU_JoBRSkI/AAAAAAAAArE/H7ittnFQZnU/s400/tiananmen_Murders.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Fd-lgkitT.../s400/tiananmen-square-massacre-body-bags.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Fd-lgkitT...WKpJWU/s1600-h/tiananmen-square-massacre2.jpg

http://toocan.com/lunog/media/blogs/misblog/images/frontline_tank_man.jpg

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/images/stories/large/2009/06/04/4fourfngzhng.jpg

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/images/stories/large/2009/06/04/6sixxx.jpg

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/images/stories/large/2009/06/04/8eightx.jpg

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/images/stories/large/2009/06/04/victimsone.jpg

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/images/stories/large/2009/06/04/victimstwo.jpg

http://photos.thefirstpost.co.uk/assets/library/090526nipTiananmen_11--124300627939687800.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_oIAhQMTG-...incredible-amazinf-rare-photos-images-006.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_oIAhQMTG-...incredible-amazinf-rare-photos-images-026.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_oIAhQMTG-...incredible-amazinf-rare-photos-images-030.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_oIAhQMTG-...incredible-amazinf-rare-photos-images-005.jpg

http://www.cnd.org/June4th/photos/mascr014.gif

http://www.cnd.org/June4th/photos/mascr011.gif

http://www.cnd.org/June4th/photos/mascr009.gif

http://www.cnd.org/June4th/photos/mascr003.gif

http://www.cnd.org/June4th/photos/mascr001.gif

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzHF2Z9cHNY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGJoaHr2QdM

Let me end by asking a few simple questions --- At what point is suppression by use of lethal force acceptable? At what point is it justified to use live "hollow point" ammo on your own citizenry? At what point is it justified to use tanks on your own citizenry?

DeletedUser9470

At what point is suppression by use of lethal force acceptable? At what point is it justified to use live "hollow point" ammo on your own citizenry? At what point is it justified to use tanks on your own citizenry?

that is the same as asking: at what point should anyone resort to physical violence?

indeed there is absolutely no need for any physical violence.
kids know what is right and what is wrong. how come adults do not?

as always the "do as I say, not as I do" rule comes in to play.
no country is perfect, no doubt anyone can have a go at any nation for past atrocities.

we shouldnt be competing in who is the best or the worse

Quote from Star Wars?:
And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.”

I think the point is to denounce so that action can be taken. a problem cant be solved if we dont know where it lies...
I think that these problems though are already known by most, and as such we all know that nothing will change, regardless of our efforts.
individual wealth is a lot more important. this battle is in vain.

DeletedUser

@ThePro100. The last few posts have really said it all.
I'm neither American or Chinese. US foreign policy is often heavy-handed, as is Chinese internal repression. Neither are perfect societies, but on virtually every metric American society out-performs China: human rights, government accountability, free speech, uncensored media, standard of living, life expectancy, infant mortality, air quality.... the list goes on. How many people are trying to emigrate to America? ... and China?
I understand that China had a more advanced culture in the past and that it must be painful for the modern Chinese to see how other nations have overtaken them, but the answer to that is progress & clean up your own act, not to fling mud at others in the hopes that that will make you look cleaner. I would love to see a free, democratic, pluralist society take root in China because it would be of benefit to hundreds of millions of people. What saddens me is that your angry, blinkered, nationalist, bitter view of the world helps nobody - least of all the Chinese.
But if shouting about America is a sort of therapy for you, then that's okay, I understand.