Dueling: Dodging

DeletedUser

"You can choose not to try to dodge and have more concentration for the next round. This doubles your attack value." from wiki.

"This round you aim and improve your chances of hitting in the next round. However this also makes you good target." from in game.

Attack value = damage or aim?

DeletedUser16008

It doubles your aim.

I have to disagree i spent a good 3 mths or more not dodging and dueling... it certainly does not double your aim perse. I pushed my aim to over 120 and was certainly NOT getting hit results of another player having 180 aim and still dodging yet according to popular belief of doubling aim i should have had in the region of 240 aim... more than enough youd have thought.

doubles your attack value is what it says and its not the same thing.

DeletedUser

Aim and Dodge are "random" numbers

I have to disagree i spent a good 3 mths or more not dodging and dueling... it certainly does not double your aim perse. I pushed my aim to over 120 and was certainly NOT getting hit results of another player having 180 aim and still dodging yet according to popular belief of doubling aim i should have had in the region of 240 aim... more than enough youd have thought.

Aim and Dodge are random numbers. You doubled the range within which a random number could be generated.
If you have 100 aim, your aim for any round will be within 1 and 100;
double that and you get a random number between 1 and 200.

Then you have the aim and dodge in the duel window. Where were you aiming exactly?
Head, shoulder hand? Even if you land a hit with the aim/dodge comparison, you can still miss because you "aimed wrong" and the other guy "dodged away".

A short lesson on random number generation:
If i have one die and you have two dice-
i throw a 3, you throw snake eyes - you lose.
then you double your dice to 4 and with bad luck, you get 4 ones.
Maybe i get a 5 with my one die and beat you even though you have 4 dice.

Dueling in The West is a game of luck.
LOL, yawl thought that since you were setting "skills" that it was a game of "skill"?
:laugh:

DeletedUser6914

Aim and Dodge are random numbers. You doubled the range within which a random number could be generated.
If you have 100 aim, your aim for any round will be within 1 and 100;
double that and you get a random number between 1 and 200.

How do you know it works like this? Is there anywhere the mechanics of dueling is explained? I'd like to know them.

DeletedUser

I agree with what you said, but the aim thing is what most people believe. I honestly can't figure some parts of dueling. The same way my resistance soldier gets far better results while dodging without any dodging at all, instead of standing still.

DeletedUser

Rtfm

How do you know it works like this? Is there anywhere the mechanics of dueling is explained? I'd like to know them.

I know [sic] it works like this because i Read The Fine Manual.
Actually, ... "i assume" it works like in the Help says; dunno how many errors the Help has.

The Fine Help said:
The attack value is decided by your aiming skill. ... For this a random value is taken between one and the attack value, ...

DeletedUser

I agree with what you said, but the aim thing is what most people believe. I honestly can't figure some parts of dueling. The same way my resistance soldier gets far better results while dodging without any dodging at all, instead of standing still.

If you stand up, your opponent will "aim correctly" *every-time*.
If you dodge, your opponent will "aim wrong" quite often.

DeletedUser

Yes but I have no dodging. With a base of 10(?) and no tactics even if I dodge correctly I should still be hit most of the time. It should be the same as standing still, however, while standing still, my attack value should double yet the results are more than poor.