town sheriff

DeletedUser

Proposal
Town members can become a sheriff of their town and take the place of other town members in duels.

Current Workaround
some leave their town to be safe from dueling.
some try to keep their builders safe with threats and retaliation.

Details
any town member can be appointed as a sheriff of their town. A founder or counselor can be a sheriff as well.
a town can have 2 sheriffs maximum (think: sheriff and deputy sheriff).
a town sheriff is appointed by a town founder (in the same way he appoints founders and counselors).
town members decide whether they want to be protected by a sheriff or not. They do this at the mortician. (see first screenshot)
if a sheriff meets the duel requirements, he will take the place of anyone who wants to be protected. (see duel requirements below)
the sheriff with the highest dueling rank will go first.
a sheriff can't be protected by another sheriff.
if a sheriff loses, he loses his own money as he would in a normal duel.
the resident list of the town shows who the sheriffs are and those who want to be protected. (see second screenshot)
the saloon list of the town shows who will be protected (see third screenshot)

Sheriff advantages
+1 tactics skill for each town member, including himself (not enhanced by soldier advantage).
+100% health recovery after defending in a duel, till he is fully recovered.

Sheriff duel requirements
can't be sleeping
has to have at least 50% health (so the sheriff won't go KO constantly).
a sheriff still has to wait 48 hours after being KO'd.

Visual Aids
(screenshots from random towns)
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/1333/sheriffmortitian.jpg
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/1496/sheriffresident.jpg
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/1638/sheriffsaloon.jpg

Summary

a sheriff risks his own health and money to protect his town.
people won't have to leave town to prevent being dueled.
pure builders should also feel safer.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser15169

hmm not so sure that would work out, then you cant wage a proper war on anyone who is attacking you constantly

DeletedUser

I think the devs are still thinking of a way to do this. It could work, but like j dahl said, you cant wage a proper war.

Diggo11

There are ten levels of the residence, which means 10 Sheriffs rather than 5. Just make it one Sheriff, and who he is protecting is invisible to outsiders.

DeletedUser

I think maybe there should be one sheriff, and a deputy. Making 2 sheriffs rather than only one. I agree that 5 is too much, I think 2 would be good.

DeletedUser

Yes you guys are right, 5 is way too much. I changed it to two so you would have sheriff and deputy sheriff.

War is still possible though, you just need to get the sheriffs health below 50% and try to attack while he is sleeping. If you KO him, you would have 48 hours without his help.

DeletedUser

I think it's a great and workable idea.

I do think though, that it should be one Sheriff and a max of two Deputies.

It should be related to level of residence:
Lv 3 you gain the Sheriff
LV 6 you gain a Deputy
Lv 10 you gain the final Deputy

I think it would add to wars as you would have to make a concerted effort to knock out the Sheriff and any Deputies before attacking the rest of the town.

DeletedUser

Really like this.
Think it should be max of 2.
Sheriff available lvl5 residence.
Deputy available lvl8.

DeletedUser1105

What happens if the sheriff is outside of the dueling range of the attacker?

DeletedUser

What happens if the sheriff is outside of the dueling range of the attacker?

I think the attacker won't be able to duel the sheriff (in the case, neither the ones protected by him)

Anyway it's a cool idea: workers should feel more safe

DeletedUser1105

I figured that, but it just needs answering and adding to the original post.

The health recovery bit too seems a little bit powerful, also.

DeletedUser

On the face of it I quite like the proposal , however I would prefer that the Sheriff decided who to protect rather than the townsperson starting protection , and outsiders being unable to see who has protection and who hasn't.

One possible problem that I havent seen addressed though is Dueling levels.

I'm not sure how this would work ... it could be feasible that Mr noob dueler comes to town really excited looking for a nice juicy target to try out his brand new boomerang:ph34r:.

He finds the perfect candidate and attacks ....... Then BAM out comes the big bad sheriff weilding Hernados :laugh:... 300+ headshot and tears before bedtime

Need some restrictions on levels you can protect , but then that opens up more problems ...... Can someone "sneak under" the protection if the sheriffs dueling level is too high and still attack the protected townsman?

Nice idea ,this is one of the best idea's for implementing sheriffs, but actually getting the practicalities sorted when taking dueling levels into consideration could be quite a balancing act.

Edit LOL I take too long typing , the dueling levels prob has been brought up )

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I like the idea.

I guess players wishing to duel someone under sheriff protection, but out of range level wise of the sheriff could only see the normal 'duel' button to make life easier.

DeletedUser

That was my idea Mangyflea :p I thought if the attacker is out of the Sheriff's duelling range, just don't show the 'duel sheriff' button. :) That'd work I guess. Also, maybe the sheriff should do something like 'confirm protection'.

Example
Player X is a worker and would like the sheriff's protection. He goes to the mortician and clicks the 'start protection' button. The sheriff of the town gets a message saying that Player X wants his protection. And just like an invite for a town, he can click on the green or red button, approving or disapproving Player X's request. :)

DeletedUser

Good point about the dueling range. You kind of want the sheriff to be able to protect his lower level friends, but it would not be fair for duelers. Multiple sheriffs could cover a bigger range of levels instead. Or cover a certain range of levels really well.

Muf-Muf, I like your idea about how to set protection. In my proposal I wanted it to be simple to use for everyone. Those who want to be protected say so and the sheriff simply gets appointed. This way people wouldn't lose their protection if the town switched sheriff for whatever reason. Maybe a town founder should set who gets protected by the sheriff. So he can organise it all and people place their requests with him.

The problem is, you kind of want the sheriff to be able to disagree to be appointed and the others to be able to disagree to be protected. But I guess people could always leave town if their founder makes too many stupid mistakes.

DeletedUser

Hmm, running away if you don't like them is not always a solution :p Maybe it would be nice to do it the other way around:

Sheriff gets appointed. And if he doesn't like it, he can cancel the protection, in stead of having to approve in the first place. :) That way the Player X from the previous example would get protection, unless the Sheriff clicks the 'I don't want to protect you'-button. ;)

Anyways, I think you should give the sheriff the option to refuse protecting (certain) people. :) Whether it is approving the protection request or cancelling protection, doesn't really matter to me. :)