Duel "Jobs"

• Thread starter DeletedUser3741
  • Start date

DeletedUser3741

Edit - You would still be able to duel other players you just have the OPTION to duel NPC

IE - You can duel Players OR NPC

Whichever you feel like doing at the moment

====================================================

This suggestion is simple

There appears new jobs that are "duel jobs"

they function like normal 2 hour jobs

they have no actual labor point requirement, but when you do the job, you get a duel report back, instead of a regular job report

the duel "job" will give set you up with a random NPC opponent to duel with, carrying a random amount of money based on the the NPC level

this job will use your normal dueling motivation

The enemies you duel is randomed between + or - 5 levels (this can also be decided by some complex formula)

The enemy will have skills in all their dueling skills so that they wont be push overs, probably 2 x level, in every skill

so a level 15 NPC dueler would have
30 shooting, 30 vigor, 30 reflex, 30 toughness, 30 dodge, 30 aim, 30 tactics, 30 appearance, 30 healthpoints

while they will have more total stats then a normal player, in reality since most stats wont be used in a duel anyways, this becomes reduced, not to mention they wont have equips

of course this can be changed as needed

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser3741

yes, they will be similar to those found in those quests, but will be readily available to duel at any time for xp and money

this is also a good way for players who want to duel but are dont want to anger anyone, or for duelist to have a "practice grounds"

not to mention that if the duelist are dueling NPC that builders and adventurers will find a bit more peace

DeletedUser5046

hmmm... not bad...

is there a way you will know which of the NPC will be uhm...suited to duel your level...

and what if you lost? will the NPC get your money?

DeletedUser

In order to balance this against working on jobs that obviously take a longer time than duels (same amount of energy used), the level of difficulty should be tweaked imo.

Or else it might be "abused" as a faster way to gain xp and level?

Item drops can also be included (random duel wins) to make it more fun I guess.

Yeah, fighting Scar the Bandit would be fun, why not? :)

DeletedUser1105

You are definately onto a good idea here.

As long as the figures were done fairly I can't see a problem with this.

DeletedUser

As a refinement, you could make the job unavailable for 48 hours if the NPC gets knocked out. This should prevent some abuse.

I think you would need a different NPC of each level in each map sector otherwise it could get a bit messy. Maybe there's a 'bandit hideout' in each sector; that would hold different outlaws of the various levels; they randomly change every so often. It would be a bit like the saloon in an 'enemy' town; it lists the bandits available to duel using the standard dueling rules.

Hmmm, that's an idea for a quest here - "Finding the Bandit Hideout". It's given by the sheriff when you choose a character class.

Bandit Hideouts would work nicely as NPC towns - the only building available is the saloon which drops you into residents list with the standard dueling rules. The NPCs would be of a variety of levels; levels 10-15, 15-20 etc. There would 5 level bands - 5 lowest levels, 4 next band, 3 mid band, 2 second in command and 1 boss, giving 15 residents of varying levels available to duel. As the game progresses, you could add different Bandit Hideouts - the basic one is levels 10-50 available, then you have 20-60, 30-70 etc. There would be a minimum of 1 of each type per map sector; perhaps 5 type 1, 4 type 2 and so on.

The other thing that would be needed is for the NPC to randomly change stance and target every time they are dueled.

DeletedUser1105

Good ideas sammie. NPC towns with bandits in would be good.

With some kind of tactics in the stats i.e. some NPC's have shoved a load of points into mainly defensive skills, or mainly attacking skills etc. Give them all different weapons etc.

Sounds fun.

*Only as long as this would not pave the way for a 'only able to duel NPC's' situation, as that would be wrong.

DeletedUser

Also more quests each time a new type of bandit hideout is made available! Again, given by the sheriff and made available to any player who is at least the same level of the lowest level rank of the hideout. So, Type 2 hideouts (20-60) would be given to players at level 20 or above.

I agree that it should not be used to promote NPC dueling only; but it should take some pressure off the lower ranked players and those who aren't interested in being dueled and make things more interesting for duelers. Having a random item drop associated with the towns would be good as well; perhaps 10-25% luck for type 1 hideouts, 20-30% for Type 2 and so on.

DeletedUser

Awesome idea Talamare.

I greatly approve!

Let's refine this into something great.

DeletedUser

How should the picture of the duel job look like?
I mean shoeing horses has a picture of a horseshoe.

DeletedUser

I'm probably missing something but.....why not just go and duel someone, there's a lot of them about?

DeletedUser3741

I'm probably missing something but.....why not just go and duel someone, there's a lot of them about?

-Gives duelers a NPC target for those that want to duel but are pacifist
-Eases the pressure of duelers on builders
-Allows a "training ground" for duelers to test their skills
-Gives a stable way to gain xp and money for duelers, this is especially important at levels where you need to travel several hours to find any marks your level
-potentially adds some challenge to some duelers

DeletedUser

Nope. Nothing will stop that.

Anyways, Talamare has good points all the way here.

John, Tal's idea is derived from the "obsession" which you never want to revisit, if you know what I mean. I'd elaborate another day. lol :)

DeletedUser5046

is it to be unlocked? i am lazy to read ^^ and a bit buzy so i'll just ask it...

DeletedUser

-Gives duelers a NPC target for those that want to duel but are pacifist
-Eases the pressure of duelers on builders
-Allows a "training ground" for duelers to test their skills
-Gives a stable way to gain xp and money for duelers, this is especially important at levels where you need to travel several hours to find any marks your level
-potentially adds some challenge to some duelers

1.If they are pacifist then they shouldn't really be duelling at all. It's not like you 'really' kill someone on the game is it? this whole pacifist argument is just a lame wangle that people who wish this was a different game use. They should not get the advantages of duelling if they are sniffy about it.

2.I don't think duellers pressure on builders should be eased.

3.the training ground is out there.

4.Stable and therefore unchallenging play should be discouraged.

5.All the challenge you need is out there, well actually it's a leetle dull but this makes it duller.