The Brain Farts - Brainstorm of ideas here

• Thread starter Deleted User - 1278415
  • Start date

mnnielsen

The West Team
Community Manager
Glad to hear there is progress. Good news. The game need not be perfect, just enjoyable to play. You never know grain seeds that fall in the fertile places might grow and blossom though it is true too if they fall in the rocky places will certainly fail.

I agree... Now that the team is settled, both at the top and 'bottom', we can start working more directly towards a common goal, I am full of confidence that we will be able to turn this ship around and rediscover the joy of the game.

Clever Hans

I agree... Now that the team is settled, both at the top and 'bottom', we can start working more directly towards a common goal, I am full of confidence that we will be able to turn this ship around and rediscover the joy of the game.
Are there any news regarding world migrations and moving of national servers over here? I remember ex-CM talked about Swedish/Danish worlds merging with .net in the near future.

szycopath

we dont publish our roadmap anymore, but we are working on bigger changes in the game..... just fixing small stuff all the time is like burning matches to keep warm - it only helps for at short while

If I had a penny for every time we've heard this in the past 10 years, I wouldn't be driving a 26yo bmw now. But an i8
But I only receive a penny for the times these bigger changes actually happen AND don't go horribly wrong...
Hence the above named car

Pankreas PorFavor

yes there is progress ;-) thats what I am informed, and the few grains that is throwed to me in the meetings about it

remember The West Dev blog? https://devblog.the-west.net/
working on big changes is fine, of course. maybe even great. but keeping it a secret?! I can't think of any negative side to letting the players know at least something about what will change. we don't ask about the details or timeline but just some hints about the general direction of these changes would be a great step forward (level cap increase is AFAIK the only info we got). when you're so silent about it, this is what adds to negativity and develops distrust.

mnnielsen

The West Team
Community Manager
remember The West Dev blog? https://devblog.the-west.net/
working on big changes is fine, of course. maybe even great. but keeping it a secret?! I can't think of any negative side to letting the players know at least something about what will change. we don't ask about the details or timeline but just some hints about the general direction of these changes would be a great step forward (level cap increase is AFAIK the only info we got). when you're so silent about it, this is what adds to negativity and develops distrust.

I agree, but unfortunally even though I am part of the CM team, we are not told everything either..... I would love to tell you all what excact the plans are and when different things are going to be implemented, but the fact is that alot of times we only get an approx time line that is rather flexible....
I try not to say specific dates on the things I have a date on before it is about to happen, because in most cases I know after some years in the system that unexpected things can happen, and then will I prefer not to disappoint you players by dragging things out in the long run and constantly moving the date.... I find that very frustrating when I experience that, and I guess Im not the only one.

Pankreas PorFavor

I agree, but unfortunally even though I am part of the CM team, we are not told everything either..... I would love to tell you all what excact the plans are and when different things are going to be implemented, but the fact is that alot of times we only get an approx time line that is rather flexible....
I try not to say specific dates on the things I have a date on before it is about to happen, because in most cases I know after some years in the system that unexpected things can happen, and then will I prefer not to disappoint you players by dragging things out in the long run and constantly moving the date.... I find that very frustrating when I experience that, and I guess Im not the only one.

I understand that you have rules that you must follow and you can only share what you are allowed to share. When it comes to this "secret project" I believe most players are interested more in what is going to change than when it's going to happen. Are we talking about new type of shops in forts, railroad system, additional adventure maps/modes, PvP changes in FFs or duels, another rework of job system...? There are so many different directions and types of changes, I'm sure we would all appreciate a hint or two.

GoodBuddie

I understand that you have rules that you must follow and you can only share what you are allowed to share. When it comes to this "secret project" I believe most players are interested more in what is going to change than when it's going to happen. Are we talking about new type of shops in forts, railroad system, additional adventure maps/modes, PvP changes in FFs or duels, another rework of job system...? There are so many different directions and types of changes, I'm sure we would all appreciate a hint or two.

You are to optimistic i come back to se how game look after 6years and it is all the same except lower number of players per server & new set items.

DeletedUser15368

You are to optimistic i come back to se how game look after 6years and it is all the same except lower number of players per server & new set items.
And that's fine imo, the game is considered feature complete, it's just that the existing PvP features have been destroyed by tombolas and new worlds every year.

GoodBuddie

It is not fine in my book come one man not 1 new building in town for exampe armory ,back in days there was brainstorming of ideas for game when i come back i was expecting to see at least some new stuff (railroad system ,different fort battle grounds layouts like bettle on open ect.) lot of good ideas was never implemented in game due to lack of stuff i guess.

Pankreas PorFavor

I am not optimistic at all. if they had something to talk about - they would. it can only generate interest and activity, increase the satisfaction of players and create a positive atmosphere. but they're silent because there's nothing behind it. level cap increase, support for multiple languages, reworking old items to be level based. is that it? there is absolutely no sane reason why they would not share some info about anything big if they really had something up their sleeve. maybe they're just waiting for more players to leave so they don't have to be embarrassed in front of too many people. :hmf:

asdf124

It is not fine in my book come one man not 1 new building in town for exampe armory ,back in days there was brainstorming of ideas for game when i come back i was expecting to see at least some new stuff (railroad system ,different fort battle grounds layouts like bettle on open ect.) lot of good ideas was never implemented in game due to lack of stuff i guess.
The reason why they aren't implementing much development is, its probably because they are done with milking the game. They have bigger cash cows to milk then this. So it wouldn't make sense to focus on an old game that has been dying. It is cheaper to save a newer game then to save a very older game.

Their was so much they can do about adventures(some planned that was then thrown under the desk)(New game modes, group adventure where you invite your friends to play with etc.)

So much potential, just thrown out of the window cause they have most of their development working on 2-3 things only.
New sets, new quests, and now upgrading old gear. Their isn't much an understaffed development team can do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Poker Alice

The reason why they aren't implementing much development is, its probably because they are done with milking the game. They have bigger cash cows to milk then this. So it wouldn't make sense to focus on an old game that has been dying. It is cheaper to save a newer game then to save a very older game.

Their was so much they can do about adventures(some planned that was then thrown under the desk)(New game modes, group adventure where you invite your friends to play with etc.)

So much potential, just thrown out of the window cause they have most of their development working on 2-3 things only.
New sets, new quests, and now upgrading old gear. Their isn't much an understaffed development team can do.

@Poker Alice If inno didn't run down this game, they wouldn't have to be negative about it.

Okay children, be on your best behavior now. Let it all out, inhale all that rage and exhale it out.
Rage: Lots of that around.

" Not that management gives a damn but need to get this rage out somehow" - @RaiderTr wrote that

Negative: yes lots of that around too.

What good does it do to constantly run down INNO? What does it achieve?
@asdf124 you actually answered this question when you wrote, "inhale all that rage and exhale it"

:hmf:
It does nothing for this game, nothing for anyone but dump toxic whining constantly and I expect it will continue, they don't care, same old story over and over...

asdf124

Rage: Lots of that around.

" Not that management gives a damn but need to get this rage out somehow" - @RaiderTr wrote that

Negative: yes lots of that around too.

What good does it do to constantly run down INNO? What does it achieve?
@asdf124 you actually answered this question when you wrote, "inhale all that rage and exhale it"

:hmf:
It does nothing for this game, nothing for anyone but dump toxic whining constantly and I expect it will continue, they don't care, same old story over and over...
Lots of times when I read criticism made by @RaiderTr and @Pankreas PorFavor was constructive criticism out of what was wrong being done.

And guess what, it seems like they continue to do specifically what is wrong in today's game. Make new worlds(which imo is probably a button, an easy way to do new worlds) then expect it to die. And repeat it and hope what you have is enough, if not make new sets/quests. Repeat.

Afterwards, @Poker Alice you claim it is pure hate. And then we show you proof; " No we are actually telling you these are the mistakes of innogames." Making the company/management accountable for their bad management. And you keep saying no, its you who is being negative. Repeat.

DeletedUser15368

group adventure where you invite your friends to play with
This feature has actually existed on Beta for years...

Pretty much, we won't/can't/shouldn't ever expect to see brand new features developed for this really old game (and that's fine, a quick google indicates that RuneScape Classic has a much larger player base than their EOC version), but there's still plenty of room for new content within existing features that don't break those features that we have loved for over a decade.

And please be nice to Solitaire Alice, The West is for everyone and anyone; duellers, fort fighters, berry pickers who have never played the game when it was good and think this version of the formerly award winning browser game where a world is opened right before the scummiest lootbox event of the year and is expected to run only until the next DotD is due to start and then all of the time and effort and money that you've spent is wasted because you'll never be allowed to migrate because that would actually make old worlds viable and if old worlds are viable then they can't milk you like a gold digger ploughing their way through their footballer husband's bank account all while the PVP literally doesn't function because they've put 7000 skill points into a formula for 700 skill points is fun.
wake up, smell the roses and be thankful for new quests and a set that lets me built the church more.

Poker Alice

@lulumcnoob

You mentioned "new content within existing features that don't break those features"
Can you give one example of new content which would make the really old game enjoyable again for you and for others?

Could you please expand on "7000 skill points into a formula for 700 skill points" because I didn't understand that reference.

DeletedUser15368

Can you give one example of new content which would make the really old game enjoyable again for you and for others?
For the game to be really enjoyable again we need fixes for some current features, lots of players, including me, have written about those A LOT over the years so I'll skip that part.
but here's a non-exhaustive list I threw together in a few mins of new content that fits within existing features that would improve the user experience, though admittedly a lot of them are existing or former script features which may not be available on mobile;

Classes
re-working class bonuses for 2021

Chat
coloured text customisation options
ranking fort battles from chat
crafting class indicator next to player level/name

Inventory
expanded window showing far more of your inventory on the screen at once
better categorisation for buffs, usable items
better clothing calculator
sell multiple items
improved item popups including information about sets and when the set was released
a section in the inventory dedicated to sets, allowing the player to more easily track and collect missing pieces
a popup telling you that you can use a repeating, timed item, such as event currency bags
Downgrade upgraded items at a cost of one of the three clothing pieces per level

Forts
Battle topic showing in the pre-battle fort window
better ranking interface/ranking from the chat
live battle statistics
a "walk to fort" button in the fort overview

Quest
A coloured indicator in the NPC dialogue when a questline rewards Skill points and is therefore worth completing
Sleep 0/1 removed from existence
timed quests with less than a 12 hour range removed from existence
at least find a way to make very basic repeatable quests not break on an annual basis

Tombolas
a better way to send event currency than the bloody friends bar
all items are NOT upgradable until they are sellable on the world market

Duels
minimap showing the locations of duellable players/bounties so you can more easily plan your route
lower duel level cap

Map/general interface
NPC finder
Hotkeys for actions such as sleeping, banking, walk to the next fort battle
re-sizable game windows
a logout button on the sidebar
travel popup prompt to equip speed gear

Market
tracking item prices so you never get ripped off
direct player to player trading
collect all items prompt upon arrival at town
an indicator of whether an item is on the town/alliance/world market
better market map
the ability to "box" a clothing set to buy and sell as one package instead of in 6-10 pieces

Crafting
in-game overview of all 4 crafting classes, because sometimes we need to look up materials for another craft

Rankings
Character class indicator in fort rankings
Alliance rankings

Towns
Fort ownership information in a town profile
Splitting the town log into two Construction and Residents logs

If I had to pick just one existing feature to be expanded and used to improve the game, it can be distilled to one word: Migrations.

All more worthwhile development pursuits than spaffing everything on another 50 levels while simultaneously making the PvP issues worse.

Could you please expand on "7000 skill points into a formula for 700 skill points" because I didn't understand that reference.
the formulae that the games' PvP features use were written in a time when you could have about 700 skill points, and now sets give a lot more than (7000 is a slight embellishment) that and it doesn't really work now as intended as a result.

Last edited by a moderator: