An open letter regarding the Classic server

DeletedUser38726

I totally agree with Futu. (101% ;))

Once I joined the one-month classic The-West, I remembered how awesome this game used to be. I had forgotten after so many tombolas and OP sets that this game was once PURE FUN. PURE!

The feelings and memories you get when seeing the:
- big map (4 x 10)
- newly founded towns with no buildings
- old duel animation
- old avatars
- separated jobs (you have to go to a diffrent location in the map each time you want to do a job)

...after so many years are undescribable.

You had to plan everything. Have a strategy. Now...... its just press the button to equip the super set.

we dont need or want fancy game graphics ..its about game-play and basic can and sometimes is better.

+1

DeletedUser38746

I fully agree with what people said here. Classic the west should become a permanet game that runs parallel with the new one. Just like they did with Tribal wars (classic) and Tribal wars 2. I have tried numerous times to play the west 2.0 but i just could't , it's not the same game anymore. It's just the husk of the great game it used to be

I remember how excited i was then i saw the classic version, then suddenly i got disappointed when i saw it was only for a month. I told a friend of mine about this (who also loved the game) and he said this "What's the point playing this if it will be deleted in a month? " . That's good argument and I am 100% that he is not the only one in this position.

I really hope that they will make the right decision. And don't forget this, people who are writing about this are just the small vocal minority. There are also the silent majority that are hoping for this in silence.

HelenBack

I totally agree with everything already said...

Unfortunately, I was just too busy to really delve into the Classic world... There was also an event going on at the same time (sending fireworks to everyone).... Plus RL was keeping me away from game time. :p

I really, really hope that they make the decision to keep the Classic world going. There are 6618 people signed up for Classic... A lot are level 1... probably just there to check it out, but not willing to put in any effort since it's gone within 4 weeks (or, now tonight). Classic has more people than most regular worlds. Most .net worlds have less than 2500. Galveston on .net has 7425 (including all the level 1s).

I chatted with an old player that had popped on to Galveston to see how the game was progressing... I told him about Classic and he seemed very interested in rejoining, but there was only a few days left for it. He did sign up anyways, but I haven't had chance to catch him since I first saw him to see what he thought.

I think if Inno decides not to continue with a Classic version, they will be missing out on a lot more players and potential revenue. Since some Classic players may also wind up playing the regular version as well. Old players who left may return as well.

I hope the Classic continues on as a current world and not just in one-month sessions. One month really isn't enough time to get yourself set up to really play the game. Especially with an Event going on in the other worlds... :p

Please reconsider, Inno...

DeletedUser

Well, I was out dueling when the world died, doing what I love. Had a blast with everyone. Tons of good memories came flooding back. I was a Tribal Wars player that jumped to the first versions of the West and fell in love with them. The interface is clean, the plot simple yet complex... and none of the stupid animations or add-ins to "keep you interested". No, what kept you interested were the bonds you formed with your fellow players and the thrill of figuring out the game mechanics. I was never the best but had the pleasure of working alongside them and there is not one browser game I'd consider picking back up... well, so I thought, until Classic West! And guess what- it's still a blast. It's bitter sweet to have done this world. Thanks to everyone that made it happen :)
See you guys in another 10 years, I suppose.

DeletedUser38726

Well, I was out dueling when the world died, doing what I love. Had a blast with everyone. Tons of good memories came flooding back. I was a Tribal Wars player that jumped to the first versions of the West and fell in love with them. The interface is clean, the plot simple yet complex... and none of the stupid animations or add-ins to "keep you interested". No, what kept you interested were the bonds you formed with your fellow players and the thrill of figuring out the game mechanics. I was never the best but had the pleasure of working alongside them and there is not one browser game I'd consider picking back up... well, so I thought, until Classic West! And guess what- it's still a blast. It's bitter sweet to have done this world. Thanks to everyone that made it happen :)
See you guys in another 10 years, I suppose.

+1000 to this post!
I have been searching for a new browser game after The-West "died". Found none (most look the same). I was more than excited when I saw the announcement about the classic server. I remembered how it was to play a way more just than GOOD browser game.

DeletedUser11791

So true Futu, it is not just feelings of nostalgia or an "old man's" refusal to accept change but a heartfealt cry for justice that I share. Give us back our game, the one we loved to play and enjoyed so much and find a different way to make that game profitable for you as game developers. I am still hoping that Inno will see it your way and restore the game (without ignoring some great changes that we all like) to the basic concept. Not sure I would still come back full time, after all my life has changed a lot in the past 8 years but I would certainly sign up again for a server like the Classic.

spankysmagicpiano

I've found myself falling out of love of The West of late mainly due to quests which are impossible to finish as certain crafted products aren't available on the world probably due to the small number of players left.

I agree with you Futurama1001 - maybe arrange for Classic to remain but with X number of nuggets per month to play? Inno are here to make money and I am sure that people would pay happily.

DeletedUser15368

Classic was the best thing Inno has ever done for their players, but at the same time, ripping it away from us just as we were getting started was the cruellest thing they've ever done to us. I loved every minute of Classic, thank you to everyone who played with me, and especially to those who put up with my duelling them <3

We would only really need one server and world for Classic, since the map is so huge and the number of players is so relatively small compared to 2008-2009, which may reduce the overheads compared to tombola simulator which has many worlds per server, not sure though.

It would absolutely need to be monetised before it was opened permanently, but I believe it would be worth the effort and resources because players are actually interested in the game again. Just read this thread, or the similar ones on every other market, .de for example, it's universally loved by all, and i feel like more people would join if it was for more than a month. If it was actually advertised as well, a lot of the old players might come back to give it a try again... I predict Classic having the potential for a stronger player base than Tombola Simulator to be honest, à la the Runescape effect.

I've never had much love for Tombola Simulator, I've even quit the game about half a dozen times since 2011, but for some reason I always come back. This, however, might just be the final straw. Classic west is out there, somewhere, the game that we all loved and got to love again, Its simplicity of game mechanics, yet complexity of mastering them. Its fantastic quests which are so rewarding and well written. Its feeling of teamwork and accomplishment to just build a town.

My town was at war with another since the first week of the server, and that feeling when there were 40+ players in that town and every single one of them was on 48 hours, I can't put it into words.

I'll just be sitting here patiently, waiting for the next Classic server. Praise Diggo.

DeletedUser38726

It would absolutely need to be monetised before it was opened permanently, but I believe it would be worth the effort and resources because players are actually interested in the game again. Just read this thread, or the similar ones on every other market, .de for example, it's universally loved by all, and i feel like more people would join if it was for more than a month. If it was actually advertised as well, a lot of the old players might come back to give it a try again... I predict Classic having the potential for a stronger player base than Tombola Simulator to be honest, à la the Runescape effect.

I recently met an old The-West player on Steam. He asked me whether The-West is still a thing...
I told him that the classic version of the game is out again and he got impressed. He wanted so much to try it (too bad that I met him yesterday :D).

I'll just be sitting here patiently, waiting for the next Classic server. Praise Diggo.

There is nothing else we can do. We tried.

HelenBack

I was sad to try and pop on to Classic world for the last day (while at work) only to see it was already closed. :(

I really hope that Inno looks at all of the feedback about Classic and decides to open a permanent Classic world.

Praise Diggo! :)

*RUMGLOMPS DIGGO!!!!* :D
(A rum infused flying tackle huggle.) ;)

DeletedUser

It would absolutely need to be monetised before it was opened permanently, but I believe it would be worth the effort and resources because players are actually interested in the game again.

Would that be strictly having a premium option/store in the game or actually making the Classic server pay-to-play. Quite frankly, I would pay to play it.

DeletedUser15368

Would that be strictly having a premium option/store in the game or actually making the Classic server pay-to-play. Quite frankly, I would pay to play it.
I'd assume it'll be free to play, with the option to buy premium, though I wouldn't be opposed to a subscription either.

HelenBack

Clicks Login...

The login on this world is not available right now.

Clicks Login again... How about now...? Clicks again... Now...? Clicks again... Now...? Hmmm... Waits another minute... Clicks again... Now..?

:(