Level Based Beginner Set

jarograv

Proposal
Introduce a low level questline (or implement the rewards of this proposal into an existing beginner questline) that gives players the option to choose between one of four beginner sets.

Current Workaround
I feel that the current state of the game makes it difficult for new players to be able to compete in fort battles and duels due to the gear differences between players who have been playing a world for long enough to accumulate wealth. Set items like Deadwood or Cullen Baker make it nearly impossible for players to compete on the same level, unless they have some sugar moma/papa to outfit them in all the fancy gear.

Details
Introduce two to four new level based sets that give about 60-75% of the stats as the current fancy sets:
1- A fortbattle set similar to Deadwood 's (ex. 20 resistance instead of 35, 1 stamina per level instead of 1.34, etc.)
2- A fortbattle set similar to Black Bart's
3- A dueling set similar to Cullen Baker's
4- A dueling set similar to Bill Doolin's

The new sets should not provide players with a set that makes getting DW, Bart, Cullen, or Doolin pointless, however it should provide the player with a set that would allow them to compete in the older worlds with other players who are sporting some fancy smancy gear.

Abuse Prevention
Maybe make it so that the items can't be used past level 75 if that is possible... if not, then I doubt many people will really keep using them past level 75 anyway since 60-75% as good as one of the main sets is still kinda crummy. Maybe make the items disappear after 100 days?

Visual Aids
Idk... make it full pink leotard for all I care.

Summary
I feel that this will be a good addition to the game as it will give players a chance to be able to be some what competitive on older worlds from W1 to Dakota where gear is not even close to affordable for new players. New players can be both people who are veterans to the game and want to play on another world or may be new players to the game in general.

Administration
Does this idea meet the Ideas Guidelines & Criteria? Yes/No
Does this idea appear on any of the Previously Suggested Ideas List? Yes/No

DeletedUser33353

I like it. Would hopefully retain a few of the new players.

DeletedUser

Yeah good idea working out clothing is the hardest part of the game - making low level sets is a great idea

DeletedUser37191

Good idea. The only thing I'd change is the level condition. For low levels, stats based on level are very bad.
Also, having fixed stats is an easy way to make these sets good for beginners, but bad for higher levels.

So an alternative would be, to take the suggested item 1 as an example, to make a set that gives exactly what the DD set gives for a level 50 (or 70? or something else), maybe also with the 20 resistance, instead of DD's 35.

DeletedUser33342

I like the idea though I stay with some questions:
You're saying that these guys can't compete with high level players ($ and skills) because of their gear. I agree, but gear ain't the only reason. the difference between lvl 75 and 150 is that the lower level has only half the skill points (set AND level-up) of the high level players.
Guys with few money will, in my eyes, always be able to get shawl, hat boots and belt, and so, with the reduced set you're proposing, they'll have still more abilities with the 4-part incomplete set than the reduced one. Why not give this set HIGHER points than the normal ones and let it being used till a certain level? Also make it not auctionable. Than they will be able to compete, otherwise, you just make them weaker in my eyes.

DeletedUser36559

Nice idea, would even the playing field a bit better for the new players and atleast they would be able to hit more than 5 damage on an advent with 175+ resist :laugh:

jarograv

Good idea. The only thing I'd change is the level condition. For low levels, stats based on level are very bad.
Also, having fixed stats is an easy way to make these sets good for beginners, but bad for higher levels.

So an alternative would be, to take the suggested item 1 as an example, to make a set that gives exactly what the DD set gives for a level 50 (or 70? or something else), maybe also with the 20 resistance, instead of DD's 35.

Maybe a flat amount plus a fixed amount would solve a few issues. Say you got 20 flat hiding and 0.94 hiding per level giving you 29 hiding at level 10, thats better than DW that would give only 13 hiding at level 10. At level 50 both sets would be equal and any level after 50, DW would be superior. The main issue I see with this is that everybody who is level 1-49 would have the exact same gear... not sure if thats a pro or con since right now all the level 100s+ all run around in the exact same gear anyway :p

Ultimately, I just think we need some way for new players to be able to participate in old worlds without having to join a town and beg for gear just so that they are able to be a little bit useful in battles.

I like the idea though I stay with some questions:
You're saying that these guys can't compete with high level players ($ and skills) because of their gear. I agree, but gear ain't the only reason. the difference between lvl 75 and 150 is that the lower level has only half the skill points (set AND level-up) of the high level players.
Guys with few money will, in my eyes, always be able to get shawl, hat boots and belt, and so, with the reduced set you're proposing, they'll have still more abilities with the 4-part incomplete set than the reduced one. Why not give this set HIGHER points than the normal ones and let it being used till a certain level? Also make it not auctionable. Than they will be able to compete, otherwise, you just make them weaker in my eyes.

Agreed, gear is definitely only half the battle. One part of this proposal deals with duelling and the other half deals with fortbattles. As someone who was a scumbag 0=mot dueler with full doolin gear by level 10, I can tell you that it is impossible to beat someone in full doolin when you are also level 10-20 and specced for duelling. Only reason I managed to get that gear was because I was fortunate enough for people to loan me some items. Anybody on the other end of my gun who didn't have a suga-moma/papa suffered... and that kinda sucks for them. As far as the fortbattle side of the proposal, The extra bit of hp and skills really goes a long way for those low levels being able to participate in battles. Of course they won't manage to deal 10k damage and dodge 40 bullets, but at least they will hit more than 2 out of 55 shots and dodge once or twice. Hopefully it would make them useful as the 90th person ranked in a battle :)

DeletedUser33342

You know I'm just being sceptical because I like the idea and it needs to be perfect :)
Mayby you can make a comparison with numbers to show us how any of these sets will compare to the "real" set?

jarograv

Well depending on whether we go with flat+variable or just a purely level based set it would be different. Not gonna bother showing specific details on the numbers since that would take quite a bit of time and is something that would be completely up to the devs to decide with the balance of it if this idea were to pass.