Dueling Pros & Cons

AnnyOklee

I have read very many posts about duelers who lay in wait and prey on non-duelers or players who are not equipped to duel. Thus making the game very difficult to play and most times prevents that dueled player from continuing to play and enjoy the game.

I too have been a victim many times by this type of dueling actions. For me as well, it does take the fun out of the game. I spend most the time KOing myself and recovering while sleeping in my town. I know there are other measures a non-dueler can take to prevent them from being dueled, but I ask.......why should the non-dueler player have to change their game strategy to accommodate another player's game strategy? I do feel this is quite an imbalance in game play. I feel like I am prey to those who may play the game better than I or can afford to be equipped with dueling gear. I just want to have fun, as many of us do, and do not want to take the fun away from duelers as well.

I suggest that duelers only be able to duel other duelers. That way they both have the same basic game strategy. Or another suggestion is to require a dueler to post a "duel challenge" to the other player a day in advance. This allowing the challenged player to at least have some time to prepare and not feel like they have been shot in the back by someone laying in wait for them. I feel this would level the playing field for all players, duelers and non-duelers.

I will confess, dueling has gotten so rampant in the El Dorado world that I cannot even complete special events that come along, as duelers wait by the quest giver to duel those who come to complete it. Now that is totally not fair........and totally takes the fun out of the game for this blatant game behavior.

DeletedUser30224

It was always like this and that is the reason we still have some duellers left in the game. As you stated, there are ways to protect yourself against duels. I find it a bit preposterous to limit duellers and therefore lose a good minority of the population. We already proposed a limitation in duel lvl, which is the limit to which I am prepared to go at this moment and I believe I'm not the only one.

There was a time when I was considering the possibility of an "On/Off" duel switch, but then realized that a bit of harassment is necessary for player evolution. The fact is that you do not lose progress or in fact anything beside energy, health and onhand cash when you are KO'd, and for each KO your disappointment is negated by the success of your attacker. I therefore believe that if the game is ever to redress in the right direction, such limiting actions are the last thing we need.

It is inconvenient, but by being a target for duellers, you are allowing duellers to exist. We do not want a West without duellers and bandits...one day you might want to try duelling and for that you need targets. It is quite easy to protect yourself against duellers, and those that do not care or are unwilling to put the effort to stay protected I say well done, your misery is someone's happiness. It's maybe not to your liking but never the less true. predators have to eat or they'll starve to death.

Possible solution to your problem: convince everyone that is not a dueller in El Dorado to go town-less :) (or maybe not, that would drop the activity of the world for sure)

AnnyOklee

Thank you for your reply and input. I am always open to hear another side of an issue.
I am just learning that this game began as a duelers game and has evolved into areas of the west theme (i.e. builders, workers, adventurers).

But as you said, duelers prey on weaker players/targets. After starting the game and gaining a little bit of level and experience, it can be very daunting and discouraging to be dueled constantly. This could discourage future players who would feel like the game is too difficult for them. Just something to think about.

I don't know why duelers couldn't duel each other. There are enough duelers to provide each other with targets. Case in point, forts keep having battles after battles....they change hands all the time. Would duelers get bored dueling each other? It sure would make the game nicer for us non-duelers and still give duelers the satisfaction of dueling others.

DeletedUser

Anny, there are many problems with duelling right now that do need to be addressed:

1) You made a point of duellers only being able to duel other duellers... that would be impossible to implement as it is too difficult to determine who a dueller actually is. I know many fort fighters who duel as well or people with other builds who duel for the the daily activity bond.

2) Why don't duellers only duel each other? Simply put, we do, but we don't earn any money from duelling each other... we earn money from questers, jobbers, fort fighters etc. The second problem with duelling each other is the total randomness of duels where it is unpredictable who will win. You can duel the same person twice without changing any settings / stance / clothing etc. and win the first duel by 1300 hp and lose the second by the same amount!

As you know, there are many ways to prevent being duelled, but it is an integral game that in fact needs to be better developed rather than removed or too restricted.

DeletedUser34315

The biggest reason not to duel other duelers is target restriction. I was a pure dueler for ~8 months, and now have 7 players in the entire world that I can duel. A maximum duel level would fix this problem by allowing us to have a range of targets without being 0 mots and hunting weak players.

DeletedUser33353

The biggest reason not to duel other duelers is target restriction. I was a pure dueler for ~8 months, and now have 7 players in the entire world that I can duel. A maximum duel level would fix this problem by allowing us to have a range of targets without being 0 mots and hunting weak players.

I agree with you GG. And I am jealous, you have more targets than me available in that world. :laugh:
And as far as a duel range fix goes.....the easiest solution would be to have a duel level reducer potion in the Inno shop. Inno makes $, duelers have more targets, etc. Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

DeletedUser36559

Best way to fix it is to go town less and if you need any items just ask to join a town temporarily, buy your items then go town less again.

DeletedUser30224

Like Kidd and Gandalf, I am in the same boat. So there is no option but to duel duellers (players with very high duel lvl). If you think about it, the duel level prevented players to duel non-duellers. We all know that it makes things worse than better at any given point, but the original idea must have been that. Unfortunately, you can duel a year and then get bored of it and focus for another year on fort fighting only, yet your duel lvl will still indicate that you are a dueller to be feared. There are always those to probe you and when they find out you cant even defend yourself from a dying man, they'll farm you to smithereens. And that is why so many people are 0 motivation duellers of course. They like to win, they like to KO people, they are not necessarily bad, but it makes sense for them to ignore experience and just focus on wreaking havoc. Then again, when you get one of these players to duel you day in and day night, they no longer are interested in having fun but making your life miserable, and for those I have a middle finger ready to display.

DeletedUser22685

This isn't a fully constructed idea, but an interesting and possibly productive discussion has come from it, so I've moved the thread to the Saloon.

DeletedUser33353

Discussions actually provide some good ideas at times. Good call futu on the moving of discussion. Another idea I was kicking around was just having a max duel level.....but, I think that is off topic for the the original purpose of this thread.

DeletedUser

We've also discussed in the past an even simpler fix:

Remove DL altogether, and only allow dueling within a certain level range from your current, for example +10 to -10 of your current real level.

Did we ever bottom out the flaws in that simplified system?

DeletedUser30224

Discussions actually provide some good ideas at times. Good call futu on the moving of discussion. Another idea I was kicking around was just having a max duel level.....but, I think that is off topic for the the original purpose of this thread.

Having a max duel lvl has already been proposed and submitted to our developing team. Hopefully they will see the benefit in that and do something about our duelling mess.

We've also discussed in the past an even simpler fix:
Did we ever bottom out the flaws in that simplified system?

In a sense yes we did. I believe that duel lvls have a meaning: splitting duellers from non-duellers, therefore preventing the heinous act of duelling the same non-dueller over and over.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

In a sense yes we did. I believe that duel lvls have a meaning: splitting duellers from non-duellers, therefore preventing the heinous act of duelling the same non-dueller over and over.

I think times have changed. In the past, with ZMD and before daily login bonuses, the only way a 'non-dueller' could escape being farmed was to level up beyond the ZMD's range. But I feel like nowadays that's no longer required.

Now, (assuming we go with +/- 10 of real level as the duelling system) you've got daily login bonuses to push the ZMD up, you've got big XP gains from dueling that push them up, you've got the split away from NPC, etc... An active dueller will quickly gain levels and could perhaps exceed that +/- 10. Especially at low levels where the XP to go from 10 to 20 is a lot less than from 20 to 30, etc. And it's the lower-ish newer-ish players we're trying to protect here ultimately, right?

I feel like nowadays, it would be harder (not impossible, just harder) for an active dueler to 'farm' weaker players than it used to be.

canufeelit

If u don't click the ok button on the daily login bonus screen (i.e. Click into the main screen behind) u don't gain any xp.

canufeelit

I meant from the point of view of folk like zmd who do not wish to gain xp to stay at the same level.