Praying

• Thread starter DeletedUser15641
  • Start date

DeletedUser

This topic resurfaces every once in a while.

I had a hypothesis, that hasn't been confirmed nor rejected yet: Praying changes your luck.

Let's say you did the job "Ambush" for 50 hours. On average these should drop 9 fancy jewelries. Let's say you notice that you've got way fewer products than expected. Try praying once, then do another batch of the job.

Or you're harvesting chili peppers for days, and the key to Henry's house still hasn't dropped. Pray once, then go back to the pepper field.

Or you notice you barely land a hit during duels, despite wearing dueling clothes and having a good allocation of skills. Try praying once, then go back to dueling.

Or during fort fights, you seem to miss more shots than ever. Visit the church for a praying, then join the next battle.

However, if you notice you're on a roll, don't go praying. If my hypothesis is correct, praying can either increase or decrease your luck, or increase your luck for an activity and decrease it for another.

I noticed something like that, never gave itmuch thought till i read this. While i was searching for valuable drops in GR, if i prayed for no reason while things were going smoothly i wouldn't get item drop for ages.

DeletedUser

I'm also intrigued with this praying thing. It looks like it does nothing, and it's just 15 minutes spent for nothing, but the true is that something actually happens.
For example, I've opened steel lined boxes without praying and the rewards were not so good. After 4 times praying I got better rewards.
I am not a big steel lined box opener though, but for the ones I've opened, I can say that praying definitely helps.

DeletedUser34781

some think praying gets your luck back up to full if it gets low from drops etc

DeletedUser22685

I'm also intrigued with this praying thing. It looks like it does nothing, and it's just 15 minutes spent for nothing, but the true is that something actually happens.
For example, I've opened steel lined boxes without praying and the rewards were not so good. After 4 times praying I got better rewards.
I am not a big steel lined box opener though, but for the ones I've opened, I can say that praying definitely helps.

That's luck, and there is no consistent correlation between praying and improved item drops from chests. No matter how many steel chests you open, you'll never be able to say that praying definitely helps. There are people who have tried this and would indeed say the opposite, that praying definitely doesn't help. There's not enough evidence that praying has an effect on anything for me to consider it anything other than a waste of time, but if you're superstitious and praying has preceded good luck for you in the past, who can blame you for continuing to do it?

some think praying gets your luck back up to full if it gets low from drops etc

I'm not quite sure what you mean by luck "getting low from drops". Receiving an item doesn't lower your item drop chance. I can only assume you're referring to the effect of motivation, but the very notion that there's anything to be "refilled" is flawed. The only decaying factor of item drop chance is motivation, and while it's plausible that praying may improve your drop chance, it would act as a bonus to your base drop chance along with clothing bonuses, gold pickaxes, etc rather than impacting on the motivation section of the formula. Not that you'd be able to tell which part of the formula the bonus was applied to (if any), but my point is that anyone who thinks about luck the way you've described has got the wrong idea.

DeletedUser33797

The only decaying factor of item drop chance is motivation.
http://prntscr.com/2wiqjl
I know i took it out of the context and maybe this is not the best place to post it but my recent reports on doing Lead an trade office makes me believe that Motivation no longer is a factor in item drop.Please correct me if i am wrong.
And i never pray in this game :)

Slygoxx

Motivation is still a factor. You'll never find an item with 0% motivation, you can try it out if you want ;)

DeletedUser34781

I'm not quite sure what you mean by luck "getting low from drops". Receiving an item doesn't lower your item drop chance. I can only assume you're referring to the effect of motivation, but the very notion that there's anything to be "refilled" is flawed. The only decaying factor of item drop chance is motivation, and while it's plausible that praying may improve your drop chance, it would act as a bonus to your base drop chance along with clothing bonuses, gold pickaxes, etc rather than impacting on the motivation section of the formula. Not that you'd be able to tell which part of the formula the bonus was applied to (if any), but my point is that anyone who thinks about luck the way you've described has got the wrong idea.

what i meant was luck bar like others energy and hp..ofc its not viewable to us.. its rises and lowers depending on what has dropped/dueled/what ever else may lower it. have you ever found that logging in and jobbing after a few days of not queing anything and boom you find stuff almost straight away. imo thats the bar at its fullest. praying might have effect to raise this bar again faster than not. as we will not be told its my idea of most feasable scenario.

DeletedUser33797

Motivation is still a factor. You'll never find an item with 0% motivation, you can try it out if you want ;)
The idea was that even at lower motivation you still can have a decent drop.
Not at 0 mot of course :)
And no i don`t want to try it i am perfectly fine with those item drops :)

DeletedUser22685

what i meant was luck bar like others energy and hp..ofc its not viewable to us.. its rises and lowers depending on what has dropped/dueled/what ever else may lower it. have you ever found that logging in and jobbing after a few days of not queing anything and boom you find stuff almost straight away. imo thats the bar at its fullest. praying might have effect to raise this bar again faster than not. as we will not be told its my idea of most feasable scenario.

There's no such thing as a luck bar like that, if you don't believe me it's not my problem, but what I have said is not speculation.

The idea was that even at lower motivation you still can have a decent drop.
Not at 0 mot of course :)
And no i don`t want to try it i am perfectly fine with those item drops :)

We're not talking about the value of drops, that stays the same no matter your motivation as it's determined by the value you see in the luck column on the job screen, which you'll notice doesn't decrease as your motivation does like cash and exp do. We're talking about the likelihood of an item dropping, which is most definitely influenced by motivation. It is still possible to get an item drop with low motivation (as you proved), but it's a hell of a lot harder.

DeletedUser

Well it's not just a matter of the church now giving luck. Clothing such as the sleepyhead gives + praying. There's also the level of the church to consider.

It will always be unknown as to what affects (if any) these have. Just like the stone talismans you find on jobs now and again :)

DeletedUser34315

e8cUUdZ.png

DeletedUser

I'd like to say that all the theories about boxes etc. being tied to praying are utter crap. I don't pray. I opened a Steel-Lined Box and I got a Fancy Pistol Belt worth $19,200.
Like everything in life, people have their 'theories' but that is ALL they are without definitive proof and proof can NOT be gained from low numbers such as 10s or 20s. To prove something DEFINITIVELY, you would need somewhere around 1,000 or more...maybe even 10,000. Open 10,000 boxes without praying, then open 10,000 boxes WITH praying. Know what you'll find? The averages will be roughly the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted User - 1278415

I wonder if when the Divine Providence was created, oh so many moons ago, that it would go as far to include praying in an online game.

This is the thread that will go on and on... just like the town churches go higher and higher.

DeletedUser26820

I believe that there is no answer to that question as it's just like praying in RL?
If you believe that praying is good or healthy or beneficial or spiritual or that it will bring a better "reward", then it's good to pray.

The thing about praying here in the game is that it's impossible to compare truly empirical results...
I didn't pray and opened this specific chest and got X, but if I had prayed and opened that same specific chest at the same exact time, I would have gotten Y.
Is there a chance you would have also gotten X? I'd think there's a chance of that....

I don't know if anyone's conducted a test of opening 100 chests without praying and compared the results of that to the results of opening 100 chests after praying once or twice or thrice before opening each chest, but maybe therein would lie some evidence to support it one way or the other.

So if Futu or Kidd or Gandalf want to throw some my way, I'd be more than happy to conduct an experiment. I'll need 200 of them, fellas :)