The attacks in Norway

DeletedUser

I'm sure you have all heard about the tragic events that took place in Norway. Here's an article for those who want to catch up on the matter: Norway gunman claims he acted alone

The part that caught my attention is the part where the mention that the gunman would only face a maximum of 21 years, if convicted on terrorism charges. 21 years in a state of the art Norway prison for killing 92 people. I'd like to ask you if the death penalty should be restored such occasions?

DeletedUser

I'm saying that in cases like this life imprisonment should be Minimum. The idea that someone like that could walk free in 20 years seems unacceptable.

DeletedUser

I don't think it matters if it's 21 years or the rest of his life. For what he has done, someone like Hannibal Lecter should deal with him.

DeletedUser16628

Absolutely should be doing triple life or more.21 yrs is a ridiculously short time for premeditated mass murder.A introduction to being jailbait for the oversexed and undersexed goes without saying.

DeletedUser

Ok, I will not defend this person, but seriously, your logic is flawed, if you cared so much about peopes lives you would demand life imprisonment on so many other people first, like to get you started: all politicians in all countries that haven't opposed all wars at all times, everyone involved with the petroleum/war/drugs industries, etc. Seriously!

/Edlit

DeletedUser

Anyone who drives?
Anyone who smokes?
Anyone who sells fatty foods?

Whose logic is flawed?

DeletedUser

It's beyond tragic, what has happened. And, I'm a bit scared too, as it could as easily had happened here in Sweden. Where has the world gone to?

The only punishment for doing something like this, is death penalty. There is no other punishment available in my vocabulary. Why should he be doing time for this, as the families of the victims have been struck hard by his actions?
I know that it won't bring them back to life...

DeletedUser

The worst thing is that this wasn't done by some arab shouting "Jihad!". No one expected this to be done by a Norway citizen(how do you call them?). That's the scary thing I think.

DeletedUser

The worst thing is that this wasn't done by some arab shouting "Jihad!". No one expected this to be done by a Norway citizen(how do you call them?). That's the scary thing I think.

In my opinion right-wing Christian fundamentalists are just as bad. People just don't seem to mind them for some reason, which is weird in my opinion.

DeletedUser

The man deserves life imprisonment, but it's not our choice to make the decision to imprison him for the rest of his life. One thing I believed was that you deserve 10 years per person you killed, so he deserves 930 years imprisonment.

The Norwegian police are rounding up high profile gangs in Norway, in search of any clue that he was working with someone.

DeletedUser

People who kill kids don't fare well in prison. I'm thinking put him in with the prison population, then look the other way. He won't last 21 years, let alone one.

DeletedUser

let's not bring up religion or make blanket statements related to such, it's against forum rules.

so......we put the guy in prison and then spend taxes on keep the guy alive for 21 years?

DeletedUser

Give him a life sentence or better yet kill him on the spot, 20 years for killing 90 people is not acceptable.

DeletedUser

let's not bring up religion or make blanket statements related to such, it's against forum rules.
Umm, Rice... you're incorrect about the forum rules re: religion. But, for the sake of avoiding a tangent, leave the "warnings" to the moderators. ;)
so......we put the guy in prison and then spend taxes on keep the guy alive for 21 years?
Well, it costs a helluva lot more to put them to death. Please review these previous discussions on the death penalty for information on this:

http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?t=39745

http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?t=17249

DeletedUser

I stand corrected, but it still costs a lot to deal with inmates, either way.

DeletedUser

Under Norwegian law, he faces a maximum of 21 years in jail if convicted, although that sentence can be extended if a prisoner is deemed a threat to the public. ~BBC News

So calm down - there's more common sense in the world than many people generally suppose.

DeletedUser15057

This discussion is moot.

Our constitution explicitly forbids applying laws retroactively.

Also, life imprisonment is hypothetically possible.

The thing I fear the most about this happening is how it might change my country.

What things do you fear may change JR??

I hope that the Norwegian people remain strong and not succumb to fear to change a way of life that has offered, and still does, a peaceful society.

If fear changes the Norwegian way of life then this extremist has won.:(

Best wishes to you and all your fellow citizens!!

DeletedUser

He has named accomplices, and they have been rounded up, and are in custody, but as to what shall happen to them, nobody knows exactly at the moment..