Fort Battle Builds Guide 2.0!

Was this guide helpful to you?

• Total voters

DeletedUser

Personally, I prefer to cycle thru leadership jobs, which is the fastest way to level up, which gets you more skill points to allocate towards fort fighting :) Dueling alone isn't a steady source of xp (or $), given that it drains motivation with a lot of duels very quickly, while cycling thru jobs allows you to do them all at 100% motivation. Dueling is also very inefficient, you have to diversify where you allocate skill points, which makes it even more of a hit and miss, since they're not nearly as high as they could be if you just put them in one skill.

But assuming you're high-leveled and you can get a lot of xp and $ at every fort battle, then you're fine.

DeletedUser20647

Is there any good reason not to just ignore Stamina/Hiding and just use Aim/Dodge? I know you loose jobs, but I personally duel much more than work. The Aim/Dodge/HP combo benefits both dueling and fort fighting. If you are willing to sacrifice jobs (and at high enough level, there is little reason not to) I cant see any reason to NOT go with this type of build.
Comments or critiques are most welcome
You can and should do that if dueling is what you want. And if you do it right, you should be getting more experience from dueling + jobs, than from just jobs alone. And the lack of stamina/hiding will not result in to (a lot) less experience from battles.

DeletedUser

Ok, thanks Gaga and RF. I wouldnt do it at lower levels, but I have a couple worlds where I am done with all quests and there is little left to do but reskill.

DeletedUser

Can I use the pure tank build (All str & hp), but with an adventurer instead of soldier?.

I might last longer than soldiers with adventurers bonus.

Goober Pyle

The West Team
Fort Balancing Strategist
Can I use the pure tank build (All str & hp), but with an adventurer instead of soldier?.

You can, and you might, but only if you have character-bonus premium and even then you would almost certainly be better off balancing your attributes between strength and mobility -- you won't be as attack-oriented (and really if you are doing a pure fort built, unless you are freelancing, you'll probably end up doing a fair amount of defending), you'll survive a lot longer if you are able to dodge a little better, and be worth more if you can actually hit something every now and then.

That said, as with any tank build, avoid leadership completely and make sure you are always next to a high leadership soldier (remember, the soldier leadership bonus is more valuable the lower your own leadership is)

DeletedUser20647

you'll be able to block sectors a little better and thats it!

If you're going for HP, make sure to use equipment to increase your lower skills, not just your HP.

DeletedUser

Reason to carefully consider before going heavy on one skill

Is there any good reason not to just ignore Stamina/Hiding and just use Aim/Dodge? I know you loose jobs, but I personally duel much more than work. The Aim/Dodge/HP combo benefits both dueling and fort fighting. If you are willing to sacrifice jobs (and at high enough level, there is little reason not to) I cant see any reason to NOT go with this type of build.
Comments or critiques are most welcome

While this would definitely be better for you from a 'dueling' point of view, it would be a weaker Fort Fighting build that spreading the points between all 4 of those skills, simply because of the nature of raising a number to a power that's less than 1, i.e. X^0.4

As an example lets say you have 100 Leadership, and you put 200 into both Aim and Dodging, but nothing at all into Stamina/Hiding then your 'Hit chance' and 'Dodge chance' in a Fort battle would be:
Hit: 25 + 100^0.4 + 200^0.4 + 0^0.4 = 39.635
Dodge: 10+ 100^0.4 + 200^0.4 + 0^0.4 = 24.635
But if you instead spread the points so that you had 100 in Aim/Dodging/Hiding/Stamina then your stats would be:
Hit: 25 + 100^0.4 + 100^0.4 + 100^0.4 = 43.928
Dodge: 10+ 100^0.4 + 100^0.4 + 100^0.4 = 28.928

So you can clearly see that spreading the skills gives you more than 10% higher hit chance, and more than 17% higher dodge chance - not too shabby!

I'm not saying you shouldn't put all the skills in Aim/Dodge, I'm just saying be aware of the amount that it changes your fort build before you do it so that you know what you're giving up for the sake of your admittedly better dueling build.
Have fun :D

DeletedUser

While this would definitely be better for you from a 'dueling' point of view, it would be a weaker Fort Fighting build that spreading the points between all 4 of those skills, simply because of the nature of raising a number to a power that's less than 1, i.e. X^0.4

As an example lets say you have 100 Leadership, and you put 200 into both Aim and Dodging, but nothing at all into Stamina/Hiding then your 'Hit chance' and 'Dodge chance' in a Fort battle would be:
Hit: 25 + 100^0.4 + 200^0.4 + 0^0.4 = 39.635
Dodge: 10+ 100^0.4 + 200^0.4 + 0^0.4 = 24.635
But if you instead spread the points so that you had 100 in Aim/Dodging/Hiding/Stamina then your stats would be:
Hit: 25 + 100^0.4 + 100^0.4 + 100^0.4 = 43.928
Dodge: 10+ 100^0.4 + 100^0.4 + 100^0.4 = 28.928

So you can clearly see that spreading the skills gives you more than 10% higher hit chance, and more than 17% higher dodge chance - not too shabby!

I'm not saying you shouldn't put all the skills in Aim/Dodge, I'm just saying be aware of the amount that it changes your fort build before you do it so that you know what you're giving up for the sake of your admittedly better dueling build.
Have fun :D

I hadn't considered the 0^0.4 aspect. I still don't think I'll split the points evenly between dodge/hiding and aim/stamina, but your point about leaving hiding/stamina at 0 is valid; even investing 20-40 points in each would be beneficial from a Fort fighting standpoint. I'm going to play with it a little and see what if anything I can sacrifice without ruining the dueling build end. Thanks for the input FF

edit: brainfart, I pretty much forgot about APs, 75% in Strength, 25% in Mobility, so there would be no 0 values. Think I'm gonna stick with my original build and see how it goes

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

i'm sure you spend a lot of time to have this Guide
Good job mate!
Keep Going!

DeletedUser

Are there any good money jobs open using the recommended build from the guide? I'm having a hard time making cash at level 20, and this is the build I want to use. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

DeletedUser13719

All Around Build

This should be the main build for everyone who fort fights, as it helps with both dodging and aiming. I personally recommend this build.

Quick leveler Router: (Get XP jobs first, over being good at fort fights right away)

Level 20: (20 AP, 60 SP)

20 Strength
45 Stamina
8 Leadership
7 Hiding

Top 3 XP Jobs:
Harvest Potatoes
Well Drilling
Printing Newspaper *The Western Star*

Level 40: (40 AP, 120 SP)

40 Strength
45 Stamina
68 Leadership
7 Hiding

Top 3 XP Jobs:
Feed The Cattle
Harvest Potatoes
Build Railroad Station

Level 60: (60 AP, 180 SP)

60 Strength
45 Stamina
98 Leadership
35 Hiding
2 Dodging

Top 3 XP Jobs:
Construct Manor House
COnstruct Ranch House
Protecting the Track of Settlers

Level 80: (80 AP, 220 SP) It should be 240 SP

60 Strength
20 Mobility
45 Stamina
98 Leadership
35 Hiding
15 Dodging
27 Aim
20 SP LEFT

Top 3 XP Jobs:
Construct Manor House
Construct Ranch House
Feed the Cattle

Level 100: (100 AP, 280 SP) It should be 300 SP

60 Strength
40 Mobility
45 Stamina
98 Leadership
35 Hiding
15 Dodging
67 Aim
20 Health
20 SP LEFT...again

Top 3 XP Jobs:
Construct Manor House
COnstruct Ranch House

Level 120: (120 AP, 340 SP) Its 320 SP and it should be 360 SP

60 Mobility
60 Strength
45 Stamina
20 Health
15 Dodge
107 Aim
98 Leadership
35 Hiding
40 SP LEFT

Construct Manor House
Construct Ranch House
With 40 SP left you can do even better job

Any teacher here???
it seams that our friend here have a little problem with math
and its not only on this one, there is on almost every build
If you want to be a Big Boy don't make a Kid mistake :donkey:

DeletedUser

Thats OK its a very big thing that he told us the skills & builds
Which helps

DeletedUser

Please clarify the fort fighting values for gear.

It list Sunday Clothing - 13

Per TW-ProAttacker = Aim + Dodge + Leadership x 2 + Stamina x2
Defender = Aim + Dodge + Leadership x 2 + Hiding x2

Sunday Clothing gives +1 Charisma +6 Stamina +6 Reflex + 5 FMS +6 Leadership

Shouldn't Sunday Clothing be:
Attacker: Aim(0) + Dodge(0) + Leadership (7 x 2) + Stamina (6 x 2) = 26
Defender: Aim(0) + Dodge(0) + Leadership (7 x 2) + Hiding (0 x 2) = 14

DeletedUser

Why are you using 3rd party sites for calculations? Stop being lazy and use your brain. Besides, there is no 3rd party site that can combine items like you can.
Use the calculator yourself, the formula was written by me on this forum ages ago here (soldier's leadership isn't included because you never know who'll stand beside you in the fight):
http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?p=526932#post526932

Slygoxx

Why are you using 3rd party sites for calculations? Stop being lazy and use your brain. Besides, there is no 3rd party site that can combine items like you can.
Use the calculator yourself, the formula was written by me on this forum ages ago here (soldier's leadership isn't included because you never know who'll stand beside you in the fight):
http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?p=526932#post526932

The formulae you posted are wrong though. And I happen to know a third party site where you can insert skills and clothing, and a bonus will come out.

Slygoxx

Let's put yer formula to the test then.

Lead 135
Aim 49
Dodge 16
Hiding 96
HP 22

We'll use the non-bonus pic, as seen here.

And these formulae will be used:
Chance to hit=25+aim^X+leadership^X+stamina^X
Chance to dodge=10+dodging^X+leadership^X+hiding^X
Where x=0.4

Hit would then become: 25 + 49^0.4 + 135^0.4 + ??^0.4 (you did not add your stamina skills to the post, but my point will be proven anyway.) = 36.86 + ??
Dodge would become: 10 + 16^0.4 + 135^0.4 + 96^0.4 = 26.35, which is the same as on the image.

When we use the value 96 (hiding) in the first formula to hit, so basically we use hiding instead of stamina, we'll get 36.86 + 96^0.4 = 43.067...

Guess what? It matches. I highly doubt you had exactly the same stamina as hiding though.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Although I said I won't post again - you're right. I don't know why I didn't edit it, I thought I was. But since 4 months passed and since posts are never edited here, but deleted completely... I won't edit it now like I would in the past, caring for others.

The values of stamina are used in chances if you attack, and hiding only if you defend.
But then again, only a page after that post in that thread I said just that:
http://forum.the-west.net/showpost.php?p=528514&postcount=144

DeletedUser

Pure stupidity

I don't get what "^0.4" means, could someone explain for me? :unsure: