BBC's credibility

DeletedUser8950

I saw a post from Giz that said the BBC is a british "indoctrinating" news source.
However, I personally find BBC to be the most neutral of all, especially compared to fox. Anybody elses opinions?

DeletedUser22575

I agree.

I have found BBC to be very neutral in the past.

I listen to the BBC often when I want to hear what I consider to be an unvarnished reporting of world events.

Our US news channels have varying degrees of neutrality when it comes to presenting the news.

As far as Fox news they have no neutrality IMO and don't seem to make any attempt to appear to be.

This is a classical example of their reporting...cover what fits their political agenda and ignore everything else.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/08/1...trates-stark-differences-cable-news-networks/

DeletedUser

When I was on a vacation a while ago and so in the hotel I browsed around news channels until I stumbled upon fox news. And there was this this talk show with Glenn Beck. At first I thought it was a comedy, but the longer I watched the more I understood how one sided that guy was. Right wing propaganda in its purest form.

DeletedUser

Fox is slanted toward the right the same way almost everyone else is towards the left. Msnbc is foxs equivalent on the left. Any were you go your going to get one sided news that have the time isn't really right. Cnn is the most neutral you get here. As to the bbc I don't really know.

DeletedUser

Fox is slanted toward the right the same way almost everyone else is towards the left. Msnbc is foxs equivalent on the left. Any were you go your going to get one sided news that have the time isn't really right. Cnn is the most neutral you get here. As to the bbc I don't really know.

CNN is a bit leftish.

DeletedUser

I know but its the closet thing to neutral we can get here. The only reason FOX has such a large viewing is because its the only major news source that is more conservative. I don't think we get BBC news in the state, or at least I've never seen it.

DeletedUser

I saw a post from Giz that said the BBC is a british "indoctrinating" news source.
However, I personally find BBC to be the most neutral of all, especially compared to fox. Anybody elses opinions?

Here's a shocking surprise: Giz has no clue what he's talking about.
Just about anything looks good compared to fox.

DeletedUser8675

I agree.

I have found BBC to be very neutral in the past.

I listen to the BBC often when I want to hear what I consider to be an unvarnished reporting of world events.

Our US news channels have varying degrees of neutrality when it comes to presenting the news.

As far as Fox news they have no neutrality IMO and don't seem to make any attempt to appear to be.

This is a classical example of their reporting...cover what fits their political agenda and ignore everything else.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/08/1...trates-stark-differences-cable-news-networks/
Neither does CNN. CNN is liberal media and FOX is conservative media. BBC, biased as well. News is and will almost always be that way. However, a lot of local news is decently neutral. At least in my town.
Oh and ONN is pretty neutral ;)

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
Fox News is the most biased thing I have ever seen, they go as far as live preaching, I've seen priests giving economic advice on there, blatant lying (and incorrect info disguised as ignorance), and Glenn Beck preaching Mormon doctoring. Obviously this is the very worst, I don't know what goes on in Africa, but maybe you could put this next to North Korean TV.

Other American news sources seem "different" in the way they do things. I think the difference is that Americans like to be given opinion, rather than just information, hence opinionated news, teaching etc. In the UK news sources work to reduce bias and don't try to air too much opinion. But if all you want is efficient news information you wont spend a lot of time watching the news on TV. I noticed US news to be a little bit sugar coated, the BBC might be the same, but it's nothing major. The Daily Fail Mail is our nearest thing to Fox in the UK but it's still miles off.

What do you think of AlJazeera? I use Google for news, but if I didn't it would probably be my favourite.

Last edited:

DeletedUser8675

AlJazeera? Never heard of it.. will have a look.
Yes, FOX is biased and so is CNN. A better name for them would be opinionated news stations, as they are each part of a certain party/side so they preach what they believe.
Yes, Glenn Beck is mormon but a very interesting and smart guy. He goes a little overboard on his radio show, but that is because it is meant to be comedy and opinionated news. He's also a great writer, I read The Christmas Sweater by him recently. Pretty good!

I too use Google.. and sometimes if there is a story I see on local news, Google News, or something that I find could be interesting from different view points, then I look it up on FOX News and CNN.
However I do watch shows i.e The O'Reilly factor on FOX. Kinda interesting.

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
AlJazeera? Never heard of it.. will have a look.
Yes, FOX is biased and so is CNN. A better name for them would be opinionated news stations, as they are each part of a certain party/side so they preach what they believe.
Yes, Glenn Beck is mormon but a very interesting and smart guy. He goes a little overboard on his radio show, but that is because it is meant to be comedy and opinionated news. He's also a great writer, I read The Christmas Sweater by him recently. Pretty good!

Glenn Beck is not a writer, those books are written by a writing team, he simply puts his name on it. I don't watch a lot of American news, but I have never heard Glenn Beck say anything smart (by smart I mean more than simply correct), I have however heard some ridiculous things that I wouldn't expect a smart person ever to say. It's not just Glenn Beck, I think the other hosts are terrible too, crazy, but in a calmer way. I'm just telling you my opinion from what I've seen of it.

Anyway, I don't want to turn this into "criticise Glenn Beck" :p

But I'll add some evidence too...
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA-cpzGWVwE
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGQ13cl9t6g&feature=player_embedded

I'd like to see bias/insanity on the BBC if anyone has any.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

I found that i can barely watch any news, to see what people do too other people makes me sick.

A few nights ago I watched the news (God knows why) and there was a story on a burglar who broke into someone's house simply to steal some things, but he thensaw a two yerar old boy sleeping, he says he doesn't know what came over him, but he put stealing aside, and took the boy out of the window into the woods, after he....I wish not to say, he threw the child onto the ground numerous times, until the boy died.

I truly felt like killing someone at the time I heard that.

But on-topic, Any news channel seems to be biased, they make the hero who they want to make the hero.

An example:
A father is in jail for threatening the lives of kids on a school bus.
After he heard of his daughter being repeatedly bullied by a boy on the bus, the father promply got on the bus, and told every kid on it that if they ever touched his daughter again he'd kick their ass.

Now, what further infurriates me about this, is one, if my Dad was being bullied at school, my Grandfather would go to their house and threaten to "beat the hell out of them." There was no harm done, the point was made.
The second thing, again pissing me off to no measure, the reporters said that "If she was having problems with bullies, she should have told the school staff rather than take care of it theirselves."

What? And let them do nothing! Like the little girl in middle school who commited suicide after telling the school about her bullies and they didn't do anything about it!?

Sorry for my rant, but to watch the news simply pisses me off regardless of what channel it is.

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
A few nights ago I watched the news (God knows why) and there was a story on a burglar who broke into someone's house simply to steal some things, but he thensaw a two yerar old boy sleeping, he says he doesn't know what came over him, but he put stealing aside, and took the boy out of the window into the woods, after he....I wish not to say, he threw the child onto the ground numerous times, until the boy died.

I truly felt like killing someone at the time I heard that.

You wanted to kill someone because you were mad that somebody killed someone else? :blink:

I also like how the second "on-topic" part of your post is as off-topic as the rest of it.

DeletedUser

What? And let them do nothing! Like the little girl in middle school who commited suicide after telling the school about her bullies and they didn't do anything about it!?

you talking about the Phoebe Prince suicide?

DeletedUser

You wanted to kill someone because you were mad that somebody killed someone else? :blink:

I figured that would make sense, true justice dictates that equal punishment for what they did, although we can't do all the horrible things he did to him, for him to die is just.
I also like how the second "on-topic" part of your post is as off-topic as the rest of it.

And my statement of how bias all news can be, was on topic.

you talking about the Phoebe Prince suicide?

Yes.