Should religion be illegal?

• Thread starter DeletedUser8950
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

So you still havent succesfully banned religion.
And the ones who remain often are more fanatical

You are probably right, because banning religion wasn't the only reason. Christianity reached Estonia in about 1200, at the time when most of western Europe had been Christians for hundreds of years. Before Christianity came, most of the locals were pagans, they had their own religion which involved fairies and stuff like that. Christianity was brought with blood and iron, making it obvious why so many resisted it. If Christianity would have reached us in a more peaceful way, then things would be quite different now.

DeletedUser

If so-called christians would act in a manner that the scriptures say a christian ought to act, then we wouldn't even need to talk about how horrible religion can be.

DeletedUser8950

If so-called christians would act in a manner that the scriptures say a christian ought to act, then we wouldn't even need to talk about how horrible religion can be.
Subjective, JW's have also done bad things.
Christianity isn't the only religion with a checkered past, anyway.

DeletedUser

Indeed.

We'd see it first-hand.

DeletedUser

Why are you guys discussing this there will never be an outcome where everyone agrees on one thing and its never going to happen. In the U.S. banning religion is against the constitution

DeletedUser

Subjective, JW's have also done bad things.
Christianity isn't the only religion with a checkered past, anyway.

Wait, what did we ever do?

This is on-topic since its answer may contribute to why religion should be illegal. (However it won't)

DeletedUser

Rofl is this question serious?

Isn't freedom what we are trying to work towards? Banning religion, whatever good it may do, has a whole bounty of negative outcomes that will tear up the minds of many who follow it. Look at Arab culture, Hindu culture, Euro culture, African culture, Chinese culture, damn, look at every culture. Religion has had some sort of stable formation value in regulation and reformation... Oh and comrades, Soviet Russia had it's own dirty little secret, the Russian Orthodox Church was still a major religion followed even in the 20th century. They may have tried to suppress religion, but they failed. The only way to sucessfully suppress religion is to have a one-world government/country with enough power to enforce the law... And I don't see anyone willing to shape into the Systems Alliance to do so, and even then there will be hold outs, and there's also the negatives in even making an attempt to ban religion. Do you know how many people are so clutched onto their religion that they will kill to defend it? More than 2 Billion, and that's out of 6 billion people on this world... Guess what, most of those 2 billion people willing to protect their rights to religion have guns... That's three bullets is all they need if each of them are a good shot.

Scratch rights for some, some are just batcrap crazy!

Making religion illegal would be a serious flaw and any government that would take the time to enforce it would find that there are bountiful flaws in the idea... Hate to play into effect "Goodwin's Law" here, but, 20th century 3rd Reich leader Hitler tried to suppress a religion and culture, along with several other cultures, and as we know that was a disaster.

If we want to get anywhere, we should make all religions Legal everywhere. That would be a hell of a lot easier to enforce, and so much more likely on many different levels.

DeletedUser

David's right. No matter what banning religion is ordering people how to think. Nobody really likes having to be told how to think, that would be like me telling all you assorted atheists and assorted other religious types to believe 100% in Budha's work. Loss of religious freedom, in countries with a population that can rebel if they feel strongly restricted or a culture that has religion strongly integrated into it can only spell disaster. On a nice little a sidenote both Stalin and Hitler tried to say they were born on Christmas and brought up assorted pagan holidays long gone to try to make themselves into god for their people. As we know they failed quite miserably. When was the last time you ran into a Nazi that prays to Hitler or a Stalin worshipper?

DeletedUser

David's right. No matter what banning religion is ordering people how to think. Nobody really likes having to be told how to think...

I tried to bring my sons up to think for themselves, but it sometimes backfired on me. When the older one was 7 or 8 years old, he said something that made a lot of sense. He was upset, and I could tell he was seriously considering doing something destructive (little brothers can be extremely annoying at times!). I said, "Don't even think about it!", and he responded with, "You can tell me what to do, but you can't tell me what to think. I'm the only one that can do that."

I guess my point is that you could make people stop (openly) practicing religion, but you can't make them stop believing.

DeletedUser

Going along with Gordon's point, is not atheism a religion?

one definition of religion is:
a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/religion

I've never seen, read, or heard of actual, logically undeniable proof that there is no God. Whether by proving evolution or otherwise.

So would atheists be willing to give up thier beliefs?

DeletedUser

Exactly my point, although it's inevidable, it would be technically taking away anyone's main belief, no matter what it is.

Atheists have thier own church, sometimes they'll all get together in a little room and talk about what they believe as an atheist, or whatever, it's an exageration, but you see my point.

DeletedUser

a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects

I've never seen, read, or heard of actual, logically undeniable proof that there is no God. Whether by proving evolution or otherwise.

A rather large number of people believe that clean clothes look better than dirty clothes, and wash theirs regularly because of it. Does that make doing laundry a religion? One problem with your assertion is that atheists don't have a fundamental set of "beliefs and practices." They may believe that God doesn't exist (or that his existence can't be proven), but that's pretty much where the similarity ends.

DeletedUser

Obviously the only way to with finality to end the belief system to remove the part of the brain where beliefs form, but then you'd be dead, so no one wins... I think.

DeletedUser

With logic like that I'm not surprised you believe in fairy-tales.

Exactly my point, although it's inevidable, it would be technically taking away anyone's main belief, no matter what it is.

Atheists have thier own church, sometimes they'll all get together in a little room and talk about what they believe as an atheist, or whatever, it's an exageration, but you see my point.
Yes I do.
Let me point out your point for all to see:
You have no idea what you are going on about.

Obviously the only way to with finality to end the belief system to remove the part of the brain where beliefs form, but then you'd be dead, so no one wins... I think.
Let's kill 'em all.

DeletedUser

Let's kill 'em all.
:rolleyes:
You've told me that is the wrong answer too many times than for me to let this one slip... No John we can't kill them all because then that makes our enemies more justified... Unless they are so stupid that there is no chance of reason, in this case there is that chance therefore you can't go around killing them all, son... Case closed :laugh:

I guess my point is that you could make people stop (openly) practicing religion, but you can't make them stop believing.

That's absolutely correct. You can tell them to shut up, but when you try to shut them up, you better have a big gun by your side or else they will frenzy or just get meaner. Take blondie as an example, we all bash him like a ragdoll in september, and he's just getting meaner and meaner, and the lights go out sometimes, thankfully we are the majority with more power.

Bashing people will make them do different things, nobody handles insults that well, and some are affected differently than others. In Blondies case, his hate of most who poke him in the butt with twigs has grown even more since Darknoon finally lodged a stick in there, and even though he has managed to pull it out, he's started trying to beat people to death with it.

A faulty assumption, the hate-building has reached a point where he is trying to insult a 'localized enemy.' That enemy to him is the Athiests that poke fun at his beliefs. I'm no pro-JW either, and I have a few times poked at him, but the negative effects are as plain as the day there, mental fatigue and tolerance decreases and the subject becomes a husk of its original intentions and simply wants blood. They are mad. And as for Athiests being suppressed on religious forums, they tend to lean towards more dire tactics, although it takes A LOT more to get any of them to that point, considerably less for one of the theists because simply there is a logical reason for athiesm, and not so much for theism.

In theory, poke someone enough or try to shut them up too much and they squeal like a monkey and throw fecal matter at you.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

This is no place for Atheism/Theism debate, but there is no true proof of evolution, and to believe all of this is an accident takes far more faith than to believe everything was simply created. Most with an open mind would agree that it is easier to believe that a creator with no beginning created all that we know, than for the odds of life showing up out of nowhere.

The literal of odds of life creating itself are literally

1 out 10 followed by one billion zeros.

Im sorry but that is much less likely than for life to have been created. And that's not counting the odds of all of the variables of Earth size, shape, density, and the rest of the things that help to support life on this planet.

One researcher said, "The odds of life coming about out of nowhere could be compared to a perfect dictionary being formed by an explosion in a printery."

And im the one with no logic?

Status
Not open for further replies.