JR's Movie of the Week -- "Mad Max" Trilogy (1979-81-85)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Well, part of the point of Changeling, was that it was based on a true story.

DeletedUser

Seeing how this is turning into talk about Changeling, I thinkt it's time to move on.

Today I have a film I'd like to present.

Living in Oblivion (1995)
Written and directed by Tom DiCillo.
Starring Steve Buscemi as Nick Reve.

Tagline: Nick is about to discover the first rule of filmmaking: if at first you don't succeed... PANIC!

Movie was recommended to me by a friend in the business.
Says it's spot on when it comes to film-making.

It is an independant movie, and it has won several film festival awards.
I don't really know how best to present it other than to say I enjoyed it,
and I did recognize some of the stereotypes and situations portrayed.

Thoughts, opinions, experiences?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser8950

I'll ahve to watch it.
Next pick should be Million dollar baby or Philadelphia.

DeletedUser

Please do, I was going to ask if anyone wanted to present a movie, so it's great timing on your part. :)

DeletedUser

Apocalypse Now

200px-Apocnow.jpg

Directed by Francis Ford Coppola
Starring Martin Sheen, Marlon Brando, Robert Duvall

,,Saigon... ; I'm still only in Saigon... Every time I think I'm gonna wake up back in the jungle''

Apocalypse Now is a 1979 American epic war film set during the Vietnam War.
During the on-going Vietnam War, Captain Willard (Martin Sheen) is sent on a dangerous mission into Cambodia to assassinate a renegade Green Beret who has set himself up as a God among a local tribe. His target is Colonel Walter E. Kurtz (Marlon Brando), a man he secretly admires and is very anxious to meet with. He must move up river trough the jungle and cross the border to Cambodia.

,,I've seen horrors... horrors that you've seen. But you have no right to call me a murderer. You have a right to kill me. You have a right to do that... but you have no right to judge me.''

Apocalypse Now isn't you average war movie set in Vietnam. The only time when you see a battle on screen is during the infamous Ride of the Valkyries. I can't find enough words describe the scene and the the surfing scene that follows it. The film is more like a road move 'Nam style. Captain Willard meets many colourful and interesting individuals during his journey. The movie comes to a grande finale when Willard finally arrives to Kurtz's camp. The performance by Marlon Brando is unforgeable.

,,I love the smell of napalm in the morning.''

Today, the film is widely regarded as a masterpiece of the New Hollywood era.
The film won 2 Oscars, another 14 wins & 32 nominations. Its wiedly considered as the best war movie ever made. And I must agree, cause there is nothing else like it. The film has a lor of pop culture references, even in that smurf movie by Mr. Titanic.

DeletedUser8950

"I love the smell of Napalm in the morning."

Whenever I play mass effect 2 and hear the Illusive Man speak, I think of this legendary film. I loved it, good pick.

DeletedUser

eliel.... What can I say?
Awesome choice!

I approve! :D

Good review btw. :)

DeletedUser21720

a few other oldies but goodies:

the deer hunter
cool hand luke
one flew over the cuckoos nest

DeletedUser

I first watched Apocalypse Now as a teen while I was horribly sick. Bad move, damn movie really messed with my fevered head. I tried to watch it since, and unfortunately it only brings back the memories of me being sick, so am unable to experience that movie as it was intended.

DeletedUser

So, who has a movie they want to share?
An experience that means something to you, your life, the way you view things?
HAve you seen a film that tilted your perception of reality, if only for a short while?

DeletedUser

HAve you seen a film that tilted your perception of reality, if only for a short while?

Its funny that you said that, cause just yesterday I saw the film that messed around with me quite a bit. And since no one hasn't bothered to share and Im just dying to present this, so here comes a long one.

Sin City

200px-Sincitypostercast.jpg

Directed by Frank Miller, Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino

Starring Bruce Willis, Mickey Rourke, Clive Owen, Jessica Alba, Benicio del Toro, Brittany Murphy and Elijah Wood

Sin City, also known as Frank Miller's Sin City, is a 2005 American crime thriller film written, produced, and directed by Frank Miller and Robert Rodriguez. It is a film noir based on Miller's graphic novel series of the same name.

First of all you should know that if Robert Rodriquez And Quentin Tarantino are both directing the same film, then you're in for a good one. Although Rodriquez is the main man with this one. And don't forget that Miller's graphic novel is the foundation of the motion picture.

First thing you notice is that the film is shot in black and white. The thing that makes it more interesting is the occasional usage of other colours like red and yellow. I have to say that if it would have been just another colored picture, then it would lost half of its beauty. Here's a sample from the film:

sincity_wideweb__430x329.jpg

Now lets get on with the plot. The film consists of 3 parallel story lines and prelude set 8 years earlier. So it has some similarities with Pulp Fiction, although it doesn't mess around with the timeline. So basically the film comes in 4 parts.

The Yellow (Part 1)

Bruce Willis plays John Hartigan, an ageing detective in pursuit of a rapist. Hartigan makes it clear that its his last case and he is willing to die to save the girl who has been kidnapped. Finally he manages to save the girl and kill the rapist, but is shot in the back by his partner. The part ends with showing Hartigan catching his last breath.

The Hard Goodbye

This part begins by showing a one-night stand between Marv( Mickey Rourke) and Goldie. When Marv wakes up, he finds Goldie dead and the police coming to get him. He escapes and swears to find Goldie's killer no matter what. After a trail of bodies he finds the man behind the kill, a sick cannibal named Kevin(Elijah Wood). After the torturing process(which involves sawing off all the limbs, feeding the mutilated Kevin to a dog and finally cutting off his head), Marv heads to kill the mastermind behind all of this. Marv then kill the Cardinal, who worked with Kevin. The cardinal gets killed, but bodyguards shoot Marv. He is taken to hospital, only to be executed in the end.

The Big Fat Kill

This story tell about Shellie( Brittany Murphy), who is harresed by his ex-boyfriend Jackie Boy(Benicio del Toro), and her current boyfriend Dwight(Clive Owen). Dwight chases Jackie to Old Town, where Jackie gets killed by a gang of prostitutes. It turns out that Jackie was cop, so Dwight and the prostitutes must deal with the mob who tries to turn in in their favor. I must say that this is the most humorous part of the film.

The Yellow (Part 2)

It turns out that Hartigan survived after being shot like 10 times and is put to jail. He still recives letter from Nancy, the girl he saved. 8 years later he is released. It turns out the the rapist he killed also survived and has now tuned into a yellow due to surgery. Hartigan must now protect the 19 year old Nancy(Jessica Alba). Finally he manages to kill the yellow dude, but decides to end his life so that they would leave the girl alone.

Now that was the summarise of the plot, so lets get to the part of explaining why this movie is worth seeing. Basically its about showing how cool ultra violent scenes look in black and white. The movie doesn't pay any attention to logic or reality, the good guys can survive endless amount of injuries, including a grenade blowing right next to them(twice) and even a hit by electric chair. It reminds a zombie slasher with limbs and other bodyparts flying around constantly. The humour is black and twisted. All characters are
well played, but the one the dazzled me most was the character of Elijah Wood. Most of you know him as Frodo, but this time he played a mute cannibal close to Lecter's level. If you don't like violent movies, then this not for you. But if you liked Kill Bill, then you are going do adore this.

DeletedUser

Think the movie has been done before, but that doesn't matter.
IT's well worth watching more than once. ;)

Personally I find it especially interresting how we find ourselves rooting for Marv despite him being one mean bugger. I'll stop here before I venture into film theory land.

Thanks for sharing Eliel, although I do believe a plot summary might be ruining it for those that haven't seen it yet (assuming those exist).

DeletedUser1121

I really enjoyed watching this movie. Rourke really puts down a nice character on Marv.
That is one of my favourite lines in this movie. I really like scene where he is driving a car and scrubs a guys face over the streets and says:
Eventually they all talk

Another one is where he gets that hitman in the ally and beats him up.
Before shooting him he says
That there is one damn fine coat you're wearing

Aww just a great movie.

And i must agree about the use of the colours. it really adds something

Status
Not open for further replies.