Website The West Wiki

DeletedUser

Hi everyone.

I'm pretty new here, and the IRC is very quiet in my time zone. Figured I might as well ask on the forums:

I love West Stats and I'm wholly appreciative of all of the information it provides.

However, I prefer wikis. I really like how much cross-referencing there is, innately, and it's the format I'm used to. Are there, currently existing, any The West wikis? Searching on the forums found the word wiki to be too general, I guess.

If there are currently no wikis, is it alright for me to create one?

DeletedUser

There aren't are wiki's for The West and as far as I know there aren't any planned. I guess you would be allowed to make one, but check with the mods and/or devs. If you do make one, I would be happy to help with making pics.

Deleted User - 819397

I would like that...it would allow for extremely easy access to everything.

DeletedUser14280

You're welcome to try, go ahead.
However...I doubt that you'll be able to do much to help people...wait a sec.

I have an idea.
When you list jobs available, you could describe more about them,
including the description when you open the job, description when you take damage, and so on.
In addition, you could list the best items available at every level for the job.

That'd help people a lot, especially if they don't want to register on WestStats for some reason.

DeletedUser

There's a German wiki for the game, but I didn't find it with a quick search, just this, which has links to several wikis for the game, but the two English ones only have 3 and 15 articles.

DeletedUser

Thanks a lot everyone, this has been really helpful.

I'll be starting a wiki on Wikidot, since I'm familiar with their format, etc.

You can find it at: thewest.wikidot.com. As it was only recently started, there's almost nothing there. I'll be putting information as I'm able. If you want to help, please feel free, but no need to feel obligated, I'll be working on it as I'm able and I'll post an update when I feel it's more complete.

Thanks again,

Myndaen!

DeletedUser14280

I insist on helping.

Maybe I'll do an article on Picking Tobacco.
I'll title it: Picking Tobacco (job). Is that okay?

I wonder, is there anywhere that says that there's 92 jobs you can do exactly?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I insist on helping.

Maybe I'll do an article on Picking Tobacco.
I'll title it: Picking Tobacco (job). Is that okay?

I wonder, is there anywhere that says that there's 92 jobs you can do exactly?

Great! Please feel free to register and input whatever you want!

I try to organize it by the following format:

Parent_category:Sub_category

IE: I'd do picking tobacco as jobs:picking_tobacco

I haven't put that specific information up yet, in fact I haven't even quite gotten to jobs, but I plan to put a list of the jobs on the job page. I'm not 100% sure how I'll organize it yet. It's open to input, though!

If you want to add a quest, you can use the template here:

http://thewest.wikidot.com/quest-template

DeletedUser14006

What is the point in this when the information that will probably be on this wiki will be the same as that on west stats?

DeletedUser

What is the point in this when the information that will probably be on this wiki will be the same as that on west stats?

Misread what you said, but ultimately the answer is the same: I like wikis, and I like their style. On West Stats you can't click an item and see how you acquire it. On a complete wiki, you will.

DeletedUser

The wiki is sort of a mixture of the help and the info part of West Stats - it doesn't have the import stuff etc.

DeletedUser14280

Joy!
Also, I've come up with a plan for the picking tobacco page:

First, an info box.
It could contain the symbol for the job, the money, exp, luck, danger, difficulty, and skills required.

Next, an introduction. I think that for picking tobacco, you'd have a bit about how it's a good money job for 1 level characters.

After that, I think that maps of the worlds are in order, to show where the job appears.
I understand that all of the worlds are exactly the same regarding landscape and jobs, only the towns and players are different.

And finally, or at least, the last thing I thought of, good items you can use for the job.
I would suggest using WestStats to find the best equipment every few levels.

Now, the problem. Does anyone know how to do an info box?

DeletedUser

It looks good, but personally I prefer lighter backgrounds with darker backgrounds on headers and such.

DeletedUser14280

Hmm...that looks alright, Myndaen.
However, I was actually thinking that you could place the box next to the introduction, make the skill icons a bit smaller, and the job icon as big as possible without distorting it.

So, I'm sure you know, but if you open your minimap in-game, you can make the towns and such disappear from it by clicking their names on the right of the minimap.
Then, if you select a job, you can have a map free of little red dots.
That'll be useful in making maps.

DeletedUser

Thanks a lot everyone, this has been really helpful.

I'll be starting a wiki on Wikidot, since I'm familiar with their format, etc.

You can find it at: thewest.wikidot.com. As it was only recently started, there's almost nothing there. I'll be putting information as I'm able. If you want to help, please feel free, but no need to feel obligated, I'll be working on it as I'm able and I'll post an update when I feel it's more complete.

Thanks again,

Myndaen!

For your wiki

Donkey: I found this whilst drilling for oil... strange but true!

DeletedUser

For your wiki

Donkey: I found this whilst drilling for oil... strange but true!

Why is that strange and why should it be in the wiki? I've found a couple drilling for oil, among other jobs. Jobs where you can find various low value items isn't worth collecting. The possible items that can be found changes drastically as LPs go up.