Town Rankings - Poll

DeletedUser

But, again, I don't really care. So whatever the system is, I'll keep doing what I've done all along: ignoring it. :)

Now if you don't care about town rankings and don't want to chk it even again why are you discussing town ranking here?Diggo11 posted some good points and you are turning this to a useless argument.As you don't want the town ranking to be 'better' please leave the discussion to those who does.

I can see you never been to a top town so you don't know the feeling either.

DeletedUser3773

What ever system they choose it should be one that is constantly changing i.e. duels/ total xp(of players)

Name and time of completion are useless since it will become stagnant

Town ranks should reflect the power of the town

DeletedUser

Now if you don't care about town rankings and don't want to chk it even again why are you discussing town ranking here? Diggo11 posted some good points and you are turning this to a useless argument.

Good ideas rise to the top in a debate, so what's the harm? Diggo's points may be persuasive to you; they aren't to me. It's a poll, hence there's room for disagreement. And I like to debate things.

As you don't want the town ranking to be 'better' please leave the discussion to those who does.

Excuse me? Don't put words in my mouth. I said I don't care, but I didn't say I don't want it to be "better". I'd love for it to be "better". I just don't agree with your idea of what "better" would be. AND I don't care. :p

If your position depends on booting dissenters from the discussion based on straw-manning them, it's probably a weak position and should be challenged.

I can see you never been to a top town so you don't know the feeling either.

True. I am a player of the game, though, and a founder of several towns. Why should only the top level people be allowed to even discuss the issue? A better way to factor in experience is to allow everyone to participate, while considering the background of each person in deciding how much weight to give their input -- if that's important to you. Again, good ideas should rise to the top regardless of who suggests them.

Competition > monopoly.

DeletedUser

True. I am a player of the game, though, and a founder of several towns. Why should only the top level people be allowed to even discuss the issue? A better way to factor in experience is to allow everyone to participate, while considering the background of each person in deciding how much weight to give their input -- if that's important to you. Again, good ideas should rise to the top regardless of who suggests them.

He's clearly a Federalist. They didn't think we were qualified to elect the president and they wanted the House of Representatives to do it. The Electoral College was a compromise.

I'm not sure why, but I seem to have lapsed into a history lesson.

DeletedUser

I prefer sth like player rankings. extra part in ranking section to show top towns in duel, experienced layers, etc. for the main town ranking section alphabetical is good.

DeletedUser

That's an idea - multiple rankings lists, based on different criteria.

There, now everybody can be happy.

Diggo11

If the record is for biggest, then sure, I agree. Is that what is being ranked? I don't see any such indication that size is the criterion here.
Ok what the hell? Say their is a record for having the biggest town in The West RPG. Town #1 maxed his town and obtained the record. This means Town #2 can't break the record, but for equalling it they get to be second on the list. And it should continue down in this way.

I've already suggested, above, a way to award those achievements without ossifying the town ranking list.
So what makes your idea about it any better than mine?

Straw man. I've denounced that method too, so don't waste time mentioning it with me.
You asked for my reasons and this is one of them. Why would you criticise me because we have similar reasoning?

Rash (though not counterintuitive) assumption, and as I keep pointing out, even if that is true at one point in time, it can change. The first 4-door sedan ever made may have been the best one right then, but it isn't now. The best one now won't be the best one forever.

If everyone left the first maxed town and it filled up with MadAlices, would you still consider it the #1 town in the world? If so, then there's nothing for us to discuss; we simply are never going to agree. I want the ratings to reflect current circumstances, and I don't care which town was completed first. That's only trivia to me.
Look at this rationally, things COULD change. The duellers and soldiers will mostly stay, they aren't known to be town jumpers. The adventurers really have no reason to stay, but what reason do they have to leave either? I'd imagine life as normal for them. Now the workers could leave and most probably will, but some will simply reorganise their skills & attributes.

And if they are stupid enough to hand MadAlice leadership it shouldn't change, we're ranking towns not the people in them at any current time. Its the people who built it who will be able to take credit for it, no matter how many MadAlice's currently occupy it.

Anyway about your example you are looking at it all wrong. The towns and their players will always continue to improve, just as the cars you talk about have. And either way that car will soon be vintage and quite valuable.

DeletedUser

Average level

I think the best way of ranking the towns with the same amount of points is by their average player level!;)

DeletedUser1105

I don't think the current ranking system works either. It's pretty pointless.

In the town I am in on World 2, we have not even maxed out the town because it's only the town hall left, so what's the point, except to be a point *****?

I think Violette was right, it just needs to have a number of different criteria. Like the stats, it doesn't list who has spent the most attributes and skill points, it breaks it down per skill.

Diggo11

I don't think the current ranking system works either. It's pretty pointless.

In the town I am in on World 2, we have not even maxed out the town because it's only the town hall left, so what's the point, except to be a point *****?
But point-whoring is fun :) Except on TW where a rainbow of horsies eat you :sad:

Anyway I think you should max it out. In this game "maxing out" towns is sorta like a bragging right, a right of passage from noobhood to veteran!

DeletedUser1105

Veteran? It doesn't take long enough to max out for anyone to be a veteran!

I agree that people actually like point-whoring. Otherwise why are all these towns maxing thier town hall? In the town I'm in, we don't agree. They are building a 2nd and 3rd town, so why waste money/time/motivation building a useless town hall when they can be over in the other towns upgrading the amount of items we have available to us.

But pretty soon hundreds of towns will be maxed out, and where is the fun in just being the first to do it? That can still be a ranking, as mentioned above, but these additional rankings

DeletedUser

Violette had it right all along. We should have just listened to her.

DeletedUser

Good ideas rise to the top in a debate, so what's the harm? Diggo's points may be persuasive to you; they aren't to me. It's a poll, hence there's room for disagreement. And I like to debate things.

Excuse me? Don't put words in my mouth. I said I don't care, but I didn't say I don't want it to be "better". I'd love for it to be "better". I just don't agree with your idea of what "better" would be. AND I don't care. :p
Problem is you are not debating for good ideas,you are debating just for the sake of debating.No I don't have any problem with other ideas and actually I gave up arguing with you in 2nd page.But you are the one with problem as every time someone posts in favor of completetion you decide to flame him.

I never said only top town should discuss here.Its just your 1k towns will never top any type of ranking so i am not sure why you are wasting so much time here.We can carry on debating as long as you want but I really don't see any point.

He's clearly a Federalist. They didn't think we were qualified to elect the president and they wanted the House of Representatives to do it. The Electoral College was a compromise.

I'm not sure why, but I seem to have lapsed into a history lesson.

Nope I am not Federalist[whatever that means] and I don't like Electoral College system either.But I don't live in states,so not my problem.

DeletedUser

Allowing bragging rights to come from a maxed out town to those inhabiting it assumes that towns are bound to people.

They aren't.

Just because they were the first to max out a town means only one thing: the town was the first maxed out town. That doesn't give anyone bragging rights, because a town is never fixed to a person or inhabitants. How do you know that the current "founder" or mayor (the black hat one) is the one that started the town? You don't! The same goes for it's inhabitants

It doesn't say anything about the quality of the town, the process of building it, the quality of the players in it, because that can all change. If I join as a lvl 1 character, and join the best town in the game, what bragging rights should I be entitled to?

The current ranking system is pure nonsense, because it doesn't rank anything anymore. It was fun while towns were racing to the top, but as soon as the second one hit the top, the fun was off. Simply change a name and you're first on the list. What value does that list have then?

I also oppose diggo's approach: the first town ever should not be ranked first for ever. That way a town is depicted as a hollow shell, with no kudo's for those inside or those that helped building it.
Towns are a community that only lives because of the players in it. Therefore, if you want to rank a town for quality, you should look to the players in it. The players are the dynamic variable that you want to rank. A town is just a name with some static statistics that never change once it's been maxed out.

By ranking the town using the players as the foundation of it's score, you give credit where credit is due: to the actual inhabitants of a town at that particular moment in time. I believe that will also fuel a usefull persuit: staying on top of the list. This will be a motivational factor for those in it, and those are factors a game needs.

DeletedUser

Problem is you are not debating for good ideas,you are debating just for the sake of debating.

I can't be doing both? :huh:

No I don't have any problem with other ideas and actually I gave up arguing with you in 2nd page.

Evidently I'm a hard habit to break. :bandit:

But you are the one with problem as every time someone posts in favor of completetion you decide to flame him.

I've done no such thing. I've attacked the idea, because I think it's lame and that we can do better. Your statement here is more of an ad hominem attack on me than anything I've said about anyone. Looks to me as though you're trying to justify shutting me up/out.

I never said only top town should discuss here.Its just your 1k towns will never top any type of ranking so i am not sure why you are wasting so much time here.We can carry on debating as long as you want but I really don't see any point.

Well, we can agree on the last sentence, at least, due to the attitude fueling the statement above in bold. :dry:

Again: Violette had it right all along (with honorable mention to VinWij for his excellent explanation recently). Just make the town ranking system like the player ranking system, with multiple metrics from which the user can choose. Then you can have your preciousss and others can view other ranking orders. Everybody's happy.

And, with that... there really is no more point to going on here. :)

VOTE! VOTE! Ve vant to VOTE!