Dueling Option: Challenge or Ambush

Do you like the idea of two attack options for dueling?

• No. My reasons are my own

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • No. I hate change, and I hate consequences.

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Yes. It allows good guys to be good and bad guys to be bad

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • Yes!!!

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • Well... I... hmmm.... read my post below

Votes: 4 5.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

I choose to duel StrangerX (my reasons are my own)

I get a popup screen asking me to choose CHALLENGE or AMBUSH mode for the duel.

1. I choose to challenge Stranger X
---a. StrangerX gets a duel notice with an option to accept or decline
---b. StrangerX accepts, we meet at high noon, the combat resolves, we both get reports
---c. StrangerX declines. He adds one pip to his declined stat and I get to annoy him with telegrams about what a coward he is... or go happily on my way to find someone else to play with.

2. I choose to ambush StrangerX
---a. knowing full well this puts me a greater risk
---b. ambush logic tests my hiding+tactics (how well i plan my attack) against the local sheriff's (or gangleader's) leadership+tactics (how well he guards his area)
---c. if I win the test I sneak past the local guard and attack StrangerX with a slight penalty (i.e. -3 to shooting/vigor? I ain't as deadly when i'm trying to be sneaky, but I'm counting on the fact that X ain't got his fightin duds on)
---d. if i fail the test it penalty time. I get an option screen. I can choose:
---1. Go to jail - time lost in the local penalty box. (8 hours?, exit w/ '0' energy, find my way back home and lick my wounded pride)
---2. Running gunfight: successive battles with each defender in town, as they chase me off. If they knock me out I go to jail anyway, and loose 1 appearance (other bandits ain't as impressed with me when i keep gettin myself caught... if i get caught too much even the school marms will be laughin as I walk by).

Cool thing about adding a jail is having your buddies come break you out!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1105

It's seems like a good idea, but I think it would just add too much detail to the duelling, which I think is fine as it is.

DeletedUser

Very nice Thomas . I would suggest that the difficulty of "sneaking" past the Sheriff be linked to the level of of the "Jail" .The 'Jail" being a building towns can level up to give their communities better protection .

DeletedUser

This idea will add some functions to skills .Awesome!!!Every skill should has their own functions ,not just a value for jobs.

DeletedUser

I think your model is definately worth discussing, your bigger picture ofc depends on a few larger features, but the key CHALLENGE/AMBUSH setup definately has my vote.

DeletedUser

Don't understand this;
When is 'high noon'? If you are saying that both players need to be online at the same time, then that is impractical.
if you choose to 'ambush' [which is the current default, i guess] why would that put you at a disadvantage?

If this is yet another attempt to make duelling even less possible then don't bother responding cos i ain't interested.

DeletedUser

i like your ideas but i think instead of losing 1 apperance perminatly, thats a little harsh cause its hard it earn skill points latter on in the game. it should only be temporarily lost like say for one or two days. also on the break out of jail option only your fellow town members like duelers or soldiers could bust you out, that would earn them money and experience.
there those are my two cents.:D:D

DeletedUser

Just wanted to point out that if you could ambush a player after walker to the town with the mortician wouldn't that kinda announce your presence?

Also if you could 'ambush' a duel (which sounds funny) then why would'nt you be able to ambush a non-citizen? Or a bunny rabbit? Or a prospector? Or a farmer....?

I think the ambush option would detract from the 'honor' and 'glory' of challenging players to a duel...

DeletedUser

I agree that losing 1 appearance would be too harsh, and I think that 8 hours in jail is too long. If it were done, I'd rather see it just be that the person can't duel anyone from that town for 3 hours or something like that.

DeletedUser

Honor optional

what is the difference betwen the 2?
Attack character, with consent = duel
Attack character, without consent = ambush

I would suggest that the difficulty of "sneaking" past the Sheriff be linked to the level of of the "Jail"
Good idea Jones. both+and

When is 'high noon'? If you are saying that both players need to be online at the same time...
NO! Completely impractical! high Noon is not a "time" its a concept. Both players go into the battle knowing what's coming. In effect, you walk in the saloon and pick a fight then take it outside. But the game logic runs as soon as the vic accepts, then both players get a report.

...why would an ambush put you at a disadvantage?
sneaking around enemy territory is a good way to find trouble

I think the ambush option would detract from the 'honor' and 'glory' of challenging players to a duel...
That's just the point. Vultures are already ambushing without honor and glory. Want your honor back? Look me in the eye before you pull your sixgun (or slingshot). Want to play the honor-deficient bandito? Be willing to face to consequences of the lifestyle. Seems like I've heard of a hanging or two in the Old West.

DeletedUser

Attack character, with consent = duel
Attack character, without consent = ambush

That's just it: Dueling without consent. You already "Duel without Consent" When I get challenged I do not receive a report: You have been challenged to a duel by xxxx, Do you accept? no, I just get a battle report letting me know if i won or lost. I could be over 10 hrs away from my hometown and already get unexpectedly 'ambushed' while I'm shopping....

If you could ambush a player from a town, then why wouldn't you be able to ambush any cotton picking non-citizen?

And if you could ambush anyone then why would you need a mortician?
Let the buzzards eat the remains.

DeletedUser1105

But if you challenge someone, they may not reply for a while. Then you may go and duel some other people. If you lose and your health points go down, the person you challeged may accept and beat you, then you get knocked out.

DeletedUser

So besides being able to refuse duels, what you guys are asking is for duels to be taken out of the job queue?? Because it would pretty much kill dueling if your character stood around doing nothing while waiting for the victim to accept/refuse

DeletedUser1105

So besides being able to refuse duels, what you guys are asking is for duels to be taken out of the job queue?? Because it would pretty much kill dueling if your character stood around doing nothing while waiting for the victim to accept/refuse

I wasn't saying that. I was arguing AGAINST this idea.

DeletedUser

Lol slightly off topic but anyway don't you hate it when people make the negative option sound like you're an idiot or otherwise wrong if you pick it.

Also more on topic i think that there isn't anything wrong with duelling as it as so therefore i see no reason to change it at all.

DeletedUser

I wasn't saying that. I was arguing AGAINST this idea.

As am I argue against this idea too!

my point is that if 'ambush' was allowed, then why would we need morticians? Or even belong to a town?

Status
Not open for further replies.