Upgrading Items

DeletedUser37135

Item upgrade isn't working for some reason. The upgrade window opens and I can select the item I want then that's it. The 'Level Up' button stays gray. Is this a bug or am I missing something? Thanks.

DeletedUser

That would be my call too. I have tried to upgrade items and become very frustrated that I couldn't, only to read the item's description and it said, "This item cannot be upgraded."

DeletedUser37135

No the items can be upgraded. "or you don't have 3 same items?" What do you mean, I need to have 3 of the item to upgrade it?

DeletedUser

Yeah. That's the rules for upgrading. It tells you in the quest, if you do that.
You need 3 basic items to make 1 level-1 item.
You need 3 level-1 items to make 1 level-2 item and so on.
So the higher the levels that you want, the more expensive it will become to buy the quantities and pay for the upgrade.

Post edit: A clearer explanation...
Level 1 requires 3 of the same item
Level 2 requires 9 of the same item
Level 3 requires 27 of the same item etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser36192

Make sure you also have the upgrade tab open on your top screen

DeletedUser34295

Is level 3 the maximum upgrade or is it technically unlimited or something? :)

DeletedUser

Wait.... what? Not sure I understand this at all. Please help...

I'm working on earning the Wolfman's set (from the 4th of July). As as example I'll use the first item, the Wolfman's wolf head.

I take it off so it's in my inventory and available to put in the upgrade interface.

I open the upgrade interface, move my inventory to the upgradable tab, click the Wolfman's wolf head to move it to the upgrade interface on the left side.

It says $4000, but I can't click the Level Up button.

Based on the info provided above, I notice now that the two boxes to the right appear to have shadowy Wolfman's wolf heads in them.

Are you guys saying that you (I) need two more of the same item to upgrade to level two (and etc. to higher levels)? Or just two other first level items?.... I'm figuring it's (logically) the first option.

Does that mean that items in sets like this are basically not upgradeable? Because how would I ever get three of them? Can you go all the way through 120 builds and start over to get the low level items again? Will I be able to randomly get those items for completing other quests? (I have received items from other sets, so I guess that makes sense, or at least seems possible.) Will I be able to buy them?

I have Precise Shotgun that appears to be upgradeable, and wasn't very expensive. I guess I could look around for two more of those to buy and see if I can upgrade it,, just for the experience/fun of it.

But if having three of the same item is the only way that seems a very difficult process (and I'm OK with difficult) and takes away some of the fun, and maybe even some of the value of that feature (because it seems nearly impossible with some items).

Also, yes, clearly I'm fairly new to The West. Apologies if this is annoying or redundant. I've got hours of tasks lined up and was just poking around trying to see if there was anything I could do while I waited.

DeletedUser33353

You will indeed need 3 of the same items to upgrade. The Wolfman's set is a unique set that would not be upgradeable, but the other tombola items are. Hopefully that helped you a little, or confused you more.

Pankreas PorFavor

yes, you need 3 of the same to be able to upgrade (3 precise shotguns > Level 1 precise shotgun. 3x Level 1 prec.shotgun > Level 2 prec.shotgun etc.).
for some sets that is impossible because you can only get these items once (for example when you get the items as quest rewards, e.g. Christopher's parade items) and they cannot be sold over the market. tombola set items (e.g. Runner's, Smithy's, Stranger's items) are usually upgradeable because you can get more than one item and you can buy them over the market (usually they are made auctionable a couple of days after the tombola event is over).
Wolfman's items - I have no idea what will happen. currently they cannot be sold over the market, but the game allows you to add them to the upgrade interface. maybe they will be auctionable after the event is over, it happened before. I actually expect that to happen this time too like it happened with Crow's items from Valentine's day tombola.

DeletedUser

Nope, not any more confused. Good answers.

Pankreas, makes perfect sense, because I have items from some of the other sets you mentioned. Well, I like the Wolfman's set, so there's that, at least. Not sure I would sell it anyway.

Thank you both for the quick replies.

asdf124

Nope, not any more confused. Good answers.

Pankreas, makes perfect sense, because I have items from some of the other sets you mentioned. Well, I like the Wolfman's set, so there's that, at least. Not sure I would sell it anyway.

Thank you both for the quick replies.

Wolfman's set isn't sellable, tambola freebie sets(the ones you get from rounds etc) aren't usually sellable or auctionable.

DeletedUser

For anyone checking this is the future, as was mentioned earlier in this thread, there is eventually a quest/lesson explaining how this works. I reached the point of wondering how it works faster than normal, I believe, because of the current tombola (I guess is what it's called - the 4th of July Wolfman's quest thing). If I hadn't received so many of the same items as rewards I probably wouldn't have wondered about it at all.