Duel level cap

DeletedUser30224

Idea title: Put an upper limit on duel level (420)

Details of idea: I was reading the forum and found something grenadier777 wrote inspiring. He/she mentioned a duel level cap and I thought it is not a bad idea at all so here is the proposal. If you want to read his/her post, here it is:http://forum.the-west.net/showpost.php?p=712775&postcount=65

If we had a duel lvl cap, then even the exp duellers would have plenty of targets. We don't have to remove the duel level completely to achieve what we want. The latest change in duel motivation being split from NPC duel motivation has left 0 mots in a sour position where they can still stay 0 mots, but with greater effort, or let their duel level rise. Capped duel level at 420 lets you duel as low as 300, which means that there is a cushion of protection from non-duelers. Non-duellers will never be protected so to speak from duels, because of the perseverance of 0 mot's and also because of the influx of new players.

What does this fix? Well it obviously helps mostly experience duellers. Presuming you are at 450 duel lvl, you can still duel anyone down to duel lvl 300 increasing your potential duel partners. But this also means that at least half of the "good" 0 mots that were purely practicing 0 mot dueling to keep their targets high can now go wild and raise in duel level.

Summary:
  • Put a cap on Duel Level to prevent duellers from going out of targets.
  • This will create a large number of duellers that will be able to duel eachother.
  • It doesn't prevent 0 motivation duellers from staying 0 mots.
  • It does not have an impact on non-duellers (even at max character lvl 150, you are unlikely to have a duel level twice as large as your character level even if you win the occasional duel).

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

420 seems pretty high - there I said it. Maybe to avoid any jokes, it could be 450 or 500.

DeletedUser

This wont work and wont get passed the voting, there are very few high levels and many many low level duellers.

Best solution is to allow all people after certain level to duel each other. That level to be 450 is good. They wont get any exp if for example a player with duelling level of 640 win a duel against a player with duelling level of 450 but the low level can still duel high level and get huge exp.

DeletedUser30224

This wont work and wont get passed the voting, there are very few high levels and many many low level duellers.

Best solution is to allow all people after certain level to duel each other. That level to be 450 is good. They wont get any exp if for example a player with duelling level of 640 win a duel against a player with duelling level of 450 but the low level can still duel high level and get huge exp.

Why don't you let me worry about what gets to voting and what doesn't. 420 or 450 makes little difference you agree?

If you are DL 300 and duel 420 then you get 4335 exp and 1445 duel exp.
If you are DL 450 and duel 630 then you get 6495 exp and 2165 duel exp.
If you are DL 630 and duel 630 then you get 3795 exp and 1265 duel exp.
If you are DL 420 and duel 420 then you get 2535 exp and 845 duel exp.

It is better to duel high DL, but we all agree that being high DL is not the wisest thing to do as you really limit your targets.
If you allow anyone above a certain duel lvl to duel upwards that wouldn't be a bad idea except that it is. That would allow players with duel lvl at that limit to duel anyone above , regardless of how big the DL difference, potentially winning astronomical experience...therefore an exploit.

DeletedUser33353

I like the idea. It would not nerf zero-moti types, nor would it be terribly hard to code.
Sign me up :)

DeletedUser34315

I think it's a good idea. Having a cap would dramatically increase targets for all experience duelers.

DeletedUser

I think this would be a good idea! Although, what would happen to those who are already over the mark? Would they go down to the spot or would they stay the same?

DeletedUser

We'd have to go down for this update to work.

No matter. Dueling levels jumped when v2.0 went live, I think. Not positive when, but I do recall them jumping. I figure if they can go up, they can go down. It is a simple coding thing, anyhow.

HelenBack

420 seems pretty high - there I said it. Maybe to avoid any jokes, it could be 450 or 500.

lol... Yes someone had to say it... ;)

This would open up the targets for those who currently are struggling to find any. I'm just wondering if a low-mid level dueler (say level 60) would still wind up dueling someone that is level 150. That is another concern for some ZMDs.

I think that getting rid of the duel levels completely and having a range of 10-20 (or whatever) levels above and below their regular level would keep people with similar available AP/SP in the same duel range (not counting purchased skills of course).

All the dueling XP can be used as a rewards system for the top dueler award... or status rather. Since there isn't an actual "reward"... Just bragging rights.
:)

Maybe there could even be an option for non-duelers... Flick a switch on their profile and only people within the 5-10 level range can duel them. Or half (or some percentage) of whatever the numbers wind up being. It would just lower the number of people that could duel them. There probably should be some kind of buffer time... So someone can't duel then flick the switch to non-dueler. Maybe have it take 24 hours to kick in... and it has to be for 1 week at a time. I don't know... Just a thought. Oh and of course during this time, they would not be able to initiate any PVP duels. Otherwise, what would be the point of a non-dueling option. NPC/Quest duels would be allowed tho... No sense in limiting the ability to do quests or dailies. This could also be worth some Bonds/Nuggets, I wouldn't go with Nuggets only tho... It should be available to everyone. Although, it will be kinda useless once everyone gets to level 150. But it would help those in the beginning and middle ranges.
;)

Last edited:

DeletedUser30224

This would open up the targets for those who currently are struggling to find any. I'm just wondering if a low-mid level dueler (say level 60) would still wind up dueling someone that is level 150. That is another concern for some ZMDs.

And what exactly is currently stopping high lvl players to duel that poor ? Please people, if you bring arguments make sure they hold water :)

I think that getting rid of the duel levels completely and having a range of 10-20 (or whatever) levels above and below their regular level would keep people with similar available AP/SP in the same duel range (not counting purchased skills of course).

By itself alone will not be permitted. Non-combatants need some sort of protection. If you quit town to get away from duelling then you should be provided with alternatives to shop from town shops at normal prices, to construct buildings outside the town and so on. That switch thing you went on talking about in the closure of your post might be a solution but is too crude in that form. I quite like the idea though especially the fact that you not only proposed a cool down period but also a buffer zone between character levels. That is constructive thinking and something this section has been designed for.

DeletedUser30224

Duel or Job KO, perhaps? What are those for, then?

Not sufficient in that context. I was replying to Helen about her post, you are taking stuff out of context. In our situation that is more than enough. In fact nothing really changes in regards to non-combatants with a duel lvl cap that this proposal is introducing. A non-combatant should never have a duel lvl of 300 and those that do have the option to keep under Ko with jobs or Duels...either is fine, even if you drop job KO. But regarding to Helen's post, job Ko and Duel Ko will just not be accepted if removed, I am sure of it (though of course there is no way for me to prove it).

I would urge you next time to send me a PM instead of making posts that can only be classified as spam. (a post must be relevant to idea in one form or other)

Thank you kindly for understanding.

DeletedUser

A non-combatant should never have a duel lvl of 300 and those that do have the option to keep under Ko with jobs or Duels...either is fine, even if you drop job KO.

Depend on your situation on non-combatant. This is not good as this is a game for playing for years. Every character can be dueler skill-build at some point and in 1 month of active dueling the dueling level can go as HIGH as you like. Then this player is combatant FOREVER in your dictionary but maybe the purpose of dueling was just getting achievement for it.

Still my best solution is allow people from some dueling level to duel each other freely regardless of how low or high they get exp.

Another additional option that might be helpful is reducing dueling level by 1 each week or each two weeks. Then that will help with current update that separate the NPC duel motivation with regular player duel motivation.