Fort Buff for Saddlers!!

DeletedUser28189

Proposal

The lowly Master Saddler has suffered from making nothing but speed buffs long enough! Every other crafting trade creates a buff that is applicable to fort battle, dueling, or both in some reasonable manner. If/when there is a new addition to crafting recipes, the Saddler MUST be made respectable and valuable, and be able to prepare buffs for fort battle.

Current Workaround

None. The greatest contribution the Saddler has to forts is getting you to them "faster", although the Saddler's buffs are not nearly as effective as "nugget jumping" and the Bond Shop Ground Turtle Shell.

Details

The West ignores one very significant aspect to battle of the period that the Saddler craft would be perfect for : cavalry. Cavalry units gave soldiers the advantage of size, strength, height advantage and swiftness, and were so important that whole regiments were made of riding soldiers. It was a powerful weapon and aid, and as such, it would be reasonable to make it a higher tier craft item, possibly even requiring collaboration from all 4 crafting trades to create them.

Features of cavalry buff:

Positive feature - Multiple adjacent sector movements per turn outside of fort! Limit to 2 sectors max.
Positive feature - Nominal Fort Sector Bonus (attack and defense)
Positive feature - Nominal Damage Bonus
Negative feature - Limited interior sector positioning and movement. It's not likely that a horse is going to get in a tower or on top of a building, but they would be able to mount walls and cross through gates. For the sake of being reasonable and workable, the horse rider could mount or jump off the wall.
Negative feature - Nominal Negative Bonus Inside of the Fort (sitting duck on a tall horse)
Contributing Crafters: As mentioned, a special craft buff such as this may require collaboration from all four trades. Contributed materials may be indirect, such as knives for horse blankets (let's please put some unused crafts to work!), tinderboxes from Tonic Peds and Corn Flour from Cooks. It may be fitting to include the use of a premade speed buff such as hooved shoes as part of the craft. To make the effort manageable, contributing crafts should to isolated to either pre-existing mid to low level items from all crafts, or one new specialized item from a single contributor. Contributing crafts and the final buff should NOT have the 1 week time restriction currently on level 600 crafts, as it should have the potential for open production.

Abuse Prevention

No abuse. These should be a one time or specified limited time use item like most other fort buffs, but it should be accessible to everyone, not just those who can afford to nugget buy special items from the Bond Shop.

Unlike traditional fort buffs, which are under unknown use by other players, the cavalry buff would need to be made clear to all with modified markers. The role that each buff plays could be as significant as individual character classes in battle, could create a significant shift in battle strategy and thus it should be well known who is using them.

As an alternative, rather than being a static buff, I considered that these items could be crafted steeds and left hand guns, the drawback being that they would likely only fall into the hands of the game-wealthiest players, as we already see with the collective nature of the Crafter's Challenge weaponry.

Visual Aids

Aforementioned special marker during fort battle.

playerimage_edited-1_zpsaadcc8b8.jpg

Summary

The Master Saddler craft has continued to be the least interesting, least desired craft of all, and it is increasingly more difficult to find players who want to engage in this craft. With the exception of the invention of fort buffs, fort battle has not changed significantly in recent years. The introduction of these more complex Saddler crafts, which would finally legitimize the Saddler both as a trade and in fort value, would also inspire new strategy and fort gameplay.:up::donkey:

Administration

Does this idea meet the Ideas Guidelines & Criteria? Yes/No
Does this idea appear on any of the Previously Suggested Ideas List? Yes/No

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser35174

it is a very good idea but at the same time the people who pick master saddler in my opinion want the speed buffs and work motivations because they choose to work rather than FF or duel and so those buffs help them, but FF and dullers usually pick blacksmith for example because they know that they will be using buffs made by blacksmiths.

DeletedUser30899

I like this. It would make saddlers useful for something other than providing canteens for other crafts.

DeletedUser28189

it is a very good idea but at the same time the people who pick master saddler in my opinion want the speed buffs and work motivations because they choose to work rather than FF or duel and so those buffs help them, but FF and dullers usually pick blacksmith for example because they know that they will be using buffs made by blacksmiths.

TRUST me... I really thought the saddler craft would blossom into something more substantial when it all started, and I picked it because there was a gap to fill with everyone doing Smith, Ped or Cook. I just had a different vision of what it could be than what ultimately came of it.

DeletedUser35174

don't get me wrong it is a brilliant idea. Im just saying from experience that saddlers usually know what they're walking into, but overall it is a really good idea and I'm behind you the whole way

DeletedUser

Every other crafted buff has something available from the bond shop which is similar and usually better. Giving saddlers something completely unique puts all other professions at a disadvantage. I also really don't see why a saddler would be the primary profession for a cannon instead of a blacksmith. That makes no more sense than a field cook.

DeletedUser

The idea of the cannon could definitely be a joint project between multiple professions but is probably not as realistic as the horse idea and would probably be rejected by Inno as it would be too difficult to implement and allow for fairness between the different crafts. A possible solution could be to provide the same level 700 recipe for all crafts of create a fort canon where a part or 2 must be collected from each of the 4 crafts and combined together by anyone, allowing for equality between crafts.

I like the idea of the battle on horseback but it should be tweaked to be an attacking buff which as per Medfly's idea gives greater LOS but no improvement in dodge, and greater movement such as the movement of 2 sectors maximum.

At the end of the day, these top buffs that can really impact a fort fight won't be implemented unless there is a nugget/bond shop alternative so Inno make there money, or remove cash from the game. It would also have to be a high level 500+ (if not higher) recipe to make it rare.

DeletedUser30224

Every other crafted buff has something available from the bond shop which is similar and usually better. Giving saddlers something completely unique puts all other professions at a disadvantage. I also really don't see why a saddler would be the primary profession for a cannon instead of a blacksmith. That makes no more sense than a field cook.

That doesn't mean Saddlers shouldn't be used in crafting components required for the cannon. Blacksmith can make the frame-cannon, saddler creates the spurs and straps and pulleys, tonic peddler can do the gunpowder or actual bomb-shells, and field cook eehm ... something for him as well I suppose.

DeletedUser22493

I like the Cavalry buff. I think your on to something there, however, it should be a little more simple.

DeletedUser

I like the Cavalry buff. I think your on to something there, however, it should be a little more simple.

Yeah, that part was logical, but it does need to be simplified. I forgot about one obvious exception to my bond shop argument: dueling damage buffs, plus comparing skill buffs to LP buffs is a bit of a stretch. The biggest problem is complexity: a buff that affects basic mechanics. The extra movement speed outside the fort could also be overpowered for attackers.

DeletedUser28189

That doesn't mean Saddlers shouldn't be used in crafting components required for the cannon. Blacksmith can make the frame-cannon, saddler creates the spurs and straps and pulleys, tonic peddler can do the gunpowder or actual bomb-shells, and field cook eehm ... something for him as well I suppose.

Someone has to feed all these hungry folks :)

DeletedUser

Positive feature - Multiple adjacent sector movements per turn outside of fort! Probably limit to 2 sectors max.
Positive feature - Nominal Fort Sector Bonus (attack and defense)
Positive feature - Nominal Damage Bonus
Negative feature - Limited interior sector positioning and movement. It's not likely that a horse is going to get in a tower or on top of a building, but they would be able to mount walls and cross through gates. For the sake of being reasonable, the horse could "scale" or jump off the wall.
Negative feature - Nominal Negative Bonus Inside of the Fort (sitting duck on a tall horse)

Negative feature - Limited interior sector positioning and movement. Similar to the cavalry buff, movement on fort structures would be limited to walls and gates.
Negative feature - Negative Defensive Bonus. Siege weapons are slow and don't dodge well!

I was liking the idea but then something jumped out at me and instead I'm not a fan at all.
Such fort buffs would end up being supplied to Advent types. In the hands of premium advents it would make this character type an already bigger nuisance (in a nice way at present) at battles. The negative features mentioned above would have little or no impact on this character type.

DeletedUser28189

I was liking the idea but then something jumped out at me and instead I'm not a fan at all.
Such fort buffs would end up being supplied to Advent types. In the hands of premium advents it would make this character type an already bigger nuisance (in a nice way at present) at battles. The negative features mentioned above would have little or no impact on this character type.

If given such powers, I shall not give my special gifts to a ghost! :p

DeletedUser34194

If I'm not mistaken cannons are featured in the "Do not suggest" list as having already been thrown out. I agree saddlers should have some type of buff to add to FF but I imagine something simpler yet keeping in the "movement" theme, like a leadership bonus ala Vegetable dumplin. Theoretically this would help your movement over other players with less leadership as it does now and not be a complete game changer. None of the FF buffs available now give major advantages one way or the other after all, it's just a little extra "oomf".