Dueling level restrictions

DeletedUser25480

EDIT:added a new idea into the details

Proposal
I think that a new dueling level system should be implemented where there is a restriction on the players levels in a duel rather than dueling level.

Current Workaround
Cant see any other workaround apart from being a 0 motivation dueler....

Details
for example a lvl 55 soldier is in the dueling range of a lvl 85 dueler he is simply going to be farmed on a daily basis until the lvl 85 gets out of his range, i believe there should be a system that limits the maximum character level that can duel, say 25 levels either side?(merely a suggestion and could be changed), this prevents events such as this occurring and would definetly improve the dueling system in my honest opinion. Dueling level should also be a way of showing how good people are at dueling rather than a hindrance, how about make duels able to be carried out on all characters within a certain range?

Abuse Prevention
Cant really see how this could get abused

Summary
I think if this idea was implemented it would definetly improve the dueling in the game, the dueling levels would still be in effect it is simply a restriction stopping people with huge level advantages forcing other players to stop playing. I think this would increase the amount of exp duelers and would increase the activity of duelers fighting for competition in the dueling rankings

Administration
Does this idea meet the Ideas Guidelines & Criteria? Yes
Does this idea appear on any of the Previously Suggested Ideas List? No

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser22493

If the lvl 55 is within the range of the lvl 85, then he has a really high dueling level, while the lvl 85 doesn't. Meaning the lvl 55 is a more experienced dueler then the lvl 85.

Isn't it fair the the lvl 55 can be dueled by the lvl 85?

DeletedUser

I'll vote no on this idea. Reason? The whole motivation + duel level mess is badly implemented. And it's easy to "correct" everything by one simple change to the system:
You can't challenge a player who's level (XP level NOT duel level) is lower than yours.

This solves what? Motivation factor is practically removed, you can challenge anyone who's your level or above you. So level 15 can challenge level 115 but it can never happen vice versa. No need to remain zeromot at all.

Does it change anything? It does actually, as you must assume you'll get dueled by someone with lower level than you are and thus you can't neglect your tactics completely like current zeromots do.

Where can it fail? Duel motivation is already an utter fail and instead of removing it completely, devs are making it even more complicated and that leads to more fails. First the problem of abuse emerged with christmas cookies. Then dueler class got an "unwanted" duel motivation restore. Then crafting introduced useable items that restore duel motivation, I ask you what's the point of such item if none will use/buy it?

I could write more but I won't. Sagaris, sorry but... Can't support your idea. Yes, it's a nice idea, but it still doesn't solve the initial problem where top duelers, real duelers who got duel level 200+, can't enjoy dueling anymore because zeromots escaped them by remaining low dueling level.

DeletedUser25480

in my opinion no, the lvl 85 could be a 0 mot or simply just respecced to a dueler, i don't really think its fair to be able to duel people who have that sort of level difference and I've been on both sides of it >.<

DeletedUser25480

I'll vote no on this idea. Reason? The whole motivation + duel level mess is badly implemented. And it's easy to "correct" everything by one simple change to the system:
You can't challenge a player who's level (XP level NOT duel level) is lower than yours.

This solves what? Motivation factor is practically removed, you can challenge anyone who's your level or above you. So level 15 can challenge level 115 but it can never happen vice versa. No need to remain zeromot at all.

Does it change anything? It does actually, as you must assume you'll get dueled by someone with lower level than you are and thus you can't neglect your tactics completely like current zeromots do.

Where can it fail? Duel motivation is already an utter fail and instead of removing it completely, devs are making it even more complicated and that leads to more fails. First the problem of abuse emerged with christmas cookies. Then dueler class got an "unwanted" duel motivation restore. Then crafting introduced useable items that restore duel motivation, I ask you what's the point of such item if none will use/buy it?

I could write more but I won't. Sagaris, sorry but... Can't support your idea. Yes, it's a nice idea, but it still doesn't solve the initial problem where top duelers, real duelers who got duel level 200+, can't enjoy dueling anymore because zeromots escaped them by remaining low dueling level.

fair enough, i see where you are coming from but i don't think many people would support an idea like that either Joxer >.<

DeletedUser

I knew someone will say that... Not you though, but regular zeromot spammers.
And I really don't care if the idea will be supported by them. My targetted audience are duelists like infiniti99. Y'know, those "suckers" that got to duel level 98457895 and now can't enjoy dueling against players but can duel only NPCs. Why wouldn't we do a favor to them instead of pampering zeromots?

DeletedUser25480

And I really don't care if the idea will be supported by them. My targetted audience are duelists like infiniti99. Y'know, those "suckers" that got to duel level 98457895 and now can't enjoy dueling against players but can duel only NPCs. Why wouldn't we do a favor to them instead of pampering zeromots?

very good point and it has given me a new idea to add to mine , if we are using infiniti as an example he would be able to duel all 100+ no matter his dueling level, it would just be a way to show how good people are at dueling rather than a hindrance

DeletedUser

Yes but by setting boundaries to +25/-25 you're not doing a favor to low levels and newcommers. No player who just started the game and is level 1 wants to be dueled by level 25. To be challenged by another level 1, yes, why not? There is a chance to win that one. Also if you're for example nonresistance duelist level 40 and by researching rankings you know which player level 80 you can win (just find who's pure construction for example)... You can't challenge him because his level is "too high" although you "feel" you'll win that duel.

DeletedUser25480

Yes but by setting boundaries to +25/-25 you're not doing a favor to low levels and newcommers. No player who just started the game and is level 1 wants to be dueled by level 25. By another level 1, yes, why not? There is a chance to win that one.

hmm how about it slowly increases then?

E.G:
lvl 1 can duel lvl 1-5
lvl 10 can duel lvl 5-15
lvl 15 can duel lvl 10-20
lvl 20 can duel lvl 15-30
lvl 30 can duel lvl 25-40
lvl 40 can duel lvl 35-50
lvl 50 can duel lvl 40-60

or something along those lines?

DeletedUser

If zero mot dueling is the problem, the solution isn't to give everyone the benefits of being a zero motivation dueler.

DeletedUser

I, frankly, hate dueling levels and feel strongly that it is a punishment to those who duel or are dueled. By just standing there, minding your own business, you go up in dueling levels for being a victim of duels. By playing the game as intended and dueling a lot, you end up eventually prevented from dueling players.

zeromot is presently the only way to ensure you can duel other players. You dont gain xp, but at least you have a good time and occasionally collect pocket change. Still, there's the issue of victims gaining duel xp and thrust into higher duel brackets.

While your idea has merit, it doesnt effectively address the issue. I keep coming back to the idea of dueling xp being a sort of fixed penalty for dueling. I'm inclined to think dueling xp should dissipate after time. Either that or remove it altogether. A standard xp system level limit may be an effective route, but it doesnt differentiate between classes.

I think maybe the limits should be adjusted according to class. For example, have a fixed duel level for characters, based on their standard xp. A dueler's fixed duel level (fdl) could be xp-10, a soldier's fdl could be equal to their xp, an adventurer's could be xp+10, and a worker's could be xp+20. In this manner, duelers can duel other duelers up to 10 levels below him and up, can duel soldiers at equal level to him and up, can duel adventurers 10 levels above him and up, and can duel workers that are 20 levels above him and up. Granted, this doesn't work correctly in the reverse, so it's not quite right.

A bit more thought needs to be put into this. We don't need patches, we need an overhaul.

DeletedUser22575

The solution to the problem IMO is to do away with dueling levels period. You would gain exp from duels and go up levels just like doing any job. There would just be one level...your character level.

You would still have a dueling range..say 20 or 25 levels up or down..

Is it possible for there to be any thread no matter what the subject without you being a complete troll and ranting about Zeromots Joxer?

Not only are you a complete troll, you are an uneducated and ill informed one. Current Zeromotts are not neglecting Tactics.

DeletedUser

How's about an outright penalty for dueling a level 'too low' below your current level? So whatever is decided to be too low (xp, actual level gap, whatever), the system assigns either a time-based penalty or a one-time fixed penalty.

Time-Based penalty:
I'm thinking of something comparable to how the NPC dueling 'difficulty' increases as you pick on more of them. Only in this case, instead of the NPC getting harder, say the effect of your skills in dueling gets reduced by 5% cumulative each time you duel someone 'too-low'. Let's say this effect is mitigated by increasing your skills 'effect' by 1% per hour or something like that.

Fixed-Penalty based:
By dueling someone 'too low', you get taxed something like $1000 (independent of the cash you may win from the duel or bounties). If this takes you to below zero, then the system denies you that duel...

Oh, and the 'too-low' calculation would obviously have to be a moving scale based on your current dueling 'record'. Note how I used that qualitative word since I don't want to directly tie into the current XP level or dueling rank system.

Finally, make the 'too-low' calculation public by tagging the players 'dueling level' publicly (like achievements) and explaining the calculation. Or heck, make it easy by having a 'will i get penalized by dueling this person' button/simulator somewhere on game screen.

DeletedUser

well, that's arbitrary, at least put some structure around that 'rule' Rebow! ;-)

DeletedUser22575

If anyone below you can duel up and hit you...then you have to be able to duel down to hit them.

No free shots for lower levels. Which is why you have to have a range you can duel in.

DeletedUser

high dueling levels are some what of a pain in the rear. They should never mess with them. I am a dueler and that dueling level shows people im good. It is also one thing in the game i look forward to raising. People who like fort battles have there xp and rankings, people who like questing have lots of quests. ect.....

i am a high dueling level dueler and i love it. yah its hard to find people to duel. but if i could duel everyone level 100-120 it wouldnt be fun. i like a challenge and want to duel the best not some level 120 fort fighter or pure trader. If people with high dueling levels didnt want them then they would duel a lot more or attack people that give them like 30 xp. i for one try and hit top 15 duelers. well sometimes i go lower if they are close, but thats only because i havent dueled in a day or 2 and need my duel fix.

i vote no. i chose a high dueling level and i love it even if i have to travel 6hrs for 200 duel xp. remember on world 1 i cant cut transit time in half