Adding a distance effect to fort weapons

Slygoxx

Another idea from the .nl forums, I hope you'll give some positive feedback.

Hi, I'd like to present the following idea (original post: http://forum.the-west.nl/showthread.php?t=22144)

In fortbattles certain conditions affect how accurate you shoot and how much damage you inflict on your opponent (examples: the distance between you and your opponent, whether you are on a wall/tower, whether your class is the same as that tower's, ...)

But what does not affect the damage you inflict so far is the distance between you and your opponent (only your accuracy is affected by distance).
This leaves room for a separation in guns: rifles and shotguns.

In reality rifles are overall more accurate than shotguns, but shotguns are way more effective in close range (due to the shrapnel).

Making this separation in fortbattles would improve the experience of the battles: people with low accuracy but high leadership/dodge/... and a shotgun would make perfect close quarter gunners (shotgun accuracy decreases over long range but increases at short distances due to the shrapnel).
While people with a high accuracy but rather poor dodging skills will make perfect long-range riflemen (they don't have to catch much bullets as the gunners are the frontiers, yet they increase the assaulting force its firepower).

When applied, this will also force the gents leading fortbattles to "invent" new tactics.

There was a poll for the idea on the Dutch forums, 21 people were in favor of this idea, and only 3 were against it. Not many votes, but a huge majority was in favor nonetheless.

Greetings,
Kijk Ik Heb Een Vis

Note: I merely put it up here. All credits go to Kijk Ik Heb Een Vis.

DeletedUser

No.

Why no? It's not the gun that should grant you precision, but your own hands. While you're talking about real life, you forget that the weapon master will turn even a rusty weapon into a deadly machine that never misses the target.

There is something else I have to add into that. And that is the nasty and rediculous fort fighing formula. In numerous occasions, a player with 100 aim and 100 leadership and 100 stamina is standing on a wall. Under him, in the adjacent box, not sector only, but the box, there is a defender who has every single AP in strength and all SP in health. What happens? The attacker - MISSES. TWICE. Excuse me?
The solution of this idiocy is simple, the formula doesn't only take aim/dodge/stamina/hide/lead but adds also HP into precision values and also gives bonuses to it (on 210 HP you probably get +9 bonus to aim/dodge).
I mean... If you want to bring some logic into fort fights, start with the current fort fighing formula that boosts aim and dodging even on health points skill.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Hehe, if you don't believe me try to get the proof HP doesn't grant you the aim/dodge bonus - you won't be able to.
But then again, the fort precision formula is rewritten in version 1.29, so maybe devs will remove it.

DeletedUser

>>No.

>>Why no? It's not the gun that should grant you precision, but your own hands. While >>you're talking about real life, you forget that the weapon master will turn even a rusty >>weapon into a deadly machine that never misses the target.

oh really? gun doesn't grant you precision?
try to hit a target with a distance of 100m with a handgun,
and try it again with a rifle, and tell me how you do.

weapon mastery does improve you accuracy based on the weapon, but weapon itself is always the most important factor (of course, if you are talking between AUG and M16, then that turns dubious.)

go get a shotgun, i'll get my AR180 (i am in California, thanks to the gun shows),
and we should shoot each other at a 100m range and see how we do.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser24592

>>No.

>>Why no? It's not the gun that should grant you precision, but your own hands. While >>you're talking about real life, you forget that the weapon master will turn even a rusty >>weapon into a deadly machine that never misses the target.

Until the rust cause's it to blow up in ya face! lol I think that adding range to weapon damage is a great idea, it will certainly make fort battles a lot more interesting. The only problem i can see with that is it may cause prejudiced to people with short ranged weapons trying to get a "rank" in fort battles!

Deleted User - 1278415

How do you add range to a weapon in real life?

Im not much of a gun man, but I'd think it would rely on the type of propellant or gun powder used.

Now the shaft which the bullet is expelled through is precise/rifled will cause a bullet to proceed more accurately to its target... but it does not help distance. As if you think about it rifling adds some friction to the bullet that is expelled out of the weapon as it spins, which once it leaves the barrel the bullet begins to drop due to gravity. (Ive watched Mythbusters on Discovery channel)

And shortening of the barrel is not helpful either, since your fighting gravity it causes the bullet to drop sooner.

I'd say it comes back to the bullet being pushed out of the weapon needs to be lighter....

so until the game gives you the ability to choose your bullets, I'd say this concept of adding distance to your shots for accuracy/damage is not going to happen.

DeletedUser

How about dynamite in your backpack allows you to blow a hole in the fort wall or to lower the level of it by 1 level per 3 dynamite?

Deleted User - 1278415

Sam, while humorous, please stay on topic. We are discussing existing fort weapons.