Resolved Developing Scripts... is it ok if...

DeletedUser

I post a script that shows every job on the map? (Even jobs you are nowhere near being able to do).

The script is finished... I have it working 100%, my only concern is that this may violate the rules in some way (since it modifies certain game aspects). I am not going to post it public until I get confirmation from a Sheriff / Deputy / Community Manager... so some input would be nice so if I CAN post it (without breaking rules) I can get the script up and running for others to use and enjoy.

It doesn't modify anything that can be used to gain an unfair advantage in the game... it doesn't change the way the game client works... it simply tells the map to draw all the jobs (which are already available to the game client in local memory)... so it's not a cheat or anything, just something useful that someone asked if I could do.

alljobsmod.png

Awaiting your response :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser13020

Actually that would be a nice little thing to have. Just have to wait to make sure its ok. It seems fine....to me. There are scripts that allow you to do much more than than just look around. Like little shortcuts to open up hotels and banks and others. But you should really wait to see what an in game mod says about it. Then it would have to be looked over by somebody to make sure its good. See what others think about it.

DeletedUser

How about you develop it into an add-on:)

Click the link in my profile, I already have a fullscreen add-on with additional navigation buttons.

I'm not going to add this script to my existing script, as some people might not want to have it... but I will be releasing it as an additional script for those who choose to use it.

This isn't a script that you paste into the address bar... it is a GreaseMonkey addon that loads automatically when you play the game.

DeletedUser8627

I saw a script on the .de forum that was posted so I don't think you will have a problem having it.

Best to wait for an admin to verify that it's ok.

DeletedUser

bumping this because it's off the first page... just want to make sure someone can get to this question. I PM'ed redmanphil about something else about a week ago, then PM'ed him again when I posted this... the day after I posted I got a message from him responding to my telegram a week ago (got my hopes up thinking I got a fast response)... and he didn't even mention my 2nd message :(

Maybe he was going through some of his messages and didn't realize I sent him 2 things?

DeletedUser8627

Phil is busy looking into this one. He knows about it so you should get a response soon.

DeletedUser

I think you just post it and let forum admins to decide what they want to do. If its illegal - they will take it down.
If its ok in other servers it should be ok here.

DeletedUser

April Fool?

No... unfortunately I don't share the same humor as the dev's as to build up anticipation for something that would be very desirable... just to slap it in your face with an "APRIL FOOLS" medal.

As soon as I hear from Redmanphil (or whoever else can authorize me to release this to the public), it will be on the External Website Forums (where you can find my FULLSCREEN script).

Hope this clarifies for anyone else thinking this may be a hoax.

DeletedUser

We can't do anything without seeing the script. If it just has a list of job locations that it uses (external I assume, or the script would be huge), then it's probably fine. If it somehow tricks the game into thinking you should be able to see the job, it's not.

I really don't see much point in it myself. The only possible reason for wanting to see the locations of jobs you can't do is to found a town, but that's an extremely limited reason.

DeletedUser

A person who does not have a high level character on any world can use it to find the best spot for locating his future character.

DeletedUser

Not worth the trouble. There are some great spots, but for the most part, the distance to jobs averages out.

DeletedUser

I really don't see much point in it myself. The only possible reason for wanting to see the locations of jobs you can't do is to found a town, but that's an extremely limited reason.

Or maybe some of the newer players that don't have level 99's on every world would be interested to actually SEE the jobs ingame rather then see an extremely long list of jobs on weststats or thewestinsider.

For myself, I used the script maybe 2 or 3 times on each of my characters and it became quite annoying as the jobs that I was able to do previously were then flooded by a plethora of jobs that I was nowhere near able to do.

I'll send it to you Elmyr. I can rest assure it does nothing that would "CHEAT" in any way. By looking at the script as a non-programmer... you would think that it is modifying something it shouldn't be, but I can guarantee you it doesn't do anything to your game account other then enable all the jobs on the map.

DeletedUser

FTR, after thinking about it, I'm not so sure there would be any problem with forcing the server to show the jobs, because it seems like there's a good chance that the reasoning for it is not bombarding new players with jobs they can't do.