Cannons

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

The idea is to make canons for fort-fightings.

How do you obtain canons?

To obtain canons you have to built a barrack

A barrack has 5 levels

(the barrack could be) located here:
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4389/28409491.jpg

What is the price of a canon?

Canons are very expensive

The price varies from

3000 $
For the cheapest one, up to

20.000 $ for the most expensive one

How many types of canons are there?

There are roughly 2 types of canons:

12- ad 24-poiunders, the main difference is that 12-pounders shoot once a time, whereas 24-poiunders shoot twice at a time. The 24-pounders are stronger than the 12-pounders (see different types of canons)

Ps a 12-pounders from barrack level 4 is better than a 24-pounder from level 2!

What is the difference between the canons?

Canons vary in:

Reach (how many holes one canon can reach)

Damage (how many damage one canon can provoke)

Time to reload (how many times can a canon shoot)

Hp (this depends on the fighter that is fighter with the canon)

How do I use a canon?

The fighter that starts the fortfight, decides how many canon he/she wants to put in game.

The defender can do the same through the barrack.

How many canons and which types of canons , depends on the side of the fort

Small fort :0 canons

Middle size fort : 3 canons each side with a maximum level of 3

Big fort: 5 canons with a max level of 5

Very important

A canon takes the space of 4 players.
http://www.easy-upload.nl/index.php/file/204b4b39831f3e4
It takes 1 persons to handle the canon (normal layer)
He/she cannot move during the fight and doesn’t shoot himself
Canons can be destroyed by other canons. They are only destroyed for that specific fight
Canons can only be bought by the citycouncil or towncouncil

Hereby a list of the different levels of canons (2 extra canons each level that a barrack wins)

Level 1
Catapult
Damage 50-120 (3 x3 20%)

1 shot at a time

$3000

130% hp of the owner

12 pound Ordnance rifle
Damage 180-200 (2x2 30%)

1 shot at a time

$4000

140hp% of the owner

Level 2

24 pound Ordnance Rifle
Damage 360-400 (2x2 50%)

2 shots at a time

$500

140hp% of the owner

Parrott gun

Damage 100-300 (2x2 30%)

1 shot at a time

$7000

150hp% of the owner

Level 3

24-pounder Parrott gun

Damage 200-600 (2x2 50%)

2 shots at a time

$10.000

150hp% of the owner

12 pounder Howitzer
1 shot at a time

Damage 150-200 (2x2 30%)

$14000

160% hp of the owner

Level 4

24pouner Howitzer
2 shots at a time

Damage 300-500 (2x2 50%)

$16000

170 hp% of the owner

12 pounder Napoleon
1 shot a t ime

250-270 damage (2x2 30%)

$18000

180% hp of the owner

Level 5

24 pounder Napoleon

2 shots at a time

Damage 50-600 (2x2 50%)

$20000

200 % hp of the owner

Special

3 shots at a time

20-1200 damage (3x3 40ù)

$20000

150% hp of the owner

Canons always hit!

() beyond the dame : new

2x2 = the aim , the canon hits several points inside several holes

2x2:
Atd33Zmu

3x3: http://easy-upload.nl/f/dc1RHMZr

..% : this is the amount of damage in the orange holes, red is always 100%

Last edited by a moderator:

Harsha..

your idea is well thought out, i'll gladly endorse it

but, the damage of the "special" cannons needs to be lowered a bit as, you say - "cannons never miss", with three shots from a special cannon an average damage of about 600 can be achieved, this might be overpowering, and can result in attacks ending way too quickly

does the person managing the cannon get the EXP from all the damage inflicted, or is it a percentage of the total damage, which gets the person EXP?

also, if a fort is taken over by the attackers, what happens to the defending side's cannons?
are they taken by the attacker, or can the defenders retain them?

also, can they cause damage to the walls and towers as well as to players?

one more minor detail - in the pic you showed, the cannons seem to be "fixed", can they be rotated during the battle to shoot in different directions?

Last edited:

DeletedUser

I will post the awnser asap I just need some time (other people on the DUtch server are also helping with this idee)

Oh and sorry for my Englishe

DeletedUser16124

I made the awnser for darkbow (my english isn't wonderfull, so excuse me for my mistakes):

the damage of the ''special'' cannon is nearly the same as the damage of the 24 puond napoleon. (I thougt). this is decouse te also can hit with 60 damage.
the ''owner'' of the cannon get's a percentage of the damage inflicted by ''his'' cannon.
when the fort is taken, the defenders keep their cannons, and inverse.
a canon don't damage walls, or towers, and can shoot to different directions.

DeletedUser

1. The barracks are already taken, yes, in forts, not in towns, but still, barracks have nothing to do with artillery. Their use in forts is their use IRL. I think "armory" is the word you're looking for.
2. Cannons (a canon is something else) never miss? Ridiculous.
3. Cannons can only be destroyed by other cannons? Ridiculous.
4. $20k for over 600 average damage? Ridiculous.
5. For that matter, $3k for 50-120 damage is ridiculously high.

So basically if one side has at least one cannon and the other side has none, the side with the cannon automatically wins?

It takes the place of 4 people? I'd rather have 4 more people on my tower than 1 with a cannon, although that's without taking into consideration that the guy with the cannon is effectively immortal if the attackers don't have one.

I really don't like it, not even a little bit. If cannons were really to be implemented, they would need to do structural damage to the fort, not just turn it's wielder into an invincible killing machine. I disagree that it's well thought out. The thinking seems to have stopped at the idea "cannons would be awesome!"

DeletedUser16124

1. indeed, we needed that word
2. I've never seen someone who can aviod a cannon ball of 5kg...
3. srry for this little mistake, cannons can be dystroyed y cannos, and players
4. a connon is extra, so I always would buy some
5. a catapult does avarage 228 damage each turn, so I think it's rather cheap, than expansive.

we didn't want to let cannons do structual damage to the forrt, becouse we were the game would go out of ballance.

DeletedUser

You probally can't dodge a 5kg cannon ball, but they can still miss.

A breech-loader does 200-296 dmg.
If you got 4 of those it's much better than a catapult.

The cannons should only be used when you're lower level, or got many places left and you could fill them out with the cannons.

DeletedUser16124

a catapult is the weakest of all, and you can have and a catapult, and 3 other people.

DeletedUser

I like the idea to some degree but not really much. The idea has many gaps. The question for me here is how move the cannon. You can't expect it to be carried around by the wielder like if it was a rifle. I think 2 or 3 players operating this would be too complicated.

Council members of the fort's owner town can set the positions of the cannons before the battle starts. But in case they don't, the cannons would have default starting positions. On the attackers side, the cannons will be positioned to whatever place the most crowd is.

My idea is that, it can only move 2 blocks a round. Depending on the cannon, it should occupy 1 to 2 blocks and a player sits behind it and uses it. When he gets to it, he presses a button to equip it and once equipped, he can only move 2 blocks a round unless he unequips it and moves away.

The hitting ratio should also depend on the skills of the user. The damage the cannon can inflict will range on its type. It should range from 35% damage to the enemy's health to 70% per hit. The cannon can fire, 1-2 shots per round.

The user of the cannon should also have slightly a little more resistance to the damage when he gets hit but not when he gets hit by another cannon.

If he moves away or gets killed, then the cannon should stop operating. Another player on the same side can then take his place and continue fighting. Also, you can't manipulate the enemy's cannon even if it gets deserted. You can only use the cannon in your side of the alliance.

The attacker's cannon is owned by the town that calls the attack so if they have not bought any cannons, they can't bring one in the fight.

The defender's cannon is owned by the town that owns the fort.

Any other allied towns and other associates cannot bring their own cannon.

The maximum number of cannons in fort battles should be 3 in each side so obviously, you need the strong ones in big battles.

The town that loses the battle, don't lose the cannons. They remain as property of the town and can reuse them if they call another attack.

If you look at a fort that is under siege before and during a fort battle, you can clearly see that there are people with cannons surrounding it.

DeletedUser

Also, I do not agree with the catapults. They are obviously Medieval and not Old West style.

DeletedUser

I think that not just Aim and Stamina/Hiding should be used when you fire a Cannon. Tactics should be used too. Also I think that the player holding a cannon would have a onus of Dodging

DeletedUser

Also, I do not agree with the catapults. They are obviously Medieval and not Old West style.

Of course having slingshots don't really fit the theme either. I don't recall any example in the Western genre of a gunfight with slingshots. Crossbows are also anachronistic. I don't know how often bows were used by a fort's defenders rather than its attackers either.

I'm not saying I don't agree with you, but there is precedent.

5. a catapult does avarage 228 damage each turn, so I think it's rather cheap, than expansive.

Oh, I didn't understand the area effect thing. Your math is off though, it's 221 damage: (85 * 0.2 * 8) + 85 = 221. In that case, these things are more overpowered than I thought.

Now that I do understand, I'll add...

6. A catapult has a higher burst radius than a real cannon? Completely ridiculous.

I was going to calculate just how overpowered the top cannon was, but you apparently haven't figured out how a 2x2 burst works either, with no center square.

Oh, the 2x2 one isn't the best, I forgot about this, because of the confusing "Special": 3 * [(610 * 0.4 * 8) + 610] = 7686 damage per round...for $20k? More ridiculous than I thought.

A precise Winchester does an average of 256 damage per turn for $15,400.

"Special": $20,000 / 7686 damage ≈ $2.60 / damage
Precise Winchester: $15,400 / 256 damage ≈ $60.16 / damage

$60.16 / $2.60 ≈ 23.14 times as cost effective as a precise Winchester. When you take misses into account, the Special cannon could easily be 100 times as cost effective as a precise Winchester. This might be the single most unbalanced idea in the history of this section.

we didn't want to let cannons do structual damage to the forrt, becouse we were the game would go out of ballance.

It's already unbalanced.

You talk about realism with the cannon's never miss thing, which is just plain wrong. Laser guided smart bombs miss. Of course 19th century cannon miss!

To reiterate, you had the idea that cannons would be cool and put no effort into balancing them, trying to make them as devastating as possible, because more powerful equals cooler.

DeletedUser20647

I said it was cheap too, but it might be nice with a few changes, like making changing the price to 20x as much as it is now.

Diggo11

You lot will have to go back to your Dutch drawing board. Two main errors here, the idea in unbalanced and certain features (such as strike rate) are predetermined by other factors or currently not available.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.