Random Events

DeletedUser

Hey, I don't think this was suggested before since I searched it and saw no thread suggesting this.

What about Random Events?I'll list the random events below.

Bad Water
Text:When you were travelling you took a drink from your water and got sick.You realised it was bad water.You lose (insert number) of Health Points.
You're traveling and you have some bad water and drink from it.You get sick and lose some HP.

Stampede!
Text:A cowboy let some bulls run loose and on your journey they attempt to knock you down but you dodge them easily and gain a reward.(If you dodge them).
Text:A cowboy let some bulls run loose and on your journey they attempt to knock you down and you lose (insert number) of HP.
If you dodge them you get 1 skill point to either relfex or dodging but it is randomly decided.

Bag of Cash
Text:You found a bag of cash and see nobody around to claim it so you take the bag with the cash.You gain $(insert number).
You find some cash in a bag.Easy as that.

Tough Ride
Text:You meet a man and he asked you to see how long you can last on the horse.You attempt it but only stayed on long enough to get 2nd place.The man thanks you for trying while you continue on your journey.

Blastfire
Text:While you were travelling you checked if your gun was still working and by accident you pulled the trigger.You lose (insert number) of Health Points.
Pretty much by accident shot yourself.

Thiefs
Text:When you weren't looking a thief snuck up on you and stole $(insert number).
A thief stole some of your cash.Pretty common.

Rotten Meat
Text:Your meat today was gone rotten and you ate it.You got sick and lose (insert number) Energy Points.
Gone off meat.Special energy point decrease.

Crazy Old Prospector(Job=Prospecting)
Text:While you were traveling you found a gold nugget.While you picked it up and examined it a prospector ran up behind you and you just got away with the nugget.You sold it for $(insert number).

Helping
Text:You meet a man and he says you to help him to make a windmill for he's farm, you made one and he gives you a special reward.You gain one free skill point.
Credit to Fossil1999 but with a little tweak of my own.I think a free skill point would be better than just cash.

Hunting
Text:You meet a group of men and they ask you if you want to hunt with them.You said yes and joined them.While hunting a shot from a rifle frightened your horse and it threw you off and you lost (insert number) of Health Points.

Careless People
Text:Someones been careless today and left a/an (insert item's name) and you see no one to claim it so you take it for yourself.

Cowboy
Text:a cowboy asks you to help him drive the cattle to the next field,
you say yes and did well, he gives you (insert item's name). (if you do very well)
you say yes and did fine, he gives you $(insert number). (if you do fine)
you say yes but your horse threw you off, you lose (insert number) Health Points.
All credit to fossil1999 on this one.With none of my tweaks.

As well.If you think an improvement can be made on one please reply with your improvement.
One random event may happen between every 12 to 36 hours(1 day and a half).

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

This really doesn't seem to have any point at all. The bandit one sounds just like a regular player attacking you, and the stampede just seems pointless as there is no benifit or reward.

DeletedUser

Agreed with train robber. It is a neat idea, but one that I am not sure I can personally see working. Maybe if it gets fleshed out more.

DeletedUser

This really doesn't seem to have any point at all. The bandit one sounds just like a regular player attacking you, and the stampede just seems pointless as there is no benifit or reward.

The idea is random events, those are just two examples, and there probably should be some that have no effect.

I've always liked the idea of some sort of random events, but you need more details. I don't like the idea of being townless and carrying tens of thousands of dollars and not wearing dueling gear and being attacked by an NPC of my level who is equipped and specced for dueling.

DeletedUser

The idea is random events, those are just two examples, and there probably should be some that have no effect.

He never mentioned that they would have rewards in the first post, and other than winning against the bandit and taking his cash/XP, I didn't see any confirmation that you could get rewards from them. I also pointed out that the bandit looked mainly like a regular dueler dueling you.

I would like to see them happen to people ouside of town like you mentioned, but maybe a dueler attacking townless folk might not be the best idea. I'm sure that one of the reasons to leave town is so that you won't get dueled and lose since you have poor dueling skills, and making it so that you can be randomly dueled out of your town doesn't sound good.

Maybe you could have the random events like the stampede or maybe an indian attack happen all the time and have a greater chance of happening while you're outside of town? And adventurers could have some sort of character advantage that would make them less likely to happen or have them be more likely to "win" in the events.

DeletedUser

I'll keep that in mind.I'm going to delete the bandit one and replacing it with hunger and thirst(lose HP).
I'm adding some ones that benefit you.I'm going to make one with no advantages and disadvantages... named Tough Ride.

DeletedUser

Any ideas on other random events will be added in with your name on it.

fossil1999

i like this!
and heres a Improvement:
helping,
text:You meet a man and he says you to help him to make a windmill for he's farm, you made one and he gives you $(insert number) dollars,

DeletedUser

i like this!
and heres a Improvement:
helping,
text:You meet a man and he says you to help him to make a windmill for he's farm, you made one and he gives you $(insert number) dollars,

I think an LP bonus would be better, or maybe just a straight bonus to all numbers, and maybe an automatic tool box.

Edit:
Err, I was thinking the random events would occur on jobs. I didn't notice that they were traveling. That might actually be more interesting, but if the rewards outweigh the risks in might be exploitable, unless there was a certain minimum distance requirement, or at least have the effects weighted based on distance. I could see certain events interrupting your journey as well, leaving you halfway to your destination.

DeletedUser

Answering the above statements.
I'm going to include some into jobs.Like the one with the prospector into prospecting.
As well I don't think everything should include Cash.Instead one free skill point.I think this idea is going well.I'm adding one called "Hunting".

DeletedUser

You could maybe find An Item or even clothes!!

Or you could Get robbed and loose some money and health.

DeletedUser

Finding an Item.... might put in one where you find an item deserted and take it.
Looks like most people agree to this.

DeletedUser

At the first time a read this idea I didnt like it, but now I like the idea and think could work..

fossil1999

here are more Improvements:
Cowboy
text:a cowboy asks you to help him drive the cattle to the next field,
you say yes and did well, he gives you (insert item's name). (if you do very well)
you say yes and did fine, he gives you $(insert number). (if you do fine)
you say yes but your horse threw you off, you lose (insert number) Health Points.

DeletedUser

Nice.I'll add that as well.Fossil you're great help since I didn't have a clue of other Random Events.... hope to have alot soon.

DeletedUser

Might have to credit half of the whole thing to you.
OT:I think that this idea is a good one.

Good or Bad?