Frontier

DeletedUser

What do you guys think of a frontier for new worlds. This was the border between ''civilized'' America and the rest during the discovering of the new land. So I was thinking, how about we add this to the game. It has ofcourse some changes on the gameplay, let me explain.

The Frontier in T-W are the area's who change with the availability of forts. There are two kinds of Frontiers (struggling with the name so give me some suggestions):

- The Unknown: This part of the map has no fort at all. Here you get a couple of bonuses and some disadvantages. For Jobs in this unknown area you get a disadvantage on your Salary and Danger. Your salary drops by 25%* and the Danger rises 100%. The positive side of the frontier is that you get a 50% bonus on the experience you gain. Also your luck of finding items is increased by 25%. As soon as 1 fort has been constructed the frontier goes to the next level.

The Labour points required for the following jobs drop by 25%:
- Hunting Turkey (42) 32
- Cutting Trees (47) 36
- Trading (84) 63
*Example (Green=Normal, Blue=Frontier)
Trading
Salary: 15% | 7%
Experience: 3% | 6%
Luck: 25% | 38%
Danger: 12% | 24%
Labour Points: 84 | 63
- Exploration (111) 84
- Cathing Horses (134) 103
Cathing Horses
Salary: 29% | 21%
Experience: 45% | 67%
Luck: 0% | 0%
Danger: 42% | 84%
Labour Points: 134 | 103
- Hunt Coyotes (140) 105
- Hunting Buffalo (178) 136
- Hunting Wolves (207) 156
- Trading with Indians (223) 168
- Selling Guns to Indians (257) 193
- Hunting Grizzly Bears (280) 210
Hunting Grizzly Bears
Salary: 25% | 18%
Experience: 78% | 90%
Luck: 35% | 43%
Danger: 71% | 95%
Labour Points: 280 | 210
- Treasure Hunt (293) 220
- Peace Negotiations (336) 252

- First Pioneers Arrived:
I'll finish this Frontier as soon as I got more feedback

*this is 25% from the total salary, so for example if you have a loan of 40% due to this cutback you'll only get 30% of loan. This is for all the disadvantages and bonuses

New Team Jobs
To add to the frontier Idea I made a new teamjob. This Job can be done on certain places. There are different ones which need different amount of players and items. These jobs will have fixed rewards. The skills of all the persons attending will be put together to reach the labour points. The one's I made are far from done. I know they need a lot of tweaking with rewards and requirements. Ofcourse once I got some feedback I'll improve them and make more of these.Two Examples:

Setting up a Trade Post
required skills: Construction 2x, Leadership, Repairing, Trading.
Time: 6 hours
Min. Persons: 2
Labour Points: 500
Products: Wood 10x, Maps 1x, Saw 1x, Sledge Hammer, Spade, Tool Box 2x, Flag of the Union
Reward: $5000,- (divided by the attendees), Smuggle Goods
Experience: 1500 (divided by the attendees)
Luck: 75%
Danger: 40%

Repel the Indians
Required skills: Shooting, Stamina, Setting Traps, Appearance, Tactics
Min. Persons: 4
Labour Points: 900
Products: Maps 5x, Horn of a Cow 5x, Everyone needs a Fort-Weapon
Reward: $6000 (divided by the attendees), Medal of Honour
Exp: 3000 xp (divided by the attendees)
Luck: 20%
Danger: 75%

Ofcourse these are basic outlines, I know a lot has to chance in the percentages, bonuses etc. Give me your view on the idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I do like this idea. I'm not sure about the decrease in labor points in a certain area. Then people would just flock to that one area and just stay there and do jobs...

and the team jobs seems to make the game too complicated...

DeletedUser

There is a lot to figure out, it's in the beginning stage of developement. And I think you have a good point HnS, Because it might take a while before the forts actually are constructed it could lead to to much abuse.

And about the team jobs, It's a part of the Frontier. Jobs that are only available in the frontiers with special requirements. Also to boost to need of teammates in the game and use products even more and they align with the stuff that happened back then.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

i like it but wouldent the money be more scince your risking more and the luck be lower beacuse there is less people

and would the west part off the map be the unknowen

DeletedUser

i like it but wouldent the money be more scince your risking more and the luck be lower beacuse there is less people

and would the west part off the map be the unknowen

The idea of getting less money is because there are less emplyers in unknown area's. Also because you'll only have frontiers in the beginning of the game (before the forts) I believed that it would rather need an experience bonus in the beginning then a money bonus. I'm working on the second level of frontier which provides you with more money.

DeletedUser

New Team Jobs

To add to the frontier Idea I made a new teamjob. This Job can be done on certain places. There are different ones which need different amount of players and items. These jobs will have fixed rewards. The skills of all the persons attending will be put together to reach the labour points. The one's I made are far from done. I know they need a lot of tweaking with rewards and requirements. Ofcourse once I got some feedback I'll improve them and make more of these.Two Examples:

Setting up a Trade Post
required skills: Construction 2x, Leadership, Repairing, Trading.
Min. Persons: 2
Labour Points: 500
Products: Wood 10x, Maps 1x, Saw 1x, Sledge Hammer, Spade, Tool Box 2x, Flag of the Union
Reward: $5000,- (divided by the attendees), Smuggle Goods
Experience: 1500 (divided by the attendees)
Luck: 75%
Danger: 40%

Repel the Indians
Required skills: Shooting, Stamina, Setting Traps, Appearance, Tactics
Min. Persons: 4
Labour Points: 900
Products: Maps 5x, Horn of a Cow 5x, Everyone needs a Fort-Weapon
Reward: $6000 (divided by the attendees), Medal of Honour
Exp: 3000 xp (divided by the attendees)
Luck: 20%
Danger: 75%

Ofcourse these are basic outlines, I know a lot has to chance in the percentages, bonuses etc. Give me your view on the idea.

Great Ideas on team jobs so how about adding these types of jobs:

Rounding up Cattle (It will take a all or at least 10 members of your town doing the same job for 8 hours on the same day)
Branding the Cattle (unlike the job, it really takes more than one person. Again, 10+ members of the same town Branding Cattle for 4 hours on the same day)
Cattle Drive (before trains, Cattle had to be driven long distances to the Stockyards. You have to go from East Point to West Point, like in the railroad quest, but everyone has to do the same cattle related function during the same day to get to the next county step and there is a different step/task for each county - could take a week or more to complete, especially when you consider the dueling that occurs.)
Sell the Cattle (Make it like a Quest)

"The Town Bank has been robbed"
Initial Shoot out (you always loose)
Gather a Posse (10+ members)
Track the bandit (he moves from county to county and can only be seen by members of the posse if they are in that county ... small possees will take a long time and a bit of luck to find him).
Take on the gang (Requires at least 10 people to simultaneously, within 5-10 minutes, to duel the gang - success means you capture them all, failure means that they scatter so you have to hunt them again)
Make the conditions for victory either 1. Majority win or 2. all must win.

You could have a lot of fun with this one.

Diggo11

Gravvity, this concept of this idea looks really good. Well done :)

However I have two main concerns. Firstly forts are not perfectly constructed from right to left. If one person builds a fort in the extreme far West, does that mean the frontier will immediately reach the West and be removed? Secondly what will stop people camping on the frontier border, swapping between the unknown and known every two hours to get the ideal bonuses?

DeletedUser

Hello

Diggo11 i think i have a suggestion to prevent camping on the frontier.
We suppose that the second part off map will be unknown not only unknown in the terrain aspect but unknown in the aspect that we don´t know who rule on that side.
My sugestion to prevent that tip of thing is:

1º When somebody try to go to the other side it has a small % to be ambush by a npc

2º Once inside off the unknow territory and time to time dangerous random event can happen like a bandit try to robber the player or a bear try to attack him ( this tip off things ) and the longer the player is on the unknown territory more often can happen thous random event´s.

The strength and strategy off the npc/animal that attack will have a random skills (or something like that)

Have a good game

Diggo11

Well the second solution wouldn't really help but the first would. I'm thinking that I'd just join a town behind the frontier, work my XP jobs there and only cross for two hours at a time whilst I preform cash and luck jobs. However if there was a chance of some sort of penalty for crossing over the frontier that'd stop this.

DeletedUser

If anything luck should decrease. If no one has been there before you to drop an item, there won't be anything to find.

Diggo11

It could do either really. For example Indian clothing, gold and other natural resources would be plentiful, however shirts, hats and shoes would be quite hard to find.

DeletedUser

Historical information is needed here, I think. There is no "unknown" frontier, as such, during the time setting of this game. The Westward expansion had happened earlier in the 1800's, this game is set in the late 1800's, possibly the early 1900's. The west was explored by that time. In fact, there were already 38 states within the Union and The Dakota, Montana, and Wyoming territories would soon become states.

Although, I think game balance must also be considered, too.

DeletedUser

neat really neatly put..
and i like idea of the posse too, & make it more interesting for the dueler class.

DeletedUser

Historical information is needed here, I think. There is no "unknown" frontier, as such, during the time setting of this game. The Westward expansion had happened earlier in the 1800's, this game is set in the late 1800's, possibly the early 1900's. The west was explored by that time. In fact, there were already 38 states within the Union and The Dakota, Montana, and Wyoming territories would soon become states.

Although, I think game balance must also be considered, too.

True, plus the setting of the game is the frontier. It's been pretty thoroughly mapped by this point, but it's the frontier nonetheless.

DeletedUser

So any Ideas for stuff that should be in it or some historical information ?

DeletedUser

Hello

Well, considering the historical information about western i think in all western history there were many dangerous places, mostly were with native people.
Thouses places they live were considered very dangerous on that time, that why when moving around to go to other´s far citys many people hire gun fighters to protection or when moving with the cow´s ( cow drivers "not sure the correct name in english").
This frontiers that we are talking about could be such places like that...
Sow when speaking in historical i think such frontier exists and it was true.

Sorry some phases, but not sure how to explain beater.

Have a good game

DeletedUser

I tried to give it that effect by raising the danger percentages on all the jobs and giving it an experience bonus. I'll try to find more historal facts and implement them in the idea.

DeletedUser

True, plus the setting of the game is the frontier. It's been pretty thoroughly mapped by this point, but it's the frontier nonetheless.
I think that that pretty much nails it. I think that the primary problem is with the use of specific words. I use the word Frontier to mean unsettled, whilst you use it to mean territorial. If that is the case, then I agree, the entire map is frontier, and thus it is already a part of the game, in its absence.

DeletedUser

I think that that pretty much nails it. I think that the primary problem is with the use of specific words. I use the word Frontier to mean unsettled, whilst you use it to mean territorial. If that is the case, then I agree, the entire map is frontier, and thus it is already a part of the game, in its absence.

Unsettled means no tows/cities or any kind of serious economic activity. So I think the entire game is not a frontier. Constructing a train station, branding cattle, putting up fences etc. sound to me like pretty economic jobs. I think there's room for an idea like this but I agree it needs some work.

DeletedUser

I really really appreciate this Idea!
And there could be jobs (not just team) that could be only be found far in the frontier.

There could be cool too if there would be Indigenous villes around there, and in these places there could be items only found there, or already existing Indian things, but for cheaper prices.