Doomsday Scenarios

DeletedUser

This is not a thread to talk about specific doomsday scenarios (2012, Apocalypse, End of Days, Ragnarok, Y2K, etc), it's to discuss why people are so inclined to believe such things, so much so that sometimes they try to "make" it happen.

What are your thoughts on this social phenomenon?

DeletedUser

Well, this goe along a pretty standard formula. If people do not have an answer to a question, they believe in any answer, even if it is unbelieveable. For example, if a mother is distraught about her son getting autism, and she can't get over it, she blames vaccines. So, if people do not know when it will all end, they will believe anything!

Oh my god. My calander ends on December 31st, 2010. WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!
[spoil] Or it is time to get a new calander. [/spoil]

DeletedUser13682

people are fascinated with death, and whats more fascinating than the near simultaneous death of 6.5 billion people?

DeletedUser

I think there are different reasons.

One of the biggest is a fear of the unknown combined with the desire to be part of something important. These people feel better knowing when something bad will happen than constantly wondering about it. I think they look for signs of it coming within their lifetimes so they can be here for the "second coming" and possibly meet and aid "Christ."

Another is just gullibility. Those with the strongest fears convince others who are more gullible that their fears are founded.

Another is that some people are just looking for some kind of sense to the seemingly senseless violence, disease, natural disasters, etc. Rather than seeing them as natural parts of life, they see them as omens of something important and hopefully better.

There are actually probably almost as many reasons for believing as there are believers. I don't doubt that the world as we know it will some day end. It doesn't really matter to me whether it's in my lifetime or not; I have never expected to live forever. Whether what's written in the Bible, and other religious text, is true or not, I don't believe that I've been "pure" enough in my life to be considered one of the chosen worth saving. :razz:

DeletedUser

people are fascinated with death, and whats more fascinating than the near simultaneous death of 6.5 billion people?

The Death Of 6.5 Billion Purple Hippos?

What Is It With All You People?
Just Because There Isn't Any Proof That Something Will Happen Doesn't Mean You Should Condemn It As A Lie!
Just Sit Down, Chill Out, And Open Your Mind

DeletedUser

The Death Of 6.5 Billion Purple Hippos?

What Is It With All You People?
Just Because There Isn't Any Proof That Something Will Happen Doesn't Mean You Should Condemn It As A Lie!
Just Sit Down, Chill Out, And Open Your Mind

I remember somebody else saying the same thing. He said the world would end on November 27, 1979 and nobody could say he was crazy until November 28th (if they were still alive.) He ended up institutionalized, and the world has continued long after that date.:razz:

DeletedUser13682

I also have a story. The father of some of the children my friend helps babysit though the world was going to end earlier this year, based off some calculations that he had done. He spent his family's life savings, over $30,000 on gold, silver, and water. His wife got angry, cut holes in all the water bottles, and he now has to sleep on the floor, and he can't use any electronics until he pays back all the savings.

DeletedUser

What is the meaning of these spamming quatrains? This thread has gone la-la pretty quickly!

DeletedUser

This is not a thread to talk about specific doomsday scenarios (2012, Apocalypse, End of Days, Ragnarok, Y2K, etc), it's to discuss why people are so inclined to believe such things, so much so that sometimes they try to "make" it happen.

What are your thoughts on this social phenomenon?

ahem...

DeletedUser

Yes sir! I deleted them, even though it's hard to talk about why someone believes in something without discussing what it is they believe in. :p

DeletedUser

Indeed it is, but it would help if you actually got into actually discussing the "why." :p

DeletedUser

I already did that in my earlier post. It was just too boring to bring about any discussion.

Reactions: Gem

DeletedUser10480

Read the book, "Why People Believe Weird Things" by skeptic, Seth Shostack.

Interestingly, a NASA administrator has reported he gets numerous mails from people worried over the Mayan prophecies. At least 2 of them , according to his interview on NPR, plot to kill her children to 'spare them suffering'.

.....Another wants him to tell her when to have her dog put to sleep.

....Other people have sold their belongings and moved to the mountains.

Can we have a return to an age of Reason please?

DeletedUser

You Know, If The World Does End You Guys Are Gonna Look Reeeaaaaaly Stupid

Your Always Discussing Why People Beleive In Things That Cant Exist.
Try Talking About Why People Beleive That Things Must Be A Lie.
I Think That You Guys Are At Least As Scared As People Who Beleive In The Apocolypse, You Just Deal With It Differently

DeletedUser

You Know, If The World Does End You Guys Are Gonna Look Reeeaaaaaly Stupid

Your Always Discussing Why People Beleive In Things That Cant Exist.
Try Talking About Why People Beleive That Things Must Be A Lie.
I Think That You Guys Are At Least As Scared As People Who Beleive In The Apocolypse, You Just Deal With It Differently

How would we look stupid? If the world does end then nobody is there to call us stupid. I'd think we would look rather dead.

DeletedUser

See. Denying Any Possibility Of Afterlife!
Isn't That Typical

And in what way do terms like "stupid" matter in a post existence Utopia? Surely, the continual glow and ecstacy you enjoy in the afterlife means that you will not bother yourselves with such petty smugness. Or does your deitific belief include gloating as a character trait?
What a fantastic place that must be!