ghosts, apparitions, and the paranormal.

DeletedUser

Do you think that ghosts, apparitions, and the paranormal are real? or is it just some kind of hog wash to make some good TV shows?

(Im not sure why this was not made into the topic of the week being that "all hallows eve" is this week)

DeletedUser

(Im not sure why this was not made into the topic of the week being that "all hallows eve" is this week)
Indeed, good point Giz. I don't celebrate Halloween, so didn't think about it.

Do you think that ghosts, apparitions, and the paranormal are real? or is it just some kind of hog wash to make some good TV shows?
No substantiating evidence, with all the claims made so far being debunked, so I'm inclined to take on the scientific position, that it is hogwash.

There's plenty of money in stoking people's fears. Just ask Bush Jr. ;)

DeletedUser

It's silly superstition and all bullcrap, and it doesn't make good tv-shows either.

I will not waste my time trying to prove the non-existence of something.
Instead I'll lean back and wait for solid proof advocating the existence of the paranormal.

DeletedUser8950

Feel Sorry For Ya
Thats A Complete Lie. There Are Thousands Of Ghosts And Ghost Stories That Have Never Been Disproved

Lol
Please Type Normal, You Hurt My Eyes!

Agree with what JR said. People will always believe in the paranormal though, no matter how much proof they are provided. One slightly strange event among millions of mundane ones is not proof of the paranormal, though it seems to be for many people.
Oh well.

DeletedUser

It's silly superstition and all bullcrap, and it doesn't make good tv-shows either.
Yeah, I can't believe the TV series "Charmed" endured for eight seasons :rolleyes:. But there's been some decent films over the years - The Exorcist, Poltergeist, Rosemary's Baby, The Omen, The Entity, to name a few.

I will not waste my time trying to prove the non-existence of something. Instead I'll lean back and wait for solid proof advocating the existence of the paranormal.
You'll be waiting a long time JR.
I think the existence of the paranormal will always be confined to the Science vs. Faith debate. Religious folks will likely be more inclined to "believe" in the paranormal, whereas those grounded in science will likely dismiss it as unprovable. Of course these are gargantuan generalizations and there will be many that fall into the grey abyss.

An interesting case is that of Anneliese Michel, a devout catholic - allegedly possessed - whom initially sought psychiatric help for her "mental" condition, but ended up having an exorcism to rid her of the demons after modern medicine (circa 1970) failed to "cure" her. Whether or not she was mentally ill or possessed by demons is debatable but, as a catholic, her belief system ultimately led her and her family to believe she was possessed.

DeletedUser

Oi, stepping back to my earlier post, debunking is not the same thing as proving a negative. Debunking is where someone presents something as proof of a positive, and someone comes around and debunks that proof, or proves the proof as invalid. As John indicated, you can't prove a negative, and in the case of ghosts, apparitions, paranormal, you can't prove they don't exist primarily because you haven't defined how they do exist. And, once someone defines how they do exist, if there is any means to measure their existence, the definition itself is invariably debunked, but not the belief itself.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser5046

i think some people doesnt believe it exist because of fear. while some believe in it because they are able to sense it or feel it ^^

* i just dunno if JR believe on tis kind of stuffs because he doesnt believe in God *

and for those people who doesnt believe in it not because of fear, i think its because of te fact tat some people are not aware of their existance or just doesnt believe.

if im not mistaken most of te believers of ghosts believe on te presence of soul on living things. and sometimes there are just things tat cant be explained.

DeletedUser

First off, my not beliving in god isn't what makes me not belive in ghost.
I don't belive in either, because neither makes sense, nor have their existence been proven.

Secondly; there is no need to fear that which is not real, so why should one chose to not belive in something due to fear? If you have the fear, then you do belive.

Thirdly, any person whom senses the souls of the dead should seriously check up on their mental health.

DeletedUser5046

well i do believe in paranormal things....because it was in te family...i mean i cant really explain it . . .

there are some times i thought it is ridiculous to believe on those kind of things... but when it comes or felt or experienced by to someone you know faith comes knocking at your door.

i think one of te most known paranormal thing is called Exorcism, and it DOES have something to do wit faith in God. if you dun believe in either, i understand and respect your opinion.

*you know im dumb at debating, so im just posting my opinion on te topic ;)*

DeletedUser14280

I like to think that ghosts don't exist, because anyone with such unfinished business would probably manifest as something physical to perform their duties. Just saying.

So, what do you suppose was the first ghost story in written history?

DeletedUser

I think there may be something behind some of the paranormal experiences people have, but I doubt that it's what they think. I'm not so impressed with humans that I believe they (we?) already know about everything in this world. It's very possible that things do exist that we don't have the knowledge or equipment to study yet, but I don't expect ghosts to be among them.

I've also had people say they think I have strong psychic abilities, but I don't think there's anything "extra-sensory" about it. I tend to be rather perceptive, and notice sounds, movements, etc. more than most people around me. I'm very good at reading people, and seem to be able to predict fairly well what consequences their actions are likely to cause. It's not because I see the future, it's that I believe that actions usually cause somewhat predictable reactions/outcomes.

DeletedUser14280

Are you two going to start quoting from The Exorcist now? Just asking.

Let's talk about ghost ships.
Does anyone want to discuss The Flying Dutchman?

DeletedUser5046

Are you two going to start quoting from The Exorcist now? Just asking.

Let's talk about ghost ships.
Does anyone want to discuss The Flying Dutchman?

tat's on spongebob...we dun need to talk about him..and i think tat one was made up for pirates :D

DeletedUser

I'm a very "show me" type of person when it comes to this stuff. Of course, no one has ever been able to "show me". They make claims and want me to believe their claims (or point to the claims of others), but absolutely no evidence that they can point to, themselves.

DeletedUser13113

What do you think controls ouija boards?

One of the person's hands that is on the pointer. I mean, come on! It's hard to take Ouija Boards seriously when so many are made by Parker Brothers and marketed as a GAME!

Plus, take a look at what it translates to: Yes Yes Board (Oui - french for Yes and Ja - German for yes).

DeletedUser

Actually, the name ouija was supposed to have come from the Egyptian word for luck. It wasn't until someone else took over the company that made them that the yes-yes meaning was stated.

DeletedUser

I Like The Point About Ghost Ships.
The Flying Dutchman, The Palatine, Lady Lovibund, Libera Nos, Firebird, Captain Kidd, Captain Morgan, The Great Eastern, The Mary Celeste?

Could There Be So Many Stories With No Truth At The Base?

*Insert Exorsist Theme Here*

And Ouija Boards Work Because The People Move The Glass Subconsiously.
If You Dont Beleive Me Try It Without Calling On Any Spirits.