Melee or Ranged?

DeletedUser

I'm confused on how to tell what my i should use based on my silks. What skills are better for melee/ranged?

DeletedUser

For details, search. The merits of firearm vs. melee have been discussed in depth many times.

Basics:
Vigor: melee damage
Shooting: firearm damage

The other dueling skills are not specific to the type of weapon you use.

DeletedUser

anhlong is referring to vigor jobs, not melee dueling, but he is right. There are virtually no high difficulty vigor jobs. Prison guard uses vigor and melee. Vigor has two higher difficulty jobs. Shooting has 13 jobs higher than prison guard.

The big advantage melee has is probably the fact that there are three red (strength based) dueling skills - vigor, toughness, health - and only two blue (dexterity based) - aim and shooting.

DeletedUser

but any one can see that aim is much better than HP and only a little lower than both toughness and HP

DeletedUser

Yeah.. I'd have to go with Ranged.. It's much better in the long run..

Aside from what Sir Elmyr said, I'd have to say that one advantage of going melee, would be the possibility of acquiring Hernando's Sword, the strongest confirmed weapon in the game as of now... :)

DeletedUser3543

Yeah.. I'd have to go with Ranged.. It's much better in the long run..

Aside from what Sir Elmyr said, I'd have to say that one advantage of going melee, would be the possibility of acquiring Hernando's Sword, the strongest confirmed weapon in the game as of now... :)

Nope.

A sharp lumberjack axe has a max damage of 144, while Hernando's has a max damage of 125.

Ok, they're both mellee weapons, and Hernando's has the highest average hit point, but anyone with decent vigor should only be worrying about the max damage :)

DeletedUser

Ok, they're both mellee weapons, and Hernando's has the highest average hit point, but anyone with decent vigor should only be worrying about the max damage :)

Uhm... no. Vigor doesn't make max damage anymore likely and thus not more important than average damage either. Hernando's is better.

DeletedUser14280

That's only because Hernardo's Sword is shiny.

Vigor increases the damage you do with a melee weapon.
Toughness decreases the damage you take from a melee weapon.
Health Points increase your health, and by extension, reduce the chances of you being knocked out.

Dodging makes you harder to hit in a duel.
Reflex reduces damage you take from a ranged weapon.

Aim improves your chances to hit with all weapons.
Shooting increases the damage you do with a ranged weapon.

If you challenge another player to a duel, your apperance will increase your attack power.
If you are defending against another player, your tactics skill will decrease your opponent's attack power.

Does that clarify things?

DeletedUser

If you challenge another player to a duel, your apperance will increase your attack power.
If you are defending against another player, your tactics skill will decrease your opponent's attack power.
the attack power, i saw 2 fomula about it and i have know idea where that guy have them

DeletedUser

anyone with decent vigor should only be worrying about the max damage

So with high shooting, you should choose the precise pepperbox over the precise revolver no. 1?

That's...umm...some real great advice there. :nowink:

DeletedUser

but the best normal range weapon is better than the best normal melee weapon

DeletedUser

So with high shooting, you should choose the precise pepperbox over the precise revolver no. 1?

LOL.. Again the sarcasm never fails to amuse me.. :)

Btw, mistergadlif, It's not better just because it has higher damage.. Hernando's is way better because of the average damage.. Plus the stat bonuses... right Sir Elmyr?

DeletedUser3543

If you want to do more damage - and have high shooting - then yes, why wouldn't you?

I'm not sure how often - if ever - this formula has been quoted or tested, but it makes sense for the testing I've done...

Maximum damage of weapon x 3= maximum potential damage
Minimum damage of weapon x 2= minimum damage of weapon gainst 0 reflex

But, as I previously mentioned there is the 'average damage' to take into account for the weapons, and the defensive stats of your opponent....

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

But still I would go for the Precise Revolver No.1

I mean, common sense tells us that the creators of this game put a higher price on Precise Revolver No.1 since it is a better weapon than the precise pepperbox...

Having higher damage does not mean that it is better.. We should take into consideration the "average damage" of a weapon since it is the, err.. average damage that we do everytime we duel...

DeletedUser3543

But still I would go for the Precise Revolver No.1

I mean, common sense tells us that the creators of this game put a higher price on Precise Revolver No.1 since it is a better weapon than the precise pepperbox...

Having higher damage does not mean that it is better.. We should take into consideration the "average damage" of a weapon since it is the, err.. average damage that we do everytime we duel...

Hhhhmmmm I wonder where I've seen that phrase before...

But, as I previously mentioned there is the 'average damage' to take into account for the weapons, and the defensive stats of your opponent....

DeletedUser

Then you contradicted yourself by saying that a weapon with higher max damage is better than one with higher average damage...

Wow.. You even provided the evidences.. Thanks for proving my point... :)