Inexplicable duel damage

DeletedUser

On W-2 I have a L 57 melee dueler with Vigor (86).

I know from the rankings that player A has Toughness (86) which is the same as my Vigor (86). I have dueled Player A many times and my average hit is 30.

Player B's Toughness is not on the top 15, so the most his Toughness can be is 68. My hits on Player B average 20 damage per hit.

Player C's Toughness is 68 and my average hit is 90 damage per hit.

Note that these are all hand hit averages and my weapon has not changed.

Player B did not change his gear for my duels. My Vigor has not changed for any of the duels.

For the life of me I can not figure out how Player B is able to mitigate my damage so much when his Toughness is not on the top 15 ranked players.

Note the player B does have 115 Reflex which should not matter for our duels since I am Melee and Reflex should only mitigate damage from Firearms duels, but something certainly seems askew.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

1-What about dodging?
or
2-What if all you think to be correct about dueling.. isn't?
or
Both

DeletedUser

Dodging shouldn't have anything to do with damage per hit and fyi I hit player B 8/8 rounds in every duel, so his Dodging must be very low.

DeletedUser

Yea it should just be, weapon and Vigor V's Toughness, dodge aim and the rest are just weather you hit or not.

So 65-95 damage, I dunno, are all the dodge stances the same?

For example if you aim at their right hand but they dodge the right way you can still get a successful hit but does it come with a cost of less damage?

Get the other player to stand still on round 1 and 4 every time, then hit his arm then ask them to dodge the correct way and see what happens?

DeletedUser3543

Maybe you've stumbled on one of the effects of tactics....

DeletedUser

Player A and B dmg could make sense to me. I don't know how the dmg is calculated exactly, but I would assume it's following the concept of diminishing returns.

Looking at how the level up system is designed one could actually also expect that the incremental dmg allocation is done via level system too:

e.g.
level 0 damage = 0 incremental dmg -> requirement: (Vigor/Shooting-Toughness/Reflex =<0)
level 1 damage = 5 incremental dmg -> requirement:(Vigor/Shooting-Toughness/Reflex <3 =>1)
level 3 damage = 10 incremental dmg -> requirement:(Vigor/Shooting-Toughness/Reflex <8 =>3)
level 4 damage = 15 incremental dmg -> requirement:(Vigor/Shooting-Toughness/Reflex <18 =>8)

Just some initial thoughts. I can't explain the player C dmg though. This could only be to weapon fluctuation + potentially a luck factor that is not only applied to aiming/dodging but also dmg.

DeletedUser

Tactics should only effect Aim and these aren't just one time duels with one hit in each duel.

I've dueled all the players many many times ... 5-20 times each with dozens of hits on each to get a good average.

Player C also has high Reflex (65)

Player levels are also close enough that there shouldn't be any weirdness going on due to player level - I'm L 57.

Player level A = 54, B = 59, C = 58

DeletedUser

All it's left is a random luck factor then that is applied and decides on dmg the same as it is done for XP when working.

Cheers,
Bonez

DeletedUser

Are these tests or are you actually duelling them to win?

Hmmmm just spotted you in W4 but to low to experiment with you, I am level 44, nice gear btw for a 26 level :)

Back on topic, I'd put my last dime on it being a successful hit when the player dodges the correct way.

It should work like this in the Dodge v's aim scenario:

If player A has 20 dodge and player B has 41 aim, then player B will almost hit every time regardless of player A's stance, assuming Tactics v's Appearance are the same on each player.
A successful hit when the player dodges the correct way must penalize the damage your doing.

DeletedUser

These are all duels to win -

I hit player B in every round in every duel - I suspect he has no Dodging or Tactics.

The range of hits is very narrow for all the duels... this are my hits on the last duel versus Player B

Strike: Left shoulder - 19 HP
Strike: Right arm - 16 HP
Strike: Right arm - 22 HP
Strike: Left shoulder - 27 HP
Strike: Left shoulder - 23 HP
Strike: Right arm - 19 HP
Strike: Right arm - 19 HP
Strike: Left shoulder - 19 HP

ps I have better gear on W-4 but I can't wear it yet cause my level is too low - did you look at my duel record ? :p

DeletedUser

Haha you been beating on builders or something?
622 wins and only 813 exp is shocking :p ...... jokin

I know it's your motivation is very low all the time, well it must be.

DeletedUser

I attack everyone worth XP which means upto about character level 38. I've cleared 2.5 squares worth of towns so far.

(Cleared = attacked everyone worth XP to me in a town.)

I only repeat attack players when I can take more then 50$ off them.

DeletedUser

I've cleared 2.5 squares worth of towns so far.

(Cleared = attacked everyone worth XP to me in a town.)

When are you coming to my square? You haven't attacked me for a while. :)

As player C in this story I must agree with you. The duel mechanism is often hard to understand. I have also tried to figure out the damage-calculations, but it must be more complicated than the rules says. It's not just vigor vs toughness.

DeletedUser

Are you including their toughness/reflex from equipement as where you are look just shows base stats. (I think)